• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Let's see where the speculation goes:

PM, GG unveil medal for Queen's diamond jubilee

Prime Minister Stephen Harper says a special emblem and a commemorative medal will be produced to mark the Queen's diamond jubilee next year.

He says the medal will be awarded to Canadians who have made outstanding contributions to their communities and country.

Continued at link.

Why's the really nice side always gotta be on the reverse?

ModlrMike said:
Let's see where the speculation goes:

Instead of turning this thread into a repeat of the wailing and gnashing over the QGJM distribution, let's wait until some facts are known.

Staff notice: Attempts to stir the imaginary pot or incite the rabble may be deleted without warning. Questioning why your dubious post was deleted may invite a warning.

My apologies. I did not intend to repeat the QGJM debate.

On further reflection, let's lock this until further details are available.

I can't pick out the wee little writing, the portrait is the front?

a Sig Op said:
I can't pick out the wee little writing, the portrait is the front?
The effigy always faces forward.

Details:
Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal

Fact Sheet: Link
FACT SHEET ON THE QUEEN ELIZABETH II DIAMOND JUBILEE MEDAL

A new commemorative medal is being created to mark the 2012 celebrations of the 60th anniversary of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II accession to the Throne. The Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal will be a tangible way for Canada to honour Her Majesty for her service to this country. At the same time, it will serve to recognize significant contributions and achievements by Canadians.

The Chancellery of Honours, as part of the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General, will administer the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal program.

The inaugural presentation ceremony of the Diamond Jubilee Medal will take place in 2012. Further details will be announced in due course.

Description of the medal

The obverse depicts a crowned image of the Sovereign, in whose name the medal is bestowed. The reverse marks the sixtieth, or diamond, anniversary of the accession to the Throne of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. The anniversary is expressed by the central diamond shape, by the background composed of a pattern of diamonds, and by the two dates. The Royal Cypher consists of the Royal Crown above the letters EIIR (i.e., Elizabeth II Regina, the latter word meaning Queen in Latin). The maple leaves refer to Canada, while the motto VIVAT REGINA means "Long live The Queen!"

The ribbon uses a new arrangement of the blue, red and white colours found in the 1953 Coronation Medal, the 1977 Silver Jubilee Medal, and the 2002 Golden Jubilee Medal.

The design of the Diamond Jubilee Medal was created by the Canadian Heraldic Authority, as part of the Chancellery of Honours.

Eligibility, selection criteria and distribution process

Information on the nomination process, eligibility and selection criteria, and distribution of the Diamond Jubilee Medal will be available at www.gg.ca/diamondjubilee :  at a later date.

FACT SHEET ON THE CREATION OF A NEW CANADIAN HONOUR

The Canadian Honours System was instituted in 1967, with the creation of the Order of Canada. Canadian honours recognize significant achievement, bravery and exceptional service to Canada or to humanity at large. Their creation follows a legal approval process, which may take several months, and which concludes with the approval of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, as the Sovereign of Canada.

This is a significant departure for Canada in that this particular commemorative medal has been approved and designed prior to any (publicized ) decision by the UK government concerning any similiar Diamond Jubilee medal.  In the past (1977's QSJM and 2002's QGJM) the ribbons for both countries' awards were identical and there were only slight differences in the medals.

There is some speculation over at ARRSE that the practice used for Queen Victoria's Jubilee Medals may be followed in the UK.  The ribbon for both occasions was the same and only the wording on the reverse was different to indicate for which jubilee it was awarded.  If a recipient of the 1887 Jubilee medal was to be similarly honoured for the Diamond Jubilee, a clasp noting "1897" was added to the original.

http://gg.ca/document.aspx?id=14108&lan=eng

The medal is announced.

His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, announced today the eligibility criteria for the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal. The medal will commemorate the 60th anniversary of accession to the throne of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II as Queen of Canada, and pay homage to her six decades of service and commitment to our country.

In 2012, during the year of celebrations, 60 000 deserving Canadians will be recognized for their contributions to Canada or to a particular province, territory or community, or for their outstanding achievement abroad that has brought great credit to our country. They must also be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada. As well, this medal can be awarded posthumously as long as the recipient is alive on February 6, 2012, the date of the 60th anniversary of The Queen’s accession to the Throne.

The creation of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal was announced by His Excellency on February 3, 2011, in the presence of the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada. On this occasion, the design of the medal, created by the Canadian Heraldic Authority and approved by The Queen, was unveiled at Rideau Hall. The medal will be manufactured by the Royal Canadian Mint.

More on Link

So I wonder how this is going to play out for Service members?

Are they to be part of the 60,000? Will we have another lottery fiasco? Is there to be a special run outside the 60,000 for the military?

'Inquiring minds want to know!'  :D

recceguy said:
So I wonder how this is going to play out for Service members?

Are they to be part of the 60,000? Will we have another lottery fiasco? Is there to be a special run outside the 60,000 for the military?

'Inquiring minds want to know!'  :D

"Fiasco" is such a... well... appropriate word.

On the plus side, we've also got 2017 to look forward to, for the "Canada 150" medal that will go alongside the Canada 125 medal, no doubt.

Well, let me be the first.....  :stirpot:

If my name makes the list (seriously??  ;) )...I can only hope it's in the "awarded posthumously" catagory.
I prefer "earned" medals to "lottery" medals.

:pop:

Mind you, the colours are somewhat......Airborne'esq  ;D

I remember when it was for such distinguished activities as running the base Little League for a summer.  :(

So who's going to be the first CF member to wear the Canada 125, QGJM, QDJM and Canada 150........oh and a CD ??

CDN Aviator said:
So who's going to be the first CF member to wear the Canada 125, QGJM, QDJM and Canada 150........oh and a CD ??
Imagine spending an entire career in NDHQ.....  :-\

Journeyman said:
Imagine spending an entire career in NDHQ.....  :-\

Theoretically, there are still a few folks serving in NDHQ who also have a QSJM!  :eek:

As an aside, was there a very rare "Constitution Repartriation Medal" issued to a select few in 1982?

Hell yeah - just imagine being the guy at the party with a rack of medals from lotteries! I don't need no GCS, just lots of dumb luck!

I love the differences  in issuing seen here:

Canadian QDJM:

The medal is administered by the Chancellery of Honours at Rideau Hall and will be awarded to citizens and permanent residents of Canada who made a significant contribution to their fellow countrymen, their community, or to Canada over the previous sixty years. The medal can be awarded posthumously if the recipient is alive on 6 February 2012.

UK QDJM:

In the United Kingdom the medal will be awarded to members of the emergency services, Prison Service and Armed Forces personnel (Regular and Reserves) who have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2012. It will also be awarded to living holders of the Victoria Cross and George Cross, and members of the Royal Household.

Seems as though the Brits are drawing their line pretty early to forgo the "lottery" system. Seems as though CofH is leaving the door wide open for interpretation by those looking to expand their rack through paperwork rather than actually doing something.

Lets see how this goes on 6 Feb  :pop:

I'd like one but it means having to court mount the medals .....again......

Back