• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

Baden  Guy said:
I remember when it was for such distinguished activities as running the base Little League for a summer.  :(

When I was in the reserves way back when, about 15 Golden Jubilee medals were awarded at my unit, we were informed it was purely by computer lottery....the pattern of the pers receiving them was pretty clear in the sense of favouritism....Officers who barely did anything probably nominated each other, and I know of one guy who had 2 DUI charges pending withing 18 months of each other. More deserving people were never considered.

In the UK (wild guess of course) every serving military member who is in at the time the medal is released (terminology probably wrong) gets one. Once again, this sentence is based on hearsay....... clarification please from those who are well versed in this subject...

I believe in the UK, 5 years in will earn you this medal, makes sense to me.  No lottery, no old boys network, just a straight yes or no.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
What was the subject of this thread again?

Thinking up ways to weasel a QDJM out of someone so we can make our Chest racks look bigger......  ;D

Seriously though, Now that I have a GCS, and a CD on my chest I wouldn't have a problem wearing one of the "gimmie" medals like the Diamond Jubilee, but I also would make no bones about what it is... It's a "They gave to me and told me to wear it" medal... not like the Campaign Star (which some days I was convinced I was gonna get posthumously...  ) or the CD (12 years undetected crime or not, I'm still proud to have made the milestone, And I respect those who have it for having the dedication to country, esp the ones with one or two rosettes!)

I've also heard (Take it with a grain of salt for what it is worth) that some people just wrote their MP asking for the Gold Jubilee medal and why they felt they should get it, and ended up getting one...  So we'll see what happens with it...

My concern with the QGJM was the people who got it and then attempted to make it out to be this great big deal that "THEY" were "Awarded" it.....  ::) 

I think the UK has got the right idea 100%  Give it to EVERYONE in the Forces, and Lightbar Jobs with over 5 years in... Nice, simple, fair, and to the point... No schlepping around with it...

If only we could be so simple....

Governor General to Strike Diamond Jubilee Medal at the Royal Canadian Mint

http://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=14364

OTTAWA — His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, accompanied by the Honourable James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, and Mr. James B. Love, Chair of the Royal Canadian Mint Board of Directors, will participate in a symbolic striking of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal. This event will take place on Tuesday, December 6th, 2011, at 12:00 p.m., at the Royal Canadian Mint, in Ottawa (320 Sussex Drive).

On this occasion, His Excellency will deliver an address and strike the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal, created to mark the 2012 celebrations of the 60th anniversary Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s accession to the Throne as Queen of Canada.

First announced on February 3, 2011, this commemorative medal is a tangible way for Canada to honour Her Majesty for her service to this country, and to celebrate significant contributions and achievements by Canadians. During the year-long celebrations, 60 000 deserving Canadians will be recognized. The medal will be manufactured by the Royal Canadian Mint at its Ottawa facilities.

Well here it comes.

The infighting over who should get it....let the games begin.

:pop:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you got one Jim.
It would certainly go well with the one you were awarded here;

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/96712.0.html

:cheers:

*awarded

What makes you think he hasn't already nominated himself for it (along with a few of his friends)?

MM

medicineman said:
What makes you think he hasn't already nominated himself for it (along with a few of his friends)?

MM

The CO of my unit back in the 90s did exactly that when the 125 medals came out. Talk about a revealing moment of truth!

In all honesty, who really cares?

To the people that do, it's a gimmie medal and will be seen for what it really is - nothing.

It will be met with the same rolling of eyes at Legions across Canada and rank alongside with the 125 and the Gold Jubilee, don't think it won't either.

At least to get a CD you actually have to do something.

57Chevy said:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if you got one Jim.
It would certainly go well with the one you were awarded here;

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/96712.0.html

:cheers:

*awarded

Thanks - then I have to remount all the medals.....

Queen given early Diamond Jubilee bling from Canada
Postmedia News  Dec 20, 2011
Article Link
By Randy Boswell

Queen Elizabeth has received an early gift from Canada to mark next year’s 60th anniversary of her time on the throne: a diamond, gold and platinum brooch symbolizing her “special relationship” with a Manitoba-based military regiment.

The brooch, commissioned by the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery and designed by the Montreal jewelry firm Birks, features a maple leaf encrusted with 60 individual diamonds, a gold cannon and a stylized crown set with a sapphire, emeralds and rubies.

The Diamond Jubilee gift was personally presented to the Queen last week at Buckingham Palace by two senior members of the regiment, which is based at Canadian Forces Base Shilo, near Brandon, Man.
end

Why do they not adopt the UK way??
It's going to be another fiasco!!

volition said:
It's going to be another fiasco!!

Of course it will be. Does it matter though ? Some will get it, most won't. Its a meaningless medal so people who wear it and act like they are the best thing since sliced bread will be suitably "deflated" by the rest. The rest know it is meaningless and will just wear it and be quiet.

dogger1936 said:
I smell parades...lots and lots of parades...

Sargent-Major marching up and down the square........

Chicks won't know the difference.

I'm gonna try and get my name nominated for this!
Can I get those other medals retroactive?

Back