• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

Does anyone on here really care about receiving a gimme medal? It's more of a pain having to get it mounted and then the cost associated along with that.

X_para76 said:
Does anyone on here really care about receiving a gimme medal? It's more of a pain having to get it mounted and then the cost associated along with that.

I will only speak for myself, but I felt honoured to be selected by my unit to get the medal.  Having sat in my Company level selection board I know my unit did not treat it as a "gimme" medal but treated it as it was intended to be an honour and recognition for the job the soldier did.

I can see your point there. Even a few of the civilians who received it ie. Jan Devries widow were very deserving of the award. I just fealt it devalued the medal when they gave it to some members of the entertainment and media community.

X_para76 said:

Feel free to return it then. I'm sure whomever decided you rated one will gladly ensure it is awarded to someone else who was nominated but did not receive one.

X_para76 said:
I won't discuss your flippant remark as I believe DB has covered it succinctly enough and you realized you might not have looked at from certain perspectives.

I must ask what cost?  Court mounting is a reimbursable expense and in some cases a cost that hidden to CAF members in areas where clothing has a contract in place.  There is something to be said about staying in ones lane...  :nod:

dangerboy said:
I will only speak for myself, but I felt honoured to be selected by my unit to get the medal.  Having sat in my Company level selection board I know my unit did not treat it as a "gimme" medal but treated it as it was intended to be an honour and recognition for the job the soldier did.

Hit the nail on the head here. Who cares why someone else got the medal, as long as you know how/why you were selected?

X_para76 said:
I can see your point there. Even a few of the civilians who received it ie. Jan Devries widow were very deserving of the award. I just fealt it devalued the medal when they gave it to some members of the entertainment and media community.

Many of us feel the same.  There are those who are very deserving of such honours for their contributions.  At the same time, there are others that we feel cheapen the award, through our own biases and disagreement with the criteria set to award some questionable persons the awards.  When we look at the non-military side of the award, we often overlook the contributions that some have made to Canada and Canadian society.  And so we land up seeing the Justin Biebers getting such awards as being negative due to those biases.  We criticize those decisions and then criticize them even more when those personalities do something outrageous or disrespectful.

The award has been presented.  That is the end of it.  When you are at a function and looking at someone's awards, does it matter to you if they were in a Recce Platoon or a cook in a KAF?  Does it matter if the recipient got it as a ground pounder or as an airman or sailor?  They met the criteria and received the award, and that is it.  What we think really doesn't matter and we should keep it to ourselves............Then of course we have the opposite in another topic....The posers.  >:D

myself.only said:
While the optics aren't great (as if they ever are), personally I'm not too eager to jump on the PM's wife

It was difficult, but I managed to fight the urge to comment... ;D

myself.only said:
On the other hand, I personally can't get behind the idea that as a group, owing to their position and nothing else, all MPs, Senators and members of the PC automatically qualify for one.

I don't believe that all senators and MPs were actually given any for themselves.  What they got was an allocation to award to others.

The article also speaks with a somewhat negative undertone about a number of people like Wayne Gretzky and Henry Morgentaler also  getting them.  Folks should note that all living members of the Order of Canada (which both Gretzky and Morgentaler were at the time) received the Diamond Jubilee Medal automatically.  There was no selection process for them.  This is often the case with commemorative medals.  The same was true of the Silver and Golden Jubilee medals and the 125.

It is what it is, a commemorative that you are authorized on the left side.  If you get one be proud.  Someone has decided that, in their eyes, you done something of note.  It is unfortunate that the politicans decide who gets the majority of the medals but that does not cheapen my award.  I got a the Golden instead of the Command Commendation the year it came out for my work in Distribution Learning and I got Diamond (British) for my work on the International Baden Powell Scouting Association (actually, the whole committee got one Diamond to share which gives me an extra little cloth patch to wear on my IFIS-BSA uniform :dunno:).

Edited for a ruddy spell check - I passed!

Pusser said:
I don't believe that all senators and MPs were actually given any for themselves.  What they got was an allocation to award to others.

I was just going by the article posted by MCG that states they were "awarded" the medal. If that's not then case, then please disregard my last.

Pusser said:

Nope all sitting MPs received one (in addition to the 30 they were to award to deserving constituents). I had to gently advise my  MP he was wearing his incorrectly.

Technically, they were awarded... by the GG. Of course the recommendation came from the PMO. But that is splitting hairs.  ;D

Lightguns said:
It is what it is, a commemorative that you are authorized on the left side.  If you get one be proud.  Someone has decided that, in their eyes, you done something of note.  It is unfortunate that the politicans decide who gets the majority of the medals but that does not cheapen my award.  I got a the Golden instead of the Command Commendation the year it came out for my work in Distribution Learning and I got Diamond (British) for my work on the International Baden Powell Scouting Association (actually, the whole committee got one Diamond to share which gives me an extra little cloth patch to wear on my IFIS-BSA uniform :dunno:).

Edited for a ruddy spell check - I passed!
1. You say you received a British Diamond Jubilee medal for working on a scouting committee.  However,  in the United Kingdom and its overseas territories, medals were awarded only to members of HM Armed Forces (regular and reserves) who had served longer than five years, operational members of HM Prison Service, and emergency services personnel (including Police Community Support Officers) who have been in paid service, retained or in a voluntary capacity, and who had completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2012.  Do you fall into any of those categories?  :dunno:
2.  You say a group of people received one medal to share among you.  This is very unbelievable.  The Diamond Jubilee Medal (UK and Canada) was only awarded to individuals, like all such medals.    :eek:

Bagpiper42 said:
1. You say you received a British Diamond Jubilee medal for working on a scouting committee.  However,  in the United Kingdom and its overseas territories, medals were awarded only to members of HM Armed Forces (regular and reserves) who had served longer than five years, operational members of HM Prison Service, and emergency services personnel (including Police Community Support Officers) who have been in paid service, retained or in a voluntary capacity, and who had completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2012.  Do you fall into any of those categories?  :dunno:
2.  You say a group of people received one medal to share among you.  This is very unbelievable.  The Diamond Jubilee Medal (UK and Canada) was only awarded to individuals, like all such medals.    :eek:

Did you really decide to have your first post calling someone out on a Queen Diamond Jubilee Medal? I mean who cares. If someone really goes around Walting a QDJM, then let them have it. Its a QDJM.

HULK_011 said:
Did you really decide to have your first post calling someone out on a Queen Diamond Jubilee Medal?
......with an unnecessarily large font?  ::)

HULK_011 said:
Did you really decide to have your first post calling someone out on a Queen Diamond Jubilee Medal? I mean who cares. If someone really goes around Walting a QDJM, then let them have it. Its a QDJM.
No, I obviously didn't have to.  But I did.  I guess it makes sense to you that one UK QDJM was awarded to a group of people who are not in the UK military/police/etc to share among themselves.  However, it peeked my curiosity.  I suspect he believes he was actually awarded one, but it is more likely some kind of misunderstanding.  If he does want to claim he got one, then he should do it in a more beleivable fashion.  Maybe he should try claiming he is a member of the royal family or that his MPP gave him one.  The QDJM is already sad enough with Beiber getting one without people claiming they got one when they didn't.  That is all.

Bagpiper42 said:
No, I obviously didn't have to.  But I did.  I guess it makes sense to you that one UK QDJM was awarded to a group of people who are not in the UK military/police/etc to share among themselves.  However, it peeked my curiosity.  I suspect he believes he was actually awarded one, but it is more likely some kind of misunderstanding.  If he does want to claim he got one, then he should do it in a more beleivable fashion.  Maybe he should try claiming he is a member of the royal family or that his MPP gave him one.  The QDJM is already sad enough with Beiber getting one without people claiming they got one when they didn't.  That is all.

Why did you bring up minimum number of years for military service and awarding of the DJM then?  He clearly stated that he was awarded his due to scouting, not mil service.

ArmyVern said:
Why did you bring up minimum number of years for military service and awarding of the DJM then?  He clearly stated that he was awarded his due to scouting, not mil service.
Sorry, I thought that was obvious.  The UK QDJM was only given to military/police/corrective service personnel with five years of service.  He claims to have been awarded a UK QDJM for being on a scouting committee.  Well, apart from the ones awarded to the royal family, no civilians were awarded a UK QDJM.  So unless he is part of the royal family or in the UK military, he most certainly was not awarded a UK QDJM.  If was actually awarded one, it was not because of being on a scouting committee.  I thought maybe he was in the military in the UK and was confused as to why he got one.  Anyway, it seems on this forum that using the wrong font size is worse than claiming a medal you didn't actually receive.  My bad.

Back