• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

ArmyVern said:
Well, the little cloth badge he posted of certainly exists.

Gee, imagine  that! Wonder if someone will be eating crow, instead of turkey this Thanksgiving ;)

I suppose fact checking isn't the forte of some new posters though.

However, I appreciate the MP demotion for trying to point it out. Kinda makes it worth it. ;D

recceguy said:
Gee, imagine  that! Wonder if someone will be eating crow, instead of turkey this Thanksgiving ;)

I suppose fact checking isn't the forte of some new posters though.

However, I appreciate the MP demotion for trying to point it out. Kinda makes it worth it. ;D
I stand corrected.  Clearly this patch proves that the UK government was handing out Diamond Jubilee Medals to groups of people to share who were not in the military/police/correctional service.  Wait.....no it doesn't.  I gave you the -25 points for calling me an a-hole.  You didn't point anything out regarding the veracity of the claim of Lightguns that he was part of a group of civilians that received a UK QDJM. Feel free to fact check how the UK QDJM was handed out.  Also, if you can fact check whether or not the UK was in fact handed out to groups of civilians to share, that would be great.  I already did and they weren't. I don't think I claimed the "little cloth patch" didn't exist.  However, this patch you found appears to be a patch that every scout wears until the end of 2012, like the 1812 pin on the CF uniform.  I suspect the "little cloth patch" he was referring to is an undress ribbon that he will mount alongside his Golden Jubilee undress ribbon.

Bagpiper42 said:
I stand corrected.  Clearly this patch proves that the UK government was handing out Diamond Jubilee Medals to groups of people to share who were not in the military/police/correctional service.  Wait.....no it doesn't.  I gave you the -25 points for calling me an a-hole.  You didn't point anything out regarding the veracity of the claim of Lightguns that he was part of a group of civilians that received a UK QDJM. Feel free to fact check how the UK QDJM was handed out.  Also, if you can fact check whether or not the UK was in fact handed out to groups of civilians to share, that would be great.  I already did and they weren't. I don't think I claimed the "little cloth patch" didn't exist.  However, this patch you found appears to be a patch that every scout wears until the end of 2012, like the 1812 pin on the CF uniform.  I suspect the "little cloth patch" he was referring to is an undress ribbon that he will mount alongside his Golden Jubilee undress ribbon.

Do you have a problem with posting on internet forums, that you have to change the fonts?  It is very annoying.  Could you please mail out magnifying glasses to the rest of us so we can read your posts?

Did I miss a trolling?  Yes indeed the cloth patch is the item issued to the committee. Thank you all for your wonderful common sense defense of the obvious.  Very good of you to come to my aid.

B3. I have 32 years time, I know the difference between an undress ribbon and a scouting award. If ever I wear my scouting awards in the future they will be on the left in civilian clothes and as authorized in scout uniform. You, sir, are very angry man and I desire no further interaction with you.

Font size fixed.

Lightguns, don't let a troll get to you.

B3, don't start playing screen name games or keep frigging around with font. Enough.

ArmyVern said:
Why did you bring up minimum number of years for military service and awarding of the DJM then?  He clearly stated that he was awarded his due to scouting, not mil service.

Sat here pondering the exchange between B3 and Lighthorse.  Yes, Lighthorse eluded that he was selected by committee on which he was a member to receive their one allocated QDJM medal for scouting services.  Upfront, I think the whole story is Hogwash - Clear enough

Firstly, the statements made by Lighthorse cannot be looked at in the Canadian context where the award this side of the pond was more inclusive.  B3 clearly laid out the UK criteria.  No such medals were awarded to anyone other than those in the list he provided.  The UK criterion bares no resemblance to the Canadian iteration.

The comments from Lightguns once more as posted  "I got a the Golden instead of the Command Commendation the year it came out for my work in Distribution Learning and I got Diamond (British) for my work on the International Baden Powell Scouting Association (actually, the whole committee got one Diamond to share which gives me an extra little cloth patch to wear on my IFIS-BSA uniform :dunno:)

A search of "The Scouts Association (UK)" website (the organization most of us think about when we thing of the scouting movement) makes no mention of any QDJM award to any member whatsoever.  But "Lighthorse” never said he was affiliated with the UK Scouts association with but the lesser known "International Baden Powell Scouting Association".  It appears then, that he is likely affiliated with the  Baden-Powell Scouts' Association of Canada (a splinter scouting group not Scouts Canada) even though Mr GOOGLE makes no mention of this likely esteemed international youth association.  Anyway, a bit more background on the folks I think Lighthorse is associated with (and associated! Links):

"The World Federation of Independent Scouts are represented in Canada by the BPSA in Canada, which was established in Victoria, British Columbia in February 1996 as the Baden-Powell Scouts' Association of Canada (B-PSAC), rejecting the perceived modernization of the Scout method by Scouts Canada and sharing its aims with the other branches of the B-PSA.[1]".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-PSA_Federation_of_Canada
http://www.bpsa-canada.org/
http://www.traditionalscouting.co.uk/
http://www.wfis-worldwide.org/wordpress/?page_id=32

A review of the Baden-Powell Scouts' Association UK website also yields nothing related to awards of the QDJM (http://www.traditionalscouting.co.uk/).  In fact as far as I can see you can't search this and related websites at all.

I am also bothered by the titles and acronyms Lighthorse uses in his post.  On the surface they seem to differ from the way the various groups name themselves.

So everyone was quick to pile on B3 (including the font and spelling police)...but he made a point.  Forget that no such UK QDJM medals were supposed to have been awarded beyond the scope outlined by B3, I therefore find it extremely hard to believe that an "International" scouting splinter group would be awarded a medal to “share” (more on this sharing bit in a moment) when the actual scouting association in the UK, with a member of the Royal Family as President were not entitled to any.

So, again, I can see where B3 is coming from.  Medals are not awarded to share in this manner.  I find if hard that the IBPSA (just made that acronym up - certainly nothing of these folks readily available to digest/disect on the WWW) would get a QDJM to share/dispose as they saw fit - when no other UK like organisation apparently did.  Medals are issued to in the name of The Queen to a named individual not small groups.

I started out as a young lad in Cubs, went onto Scouts and left to join the Army Cadets - I have no anti-scouting vendetta here.  but I do not believe that there was any “legal” award to Lighthorse, and furthermore, he thought his post would be believed at face value and not factually challenged this side of the pond.

The Gent in the article below, is quite agrieved he never received one - he could snag one on Ebay or somewhere though...but my bet is he would never do so:

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sailor-angry-won-t-receive-Diamond-Jubilee-medal/story-15542425-detail/story.html

Lighthorse - over to you...feel free to interact.  I am just not a Belieber, sorry believer.

First, it is "Lightguns".  But I forgive you because in my advanced years I transpose as well; IFIS should be WFIS.

Second, I received from my committee QM, a letter signed by the commissioner denoting that the committee had been awarded the Diamond Jubilee and that all members are now entitled to wear a cloth patch about 2 inches in diameter with a royal device on it.  It was sent to me without charge and without my solicitation and I sewed it on as directed by the commissioner for the once or twice a year I go to Ontario actually get to wear my scouting uniform and my lemon squeezer.

Finally, let me apologize for mentioning this award in a humorous and off handed way, it seems to have made a number of individuals extremely upset.

Mod:  As this is a thread about about the QDJM, I will not post anymore about my issue.  If you gentlemen have more personal attacks to launch, please direct them to me via PM and let the thread discussion move along.

Edited to move the personal attack to PM.

Apologies on the name...a sign of my advancing years also by the look of it....

But I do not buy the award to a "committee"...never heard the like of it....especially the medal in question. 

Feel free to post a copy of the paperwork actually presenting the medal to the committee.

You can call it a personal attack if you like....at this time I call it bullshiit....

As for your patch....not the slightest bit interested in that aspect.

And now the costs are in …
Diamond Jubilee program costs $8.1M, nearly $660K over budget: documents
Amy Minsky and Mike Le Couteur
Global News
04 March 2014

OTTAWA — The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee medal program, meant to recognize Canadians for their contributions to the country, cost taxpayers $8.1 million —more than half a million over budget, newly-released documents obtained by Global News show.

“Although well-meaning by the governor general, I think it’s a bit much,” said Peter Emon, mayor of Greater Madawaska, Ont., in line to receive two jubilee medals just for being an elected official. “I think there are some worthy volunteers that should have received these, but their medals have a little bit of an aspersion or a negative tint to them.”

Emon returned his, saying it held little meaning since so many were handed out. He didn’t feel the need to be counted among pop star Justin Bieber, Toronto Mayor Rob Ford and Conservative party organizer Jenni Byrne.

The program was administered over three years; the awards were handed out last year.

Documents and photocopies of original invoices obtained by Global News through access-to-information legislation show a big chunk of the budget — nearly $3.1 million — was spent producing the 60,000 medals and shipping them out.

Other costs include salaries and overtime for the four employees tasked with administering the Diamond Jubilee program, which came to nearly half a million dollars; a marketing campaign came with a $48,000 price tag; letterhead and envelopes cost nearly $13,000.

Another $85,000 of the Diamond Jubilee’s program went to producing a National Film Board DVD box set celebrating the Queen, with more than 20,000 copies shipped to schools and libraries across the country.

The costs had the Opposition wondering whether the government is really being vigilant with how it spends taxpayer dollars.

It’s concerning that the program went over budget, said NDP treasury board critic Mathieu Ravignat, adding, however, it can prove an excellent way to pay respect to volunteers in communities across the country.

“We have to be concerned about the fiscal management of this government and this program,” he said. “They certainly should have done it at cost, certainly should have done it with what was expected, and unfortunately the government couldn’t deliver this fiscally responsibly.”

Like MPs, the Canadian Taxpayers Federation also took the opportunity to nominate a handful of people to receive medals. But the program was just too big, said Gregory Thomas, federal director of the fiscally conservative advocacy group.

“Had we given out fewer, we would have paid fewer salaries, you would have had lower shipping costs and not as many medals,” he said in an interview with Global News.

A request went to Heritage Canada late last week, asking why the program went over budget. Late Tuesday, the director of communications for Heritage Minister Shelly Glover disputed the numbers, saying the access to information department misinterpreted some costs, and the Diamond Jubilee program was actually delivered under budget.

“The ATI process works independently of the program itself, and the people responding to the request simply made an error in interpreting the database of grants and contributions,” Mike Storeshaw wrote in an email, adding the government stands by every penny spent on the program.

“From veterans to young people to community leaders of all kinds, the medals recognized tens of thousands of ordinary Canadians who do extraordinary things,” he wrote. “We are proud of our investment to support this most historic and significant anniversary.”
http://globalnews.ca/news/1187480/diamond-jubilee-program-costs-8-1m-nearly-660k-over-budget/

I wonder how much of that 660k was for the medals given out to political friends of ministers

I can remember the griping that went on over this one  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth_II_Golden_Jubilee_Medal

"The Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal was awarded to active personnel in the British Armed Forces who had completed 5 years of qualifying service."

However, Canada decided to limit the distribution and I believe the criteria used was based on "Time in Rank/Top Down" with the greatest proportion being allocated to Jr Ranks.  So as not to "minimize" the importance of the award.      :facepalm:

DAA said:
I can remember the griping that went on over this one  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth_II_Golden_Jubilee_Medal

"The Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal was awarded to active personnel in the British Armed Forces who had completed 5 years of qualifying service."

However, Canada decided to limit the distribution and I believe the criteria used was based on "Time in Rank/Top Down" with the greatest proportion being allocated to Jr Ranks.  So as not to "minimize" the importance of the award.      :facepalm:

No, we treated it like a 'OMM-lite' unfortunately...

The QDJM (Canadian version) was issued similar to past commemorative medals such as the Queen's Coronation Medal, Canada Centennial Medal, Queen's Silver Jubilee Medal, Canada 125 Medal, and Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal.

It was the Brit's that broke tradition and handed the QGJM and QDJM to those military and fire/police/ambulance/etc members that had served 5 years.

Commemorative medals were never meant to be issued in such large numbers. However, unfortunately with limited distribution you cant' please everyone and the entire process turns into an ego measuring event.

Oh, and just think that we will be going though this all over again in 2017 with the Canada 150 Medal and perhaps a King's Coronation Medal or even a Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal.

I sure wish this had been a simple time served award or even just randomly issued amongst the ranks. I had to write a dozen letters of merit nominating people to receive the DJM.

eliminator said:
Oh, and just think that we will be going though this all over again in 2017 with the Canada 150 Medal and perhaps a King's Coronation Medal or even a Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal.

Wait for the 1914 pin you'll have to wear in all orders of dress. You'll need at least six per person.

1914 Pin? Mom, Uncle Jim is scaring me with bad stories again!

Is this serious? Oh dear. My sash could be used like a badge and pin collector for everything neato we get recognised for. Maybe I should not speak out loud because their are good idea fairies lurking everywhere.

ArmyRick said:
.....My sash could be used like a badge and pin collector for everything neato we get recognised for.

Good training for that post army career as a Walmart greeter and/or RCL member.

walmart+pins.jpg

$T2eC16RHJF0FFZgGZIcKBSGqjcko1w~~60_35.JPG

Back