• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posting Policy-Restricted (IR) & Prohibited moves [MERGED]

Well, well, well......

While looking at the DCBA website (for something else entirely), I found their Aide Memoire PowerPoint presentation (for the clerks) and it states that only a one bedroom is authorized (good luck finding one in Ottawa) but that it is up to the IR Section to confirm that the rental is a one bedroom.

first hit - less than a minute came up with a few locations for 1 bedrooms - Juliana Apts Albert-Bronson location for $1435 and up. Promenade-York in the Byward Market has unfurnished for $1250 and up. McEwen Towers even has them for the low price of $795!! My search came up with 110 records of 1 bedroom apartments with rentals up to $1600. I am sure that some of them are false leads in that the apartments are already taken.

I think it is more a matter of good luck finding one that you would want to live in - most are low rent for a reason.

PMedMoe said:
Well, well, well......

While looking at the DCBA website (for something else entirely), I found their Aide Memoire PowerPoint presentation (for the clerks) and it states that only a one bedroom is authorized (good luck finding one in Ottawa) but that it is up to the IR Section to confirm that the rental is a one bedroom.

LOL. The bulk of IR guys here (and in Gagetown) are renting entire HOUSES for under the limit ... and having it paid for. That's what's available for rent locally; that's what they rent.

CountDC said:
first hit - less than a minute came up with a few locations for 1 bedrooms - Juliana Apts Albert-Bronson location for $1435 and up. Promenade-York in the Byward Market has unfurnished for $1250 and up. McEwen Towers even has them for the low price of $795!! My search came up with 110 records of 1 bedroom apartments with rentals up to $1600. I am sure that some of them are false leads in that the apartments are already taken.

I think it is more a matter of good luck finding one that you would want to live in - most are low rent for a reason.
Furnished?  Month to month lease?  Close to where I (and others) work?  Like I said earlier in this thread, not everyone works downtown.

Vern, I've seen condos and townhouses advertised as IR rentals in Petawawa.  Imagine, a yard, a garage.....oh, the luxury. ::)

PMedMoe said:
Vern, I've seen condos and townhouses advertised as IR rentals in Petawawa.  Imagine, a yard, a garage.....oh, the luxury. ::)

Ahhh yes, I had a fully furnished 2 bedroom apartment with all inclusive during my IR posting in Charlottetown ... waterfront, right across the street from Timmies!! I was in like Errol ...

Edited to add: And that DCBA Aide Memoire stated the same thing about "1 bedroom" back then too; funny thing is though ... with monthly leases, looking for furnished ... beggars don't always get to be choosers even if they happen to be in the CF - you take what you can get; someone in Ottawa needs to figure that out quick.

PMedMoe said:
Furnished?  Month to month lease?  Close to where I (and others) work?  Like I said earlier in this thread, not everyone works downtown.

Various locations scattered throughout the Ottawa area, both furnished and unfurnished which is good because at the rates of some you have room in the claimable amount to rent furniture.  Terms are varied too.  Close is a relative term - I consider the PMQs at uplands close to downtown, takes me 30-40 minutes to bike to work going Riverside, Hogs Back and along Canal using the bike trails.  Bus takes about 30 minutes, car takes me about 20 to 30.  Proximity to work is not really a factor in the policy, it is a personal preferance. The real problem is finding a place in a location that you would want to live - they are cheap for a reason.  I looked in the same areas for family housing when I moved here and ended up taking a PMQ instead.  The swastikas and colourful words painted on the walls in one place turned me off that location.  At another the rental agent CFHA had hired for me wouldn't roam from his car so I figured that was out (although that may have just been his laziness), another had a dead rat in the kitchen.

I would not recommend most of these places, just pointing out that it is possible to find a one bedroom if the regulation was enforced and you really want it.  The reason it isn't is because there isn't enough quality units out there - no one wants to tell people they have to live in roach hotels.

I recommend something off Elgin street, lots of one bedroom apts around $800/mo. Very short walk to the transitway and busses to anywhere in the city. Being able to walk to the market, shopping, restaurants etc on a whim is fantastic.

COBRA-6 said:
I recommend something off Elgin street, lots of one bedroom apts around $800/mo. Very short walk to the transitway and busses to anywhere in the city. Being able to walk to the bars on a whim is fantastic.

Fixed it for you...

Well, I don't have to worry about it anymore.  ;D

I also found rental furniture hard to find as it cannot be rent-to-own.  I did find a few places that rent only (for staging, etc), but at a cost that would limit your rent amount.

If anyone is interested, I have a fully furnished condo available at Hunt Club / Hawthorne. Former tenant was also someone on IR.

I can be reached @ pcarriere11@yahoo.ca or 613-867-5453

Thanks

Paul

Here in Halifax a letter was sent to all those occupying unit's with more than 1 bedroom advising them they had until 30 April to vacate as they were not in compliance with DCBA guidelines.  Made for some interesting times.

Valley Denizen said:
Here in Halifax a letter was sent to all those occupying unit's with more than 1 bedroom advising them they had until 30 April to vacate as they were not in compliance with DCBA guidelines.  Made for some interesting times.

Really?  Are they moving on their own dime?  Will they be provided first and last months rent again?  Are they being given time to look for a new place and to move?  Were they briefed as to only being allowed a one bedroom?  Did the IR section ensure they only had one bedroom?

I only ask, as I'm sure these are questions that will come up.  Never having been on IR (outside of living in barracks), I was not aware of what was acceptable, in terms of rentals.  I did request a list of accommodations from Ottawa, but never received one.  I moved into a building in which other people on IR were living (and still live).  I was never given a brief that stated I was only allowed one bedroom.  No one ever questioned it until now.  So because someone else dropped the ball, the members on IR are going to penalized?

I'm glad I'm posted this year otherwise, I'd be getting my ducks in a row.

Slainte11 said:
If anyone is interested, I have a fully furnished condo available at Hunt Club / Hawthorne. Former tenant was also someone on IR.

Judging from the comment posted by Valley Denizen, if it has more than one bedroom, you won't be able to rent it to someone on IR.

PMedMoe said:
Really?  Are they moving on their own dime?  Will they be provided first and last months rent again?  Are they being given time to look for a new place and to move?  Were they briefed as to only being allowed a one bedroom?  Did the IR section ensure they only had one bedroom?

I only ask, as I'm sure these are questions that will come up.  Never having been on IR (outside of living in barracks), I was not aware of what was acceptable, in terms of rentals.  I did request a list of accommodations from Ottawa, but never received one.  I moved into a building in which other people on IR were living (and still live).  I was never given a brief that stated I was only allowed one bedroom.  No one ever questioned it until now.  So because someone else dropped the ball, the members on IR are going to penalized?

bet they throw it back on the member - "it is the members responsibility to be aware of the rules and policies, to ask questions of the subject matter expert when not sure and ensure they are within said rules and policies." 

I do know in the first half of 2006 members in Halifax were informed of the DCBA policy but don't think anyone even checked the lease to see if it was a 1 bedroom.  As I recall the only concern was that it had members name on it and the monthly amount.

CountDC said:
bet they throw it back on the member

I have absolutely no doubt that they will.  Pretty hard to get information from a section that doesn't answer phones or emails, from a intranet system that has rules and regs all over the place, an Aide Memoire (or copied brief from the above section) that is outs of date, etc, etc.

I live in Ottawa and the area i live in has a TON of CF members who walk down to the local bus station and hop on for a 20 minute ride to and from DND down town. (if you're single) Try the Lincolnfields area. 1000sqft apartments for about $1250 and it's by 2 malls 4 grocery stores and the big bus station.

Most CF people I've met (with family and whatnot) live in Kanata. Big houses for lots of bucks but a ton of express routes right to DND's front door. Take you about 35 mins to and from on a good day.

My sister rents a big house in Kanata for $2000/month.

Doesn't get much better than Kanata, Hunt Club, and Orleans though... if you have a family.

2K is 2 thirds of my monthly pay so I guess I will stick with my $920 PMQ instead of moving to Kanata  ;D

CountDC said:
My sister rents a big house in Kanata for $2000/month.
2K is 2 thirds of my monthly pay so I guess I will stick with my $920 PMQ instead of moving to Kanata  ;D 
Oh, go on, you haven't even seen pics yet

...of the house! Pics of the house!  ;)

Back