• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posting Policy-Restricted (IR) & Prohibited moves [MERGED]

This has probably come up before, but I can't seem to find any info on it.

I'm posted to Kingston APS 2009 and I will be heading there on IR.

Any ideas of what the exact entitlements are?

And does anyone know of any decent places to rent?  I'm probably looking for a motel or something.  I will probably be deploying at some point so I don't want to lock into a year long lease unless the military pays out extra to break the lease.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You are entitled to the cost of rent and utilities, not sure of the exact amount for Kingston, you,re clerks will have a list. Your heat, hydro, basic cable, internet and phone will all be covered under your entitlements. If you so wish you can also claim your cellphone, if you are not getting a landline phone, up to about $33-$35 a month. You also get separation allowance and an allowance for meals, but again check with your clerks they can give the most up to date info.

I had to come to Kingston briefly on IR last summer, now my family is hear, and would not recommend a month to month rent. There are two or three hotels that offer weekly rates, about $450, which exceeds your monthly entitlement for living expenses. The few month to month rent accommodations that are available are in fairly rough shape and not in the best neighbourhoods. From experience I would recommend a year lease as you will find much better accommodations as well as the possibility of bundling your utilities in with your rent which makes the claim process easier. Hope some of that helps.

Comp PE said:
Your basic cable, internet and phone will all be covered under your entitlements. If you so wish you can also claim your cellphone, if you are not getting a landline phone, up to about $33-$35 a month.

If your phone, cable and internet is NOT covered in your monthly rent, you CANNOT claim it, it is to be paid out of your separation allowance.  You CAN claim a one-time hook-up fee.  This just changed not too long ago (earlier this year).  I know because I had an ongoing "discussion" via email with my IR clerk.   ;D

Edit to add:  Ensure your career manager is aware that you intend to go IR as it must be requested and noted on your posting message.

Here is the DCBA Aide Memoire.  TR/IR entitlements start on page 26.

Members on TR shall receive a one-time reimbursement for one basic phone (cellular or land line), basic TV cable, and basic dial up or cable Internet hook ups as applicable. The monthly recurring charges for these services shall be the responsibility of the member as it is being compensated at sub paragraphs 4.1b, 4.2c, 4.3c, and 4.4c above.

The links in the Aide only work from a DWAN computer.

First time poster here.

I'm also planning on going IR to Kingston this summer. I hear the SQ are all full though. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

Thanks.

In 2008 there was a memo issued from Kingston stating that personnel posted to Kingston on IR will no longer be allowed to stay in Single Quarters.

I know there is at least one PMQ opening up this summer ......

DIN search for Kingston Imposed Restriction brings up this page (DIN only):

http://kingston.mil.ca/g1/mpss/posted_in/rental_links.asp

Thank you to all for the replies! Unfortunately the link was a dead one but in CFB Kingston BSO 19.00, it states: IMPOSED RESTRICTED PERSONNEL
13. Members on IR,  that are posted to CFB/ASU Kingston are required to secure non-public accommodation and seek reimbursement. 

Hopefully this will help others seeking the same info.

I am well aware of the rules when a service member decides to move to the new location alone.  What I want to know is this, what happens when one member of a service couple decides to take the F&E to the new location while leaving the other member at the old location.  Would the member who is left behind be entitled to IR benefits?

I have read through the orders and I can't seem to find anything written about the subject anywhere.

I believe it's called a "reverse IR". One of my friends is currently in this situation. However you would be best served by contacting your respective career shops to get the true low-down.

Yeah I found the ref which indicates the entitlement.  I am just running into some issues with a certain organization down in CFB Esquimalt.

Just wondering where they put people up when ones goes on IR in Ottawa, how decent is the place and what other options are available to a person before taking the plunge to move family down lock stock and barrel?

Cheers

You rent your own place.  Current entitlement right now is $1600 for rent and $100 for parking (if required).  You can rent furnished (which is best) or rent the furniture but it cannot be a rent-to-own agreement.  Furniture rental and apartment rental combined cannot exceed the entitlement.

As far as other options, either you go IR or you move your family.  That's all the options.

PMedMoe said:
You rent your own place.  Current entitlement right now is $1600 for rent and $100 for parking (if required).  You can rent furnished (which is best) or rent the furniture but it cannot be a rent-to-own agreement.  Furniture rental and apartment rental combined cannot exceed the entitlement.

As far as other options, either you go IR or you move your family.  That's all the options.

Thanks PMM. So what is this hotel I keep hearing about that is available to people on IR? Also if I was working at the startop building or somewhere like Leitrim, where would be a good family neighbourhood to buy a house in that is close to parks, shops, trails, good schools, transport and easy access to downtown?

My budget is between 300-380k for a detached house with backyard. I don't want Orleans, russell or greely

thx

Probably the Executive Suites hotel.  You can book for long term stays.

Do your own real estate research, I am on IR so I have no idea what the neighborhoods are like and I pretty much drive everywhere or take a taxi.

MLS

PMedMoe said:
Probably the Executive Suites hotel.  You can book for long term stays.

Do your own real estate research, I am on IR so I have no idea what the neighborhoods are like and I pretty much drive everywhere or take a taxi.

MLS

Thanks Moe. So you have first hand knowledge how the IR works in Ottawa then eh? Do you mind pointing me in the direction of where to rent for that amount of entitlement? What part of town are you living in and how long have you been on IR?

thx

Do a Google search for furnished apartments.  I live near South Keys and I'm in my second year of IR.

opcougar ,
If you are looking for help finding a house in Ottawa, you may want to try the Royal Lepage Relocation Services.
Source: CFSU(Ottawa) What's New Page: http://www.cfsuo.forces.gc.ca/wn-qdn-eng.asp#w20080326

The instructions given are as follows:

Royal Lepage Relocation Services - Register on line
Did you know that you can start the relocation process with Royal Lepage Relocation Services as soon as you receive your posting message?
4 EASY STEPS TO REGISTER ON LINE!
Go to: https://www.relodialogue.com/employee/
transferee/IRP/registerEN.aspx
Complete the identification page and submit.
When you are done, you will receive an email indicating the documents you need to provide (by fax or in person).
24 to 48 hrs after reception of your documents, we will give you the name of your consultant and book your first consultation.

Hope that helps.
all the best to you and your family in the move ahead.

Contact the Orderly Room at CFSU(O) (613-996-1044 or mailto:+CFSU Ottawa Reception@CFSUO Admin Svcs@Ottawa-Hull).  They have a list of local apartment buildings that rent at the appropriate rates.  You may have to ask for the IR Desk.  When I was on IR, I stayed at the Embassy Tower at Rideau and Chapel Sts.  However, that's right downtown, so not very convenient to Leitrim or Startop.  Sussex House is also downtown and is a popular IR place.

There are PMQs in Ottawa at the Uplands site, which is quite convenient to Leitrim and not to bad for getting to Startop.  I don't know about parking at Startop.  The South Ottawa (Hunt Club, south Keys, etc) area is a good place to buy and there are several new developments going up as we speak.  The advantage of this area is that it is well served by public transit and convenient to just about everything.  The bus ride downtown is only about 30 minutes.  Everytime I drive to Orleans (which is infrequent) I thank my lucky stars I didn't buy there.  The traffic is horrendous and the buses are always packed at rush hour.  I almost always get a seat on my bus to South Ottawa.

Back