• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posting Policy-Restricted (IR) & Prohibited moves [MERGED]

CountDC said:
bet they throw it back on the member - "it is the members responsibility to be aware of the rules and policies, to ask questions of the subject matter expert when not sure and ensure they are within said rules and policies." 

I do know in the first half of 2006 members in Halifax were informed of the DCBA policy but don't think anyone even checked the lease to see if it was a 1 bedroom.  As I recall the only concern was that it had members name on it and the monthly amount.

These "rules" and/or their "strict enforcement" are f'n quaint aren't they?

Shit like this happens when people do not use common sense. Hello Ottawa (and apparently hello Halifax too).

I can tell you this much, during my IR in Charlottetown PEI, the only 1 bedroom apartments for rent were unfurnished. And, they were for terms of year-long leasing. (year-long <--- which itself is NOT a lease term recommended by the IR overseers and their DCBA Aide memoire) with all those Holland College & UPEI students in mind. There was NO place in the entire province to "rent furniture" to furnish it with, there only being the Rent-to-own places (which is itself prohibited by those overseers of IR and their DCBA Aide Memoire).

So, I could get a two-bedroom, fully furnished apartment for UNDER the monthly entitlement limit ... but not a one bedroom and certainly not a one bedroom furnished apartment. I was located away from the uni district.

I'd have loved to be the one they (or Ottawa) told "move out" of the two bedroom because you aren't "entitled to it".

Yo dudes, word up: It SAVED the taxpayers money monthly by me being in a furnished 2 bedroom vice an unfurnished 1 bedroom ... and if you had expected to me to sleep on a floor in a one bedroom because "that" was "all" that I was entitled to because I refused to purchase furniture when there was no place to rent it and the CF put me there IR in the first place ... I'll guarantee my redress of grieveance would have made it's eventual way to the Omsbudsman.

If people are under their monthly entitlement limit be it a one bedroom or two bedroom --- there is ZERO problem to fix. But, situation normal for some "enforcer" to render invalid common sense application according to "availability" in locale.

Some f'n asshat on IR probably claimed his 2 bedroom apartment and got nailed sub-letting the second bedroom out to some non-CF type while claiming his full IR rental cost each month ... causing those who refuse to punish pers who abuse the system to fuck around the rest of us who don't. Now that IS normal for the CF. <--- You know, I'm willing to bet a pole dance on that; and, Recceguy, I'd even move my cereal bowl out of the way of the webcam.

ArmyVern said:
You know, I'm willing to bet a pole dance on that; and, Recceguy, I'd even move my cereal bowl out of the way of the webcam.

Is the pole in a second bedroom?

If not, was it part of the furniture provided as part of the lease, or are you renting it?

dapaterson said:
Is the pole in a second bedroom?

If not, was it part of the furniture provided as part of the lease, or are you renting it?

Please take into account local "noise abatement bylaws" in respect to the loud music that generally accompanies said "poles" (or so I heard...I wouldn't know personally), and, additionally, if this was to generate a part time income was it cleared with your CO?  ;D (duck)

PMedMoe said:
Really?  Are they moving on their own dime?  Will they be provided first and last months rent again?  Are they being given time to look for a new place and to move?  Were they briefed as to only being allowed a one bedroom?  Did the IR section ensure they only had one bedroom?

I only ask, as I'm sure these are questions that will come up.  Never having been on IR (outside of living in barracks), I was not aware of what was acceptable, in terms of rentals.  I did request a list of accommodations from Ottawa, but never received one.  I moved into a building in which other people on IR were living (and still live).  I was never given a brief that stated I was only allowed one bedroom.  No one ever questioned it until now.  So because someone else dropped the ball, the members on IR are going to penalized?

I'm glad I'm posted this year otherwise, I'd be getting my ducks in a row.

Judging from the comment posted by Valley Denizen, if it has more than one bedroom, you won't be able to rent it to someone on IR.

My last tenant was on IR and I've cleared my rental accommodation with a relocation coordinator here in Ottawa to ensure that the lease for my condo is compliant with DCBA regulations.

Slainte11 said:
My last tenant was on IR and I've cleared my rental accommodation with a relocation coordinator here in Ottawa to ensure that the lease for my condo is compliant with DCBA regulations.

Wait for it.  What does a relocation coordinator know about the CF regulations??  If people in Halifax have received notice to move, and Ottawa is doing a witch two-bedroom hunt, you can bet that a message advising IR pers to move is on the way.

Vern, well said.

PMedMoe said:
Wait for it.  What does a relocation coordinator know about the CF regulations??  If people in Halifax have received notice to move, and Ottawa is doing a witch two-bedroom hunt, you can bet that a message advising IR pers to move is on the way.

Vern, well said.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/rel-rei/cfi-crf/cfrcc-crfcmr-eng.asp

Message was already sent to my tenant... that's why I spoke with the appropriate personnel to ensure my rental unit was compliant. So it's available if anyone is interested.

Well Slainte ... I'm waiting for an actual posting message still ... could be one of three places ... CFRG HQ, 38 Bgde HQ or that other place that ends with HQ ...

Does your condo come equipped with a pole?? Just curious.  8)

Slainte11 said:
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/rel-rei/cfi-crf/cfrcc-crfcmr-eng.asp

Message was already sent to my tenant... that's why I spoke with the appropriate personnel to ensure my rental unit was compliant. So it's available if anyone is interested.

Well, good luck, then.  Maybe the IR/DCBA stupidity hasn't hit Ottawa yet.

PMedMoe said:
Well, good luck, then.  Maybe the stupidity hasn't hit Ottawa yet.

You may want to qualify that.  There's stupidity in spades around Ottawa, as I'm sure you're well aware.  ;D

PMedMoe said:
Well, good luck, then.  Maybe the stupidity hasn't hit Ottawa yet.

Maybe it has hit (his former tenant did receive the notification after all) and ergo his clarification ...

Maybe, just maybe, his advertized condo is a 1 bedroom.  ;)

Occam said:
You may want to qualify that.  There's stupidity in spades around Ottawa, as I'm sure you're well aware.  ;D

Done.  ;)  I even thought about that after I posted.  I cannot wait to get out of here!!  :nod:

ArmyVern said:
Maybe, just maybe, his advertized condo is a 1 bedroom.  ;)

Perhaps it is.  Wouldn't it have just been easier to say so?

PMedMoe said:
Done.  ;)  I even thought about that after I posted.  I cannot wait to get out of here!!  :nod:

Perhaps it is.  Wouldn't it have just been easier to say so?

Perhaps it would have been easier --- I did read his post about it's availability, but it doesn't state the number of bedrooms ...

But, if it is a 1 bedroom ...

All those backhoe drivers can be rest assured that there is still PLENTY of "work" for them in Ottawa.

PMedMoe said:

The line forms behind me.  ;)

CountDC said:
Various locations scattered throughout the Ottawa area, both furnished and unfurnished which is good because at the rates of some you have room in the claimable amount to rent furniture...The reason it isn't is because there isn't enough quality units out there - no one wants to tell people they have to live in roach hotels.

Since this thread is entitled Moving to Ottawa on IR, I will add my 2 cents.  I have lived in the Extended Stay Hotel in downtown which is perfect for me attending U of Ottawa since Sep 09 and many others who work at  NDHQ.  Some of my IR inmates have been in the hotel for as long as 8 years.  It is conveniently located behind City Hall.  Laundry facilities, sauna, whirlpool, mini-gym in basement. Sofa bed and tv in living room and King-size bed with flat-screen on wall of bedroom.  Highly-recommend it.

8 years!!  :eek:  I think I would have been crazy by then......of course, I have a good head start.

I have nothing against living downtown, I just would have been broke if I had.

Halifax did not provide any guidance WRT bedrooms when I asked prior to my posting..........they just provided the max amt allowable for furniture and accom, which is 1450$ in these parts.  I stated that I had a one bedroom when asked in Nov by the OR staff, and my landlord replied the same when they were asked by the OR staff around the same time.  The letter stated that according to my civic address,  you are in a 2 or more bedroom unit so somehow they believed I and my landlord were fibbing.

The references provided in the letter were the DCBA Aide Memoire and the CF Living Accommodation Instruction which is the source document to the AM.  As noted in this forum earlier, the CMP instruction provides for a 1 or 2 bedroom standard.

The letter did not provide any information about how I was to move or who would pay the costs.

Livin`the dream in Halifax

?? does this happen to be a legal apartment you are living in??  Just that it seems strange that the address is registerd as 2 or more.  Only time I have seen that was with a non-legal basement apartment (which most are non-legal).

I'm not too sure where the base got their information from as it is clearly a one bedroom condo.  My landlord was as baffled as I on this one and as he pointed out,  if it was a 2 bedroom he would certainly receive more rent.  I sent in photo's and the listing sheet to prove that it was a one bedroom. 

In any case I am OK in this regard but I know of others who are caught up in the mess in that they are being told to comply with a lower level instruction when the source document certainly indicates a 2 bedroom is suitable.  I wonder how they will treat those in PMQ's across the country as the Q's have 2 or more bedrooms.

Valley Denizen said:
I wonder how they will treat those in PMQ's across the country as the Q's have 2 or more bedrooms.

No doubt Base CE will come out to wall off the unauthorized bedrooms...

Back