• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2013

dapaterson said:
A little seasonal humour...

Remember, remember, the 5th of November
The Gunpowder Treason and plot ;
I know of no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes,
'Twas his intent.
To blow up the King and the Parliament.
Three score barrels of powder below.
Poor old England to overthrow.
By God's providence he was catch'd,
With a dark lantern and burning match

LOL, for those not consumed by English culture!

Technoviking said:
I'll go with the Catholic Gentleman from England.  ;D

Jacobite !!!!  Cavalier !!!! Tory !!!!  >:D

Technoviking said:
I'll go with the Catholic Gentleman from England.  ;D

couldn't remember his name huh?  ;D

It's a start...  http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/senate-votes-to-suspend-brazeau-duffy-wallin-1.2415815

jollyjacktar said:
It's a start...  http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/senate-votes-to-suspend-brazeau-duffy-wallin-1.2415815

Yes, and I heard Sen (LGen (Ret'd) Roméo Dallaire on the radio and he sounded as though he expects to be "caught" when the Auditor General reports ~ the report being due in late 2014. As John Ivison has suggested in the National Post that could well be the most helpful interaction any PM ever has with the AG if, as I expect it will, it shows a broadly based disregard for financial propriety.

I am of the mind that "due process" was not followed.

1. The rules of the senate do not allow them to do that without a criminal conviction
2. The partisan nature of the committee's does not lend itself to credibility.
3. An outside, independent accounting of all senators should have been done before decisions like
    this were made
4. The courts should decide criminality, not some senators with an agenda.
and.....
5. This is going to come back and bite them in the ass, big time.
6. This will not help Harper, it looks too vindictive and panicy

my  :2c:

Plus, I suspect that the Senate's actions may preclude any future legal actions, deserved though they may be. As I understand it, and I'm happy to be corrected, when the police finish their investigation they take their case to a (maybe three) crown prosecutor who then decides if there is a reasonable prospect of a conviction in court. I'm guessing that judges and lawyers might find all the evidence already used by or "published" in the the Senate as being tainted and the crown prosecutor(s) will decline to take the case to court so Brazeau, Duffy and Wallin  will "skate," while Harb, who resigned before this could be done to him, will be prosecuted in court.

E.R. Campbell said:
...... so Brazeau, Duffy and Wallin  will "skate," while Harb, who resigned before this could be done to him, will be prosecuted in court.
Sorry; Mac Harb was a Liberal appointee.  He'll never see a day in court.

/cynicism

Journeyman said:
Sorry; Mac Harb was a Liberal appointee.  He'll never see a day in court.

/cynicism

All the more reasons for the Tories to go after him, to get a balance in the body count.

Rumour has it that the Auditor General, whose final report on Senators is due in late 2014, will both: a) make interim reports; and b) name names. My guess is that Conservative, Independent, Liberal and Progressive Conservative senators will all be stung. Coupled with the fact that I am 99.99% certain that the Surpemes will say that abolition of the Senate is not possible without a major Constitutional overhaul but some (considerable?) reform is within the Prime Minister's powers, I think the AG will give Prime Minister Harper a huge stick with which to beat the Senate reform  :deadhorse: in the 2015 election campaign. Plus, I think it, Senate reform, will be a winning issue for the CPC.

E.R. Campbell said:
Rumour has it that the Auditor General, whose final report on Senators is due in late 2014, will both: a) make interim reports; and b) name names. My guess is that Conservative, Independent, Liberal and Progressive Conservative senators will all be stung. Coupled with the fact that I am 99.99% certain that the Surpemes will say that abolition of the Senate is not possible without a major Constitutional overhaul but some (considerable?) reform is within the Prime Minister's powers, I think the AG will give Prime Minister Harper a huge stick with which to beat the Senate reform  :deadhorse: in the 2015 election campaign. Plus, I think it, Senate reform, will be a winning issue for the CPC.

Hmm.  I heard that a preliminary report naming names may come out as early as Dec.  and has many senators on edge.  I'm sure that many of those, qualifying for pensions might make quiet or speedy exits a la Mac Harb to avoid prolonged spotlight. 

E.R. Campbell said:
Plus, I think it, Senate reform, will be a winning issue for the CPC.

Until someone brings out the footage of the PM cavorting with Mike, Pat & Pam, and points out that they were named to the Senate on the PM's recommenadation.

"Look at the crooks I named to the Senate! I'm the only one who can clean it up!"  does not resonate.

dapaterson said:
Until someone brings out the footage of the PM cavorting with Mike, Pat & Pam, and points out that they were named to the Senate on the PM's recommenadation.

"Look at the crooks I named to the Senate! I'm the only one who can clean it up!"  does not resonate.
And I'm sure electing senators will certainly keep party politics & partisanship out of the process too, right?

I guess the real test will be to see how the PM and the leader of the third party react to their members being named.  Will they throw them out of caucus and will there be government motions to have them suspended without pay.  It will be curious to see how consistant everyone is.

Suspended generally means being set aside until further developments.

IF the AG comes out with an interim report describing improprieties and naming names, could the PM not  do the following?

1.  Declare that it has become apparent that the Senate rules are poorly understood and even more poorly policed

2.  Declare, further, that steps will be taken to improve the Senate's internal economy

3.  Since the problems that the Hon BDW experienced are inherent in the system and not solely the fault of the miscreants/unfortunates they will be reinstated to their duties with/without backpay. 

Go forth and sin no more!

So, a question:  The motions suspended the Senators, but granted them continued coverage under various benefit plans.

Does that not constitute a financial action?  By custom, the Senate cannot originate financial bills; would the decision to extend benefits to Senators even while suspended not break that rule of Parliament?

Back