• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Journeyman said:
I think it's sweet that one can keep doing it over and over and over.  No chance of stacking the deck with a survey designed like that.    :facepalm:

Anyone taking wagers that the results line up with what the Liberals have been proposing?

Not that I'm attributing to malice what can readily occur through incompetence.

I see both malice and incompetence and expect it will come to the conclusion that Dear Leader wants.

Who in their right mind would do this test more that once. You couldn't pay me to take it again.

Incidentally; Guardian, as well.

:subbies:

Jarnhamar said:
I would like the government to continue sending millions and millions of dollars away to foreign countries and find new ways and things to tax Canadians on in order to pay for it.

Come to Ontario. January 1st and we get a brand spanking new Energy Tax Cap and Trade Program.  :Bday Dancer:

FJAG said:
Come to Ontario. January 1st and we get a brand spanking new Energy Tax Cap and Trade Program.  :Bday Dancer:

Have you read the auditor's report?  Total cost to Ontario residents for our energy programme over the next 3 years is estimated at 8 billion in extra charges.  Electricity up by over 20% again. 

FJAG said:

$70 increase for the year ($5.83) based on my last year's usage of Natural Gas. Net decrease in emissions? Absolutely 0.

PuckChaser said:
$70 increase for the year ($5.83) based on my last year's usage of Natural Gas. Net decrease in emissions? Absolutely 0.

What's $8 billion when you're Kathleen Wynne and you are revelling in your 15% approval rating. I was sure what with the various scandals before the last election that she and the Liberals were toast -- but then: Toronto. The trouble is I can't see either of the other parties exciting the voters.

Anyway we have to stop this ongoing campaign to turn Ontario into a third rate province. It became a powerhouse through cheap energy for it's industries and there is virtually nothing left to entice major companies to come here or stay here.  :2c:

An interesting interview with Andrew Breitbart from way back in 2010. Although it speaks of the American political system, it strikes me that Canada's "Laurentian Elites" are probably just as interconnected with academia, media and business as Andrew Breitbart tells us Washington is. It is pretty clear people like Wynn, her advisors and the sorts of people in the back rooms of most political parties view *us* in much the same way the American ruling class views "Red State" Americans as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ldrQKYuSWA

Thucydides said:
An interesting interview with Andrew Breitbart from way back in 2010. Although it speaks of the American political system, it strikes me that Canada's "Laurentian Elites" are probably just as interconnected with academia, media and business as Andrew Breitbart tells us Washington is. It is pretty clear people like Wynn, her advisors and the sorts of people in the back rooms of most political parties view *us* in much the same way the American ruling class views "Red State" Americans as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ldrQKYuSWA

Not a Breitbart fan but this is exactly the reason why I haven't voted Liberal in four and a half decades. If you'd ever lived in Winnipeg and had to deal with Axworthy you'd understand how far the :Laurentian Elite" could spread.

FJAG said:
Who in their right mind would do this test more that once.
"Fellow travellers" was once in vogue.  Students who fit the "rebel without a clue" model, wishing to ensure 'Dear Leader' continues his access to hair products.  Hell, "political interns" (in government or academe), who 'want to do what's right proper.'

You'll note I never suggested either the mentally handicapped or those being blackmailed with food-bank access unless they contribute; that would be cruel.    :nod:

Gerald Butts...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/ontario-disaster-architects-1.3884108

It is uncontroversial to call Ontario's energy situation a disaster. As Premier Kathleen Wynne has herself conceded: Ontarians are now having to "choose between paying the electricity bill and buying food or paying rent."

Wynne's polling numbers suggest that most Ontarians know where to square the blame, with a pitiful 15 per cent approval rating and 58 per cent of the electorate believing she should resign.

However, Wynne alone shouldn't bear the burden for the fact that hydro bills for the average consumer have skyrocketed over recent years; it was former premier Dalton McGuinty and his Liberal team from 2003 to 2012 — including his former principal secretary and "policy guru" Gerald Butts — who set Ontario on this financially bleak, dead-end road. And now, Butts is headed on the same path, leading not the premier, but the prime minister, on the way down.

Sitting here in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona as a temporary refugee from the Green Energy Paradise of Ontario, I would like to note that the state hydro rates are going to drop slightly on 1 January.

I found this law very disturbing and shocked that this would even find traction in Canada.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/12/07/canadian-law-erasing-moms-dads-state-documents-reduces-children-chattel/

Nobody has a mother or a father, according to a certain Bill 28 recently passed in the legislature of Ontario, Canada. Got that? The law’s official title is: “An Act to amend the Children’s Law Reform Act, the Vital Statistics Act and various other Acts respecting parentage and related registrations.”

Basically, the law scrubs the words “mother” and “father” from documents, and replaces them with the neutered term “parent.” The law also raises the number of legal parents to as many as four per child. In other words, the government of Ontario will cease to legally recognize the natural origins of any of its citizens.

tomahawk6 said:
Basically, the law scrubs the words “mother” and “father” from documents, and replaces them with the neutered term “parent.” The law also raises the number of legal parents to as many as four per child. In other words, the government of Ontario will cease to legally recognize the natural origins of any of its citizens.
For better or worse, it's not as simple as one-mom-one-dad anymore. 

Infertile couple A+B has a baby via surrogate mom C?  Which combination of A, B or C constitutes the "natural origin" parents? 

Or a couple A+B using C's sperm and/or eggs (or, to really make it complex, sperm from C and egg from D) to impregnate wife B?  Which are the "natural origin" parents?

People in Ontario should stop complaining and just do more to save money like don't turn on Christmas lights this year. Christmas is offensive anyways and reeks of privilege.

:gottree:

Old Sweat said:
Sitting here in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona as a temporary refugee from the Green Energy Paradise of Ontario, I would like to note that the state hydro rates are going to drop slightly on 1 January.

Rub our nose in it

and I was starting to think you were a decent person.

Jarnhamar said:
People in Ontario should stop complaining and just do more to save money like don't turn on Christmas lights this year. Christmas is offensive anyways and reeks of privilege.
:gottree:

Interestingly enough I don't use Christmas lights yet my bill and usage for Dec always goes way up no matter what province we are living in.  Called them one year enquiring why my bill was so high and that was their first response - Christmas.  Then when I pointed out we don't do it they switched it to heating for the colder weather.  Oops - it was actually unusually warmer in Dec, heat was gas and we were out of the house most of the month other than breakfast and bedtime so had the heat low.  of course never did get any satisfaction on that one.  This year I am taking a picture of the meter today and tracking what it shows every week to ensure their records correspond. 

The electric cost itself isn't what bothers me the most - it is the fees that at least doubles the bill.

Halifax Tar said:
Gerald Butts...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/ontario-disaster-architects-1.3884108

It is uncontroversial to call Ontario's energy situation a disaster. As Premier Kathleen Wynne has herself conceded: Ontarians are now having to "choose between paying the electricity bill and buying food or paying rent."

Wynne's polling numbers suggest that most Ontarians know where to square the blame, with a pitiful 15 per cent approval rating and 58 per cent of the electorate believing she should resign.

However, Wynne alone shouldn't bear the burden for the fact that hydro bills for the average consumer have skyrocketed over recent years; it was former premier Dalton McGuinty and his Liberal team from 2003 to 2012 — including his former principal secretary and "policy guru" Gerald Butts — who set Ontario on this financially bleak, dead-end road. And now, Butts is headed on the same path, leading not the premier, but the prime minister, on the way down.

No arguments from me on that one.

CountDC said:
Interestingly enough I don't use Christmas lights yet my bill and usage for Dec always goes way up no matter what province we are living in.  Called them one year enquiring why my bill was so high and that was their first response - Christmas.  Then when I pointed out we don't do it they switched it to heating for the colder weather.  Oops - it was actually unusually warmer in Dec, heat was gas and we were out of the house most of the month other than breakfast and bedtime so had the heat low.  of course never did get any satisfaction on that one.  This year I am taking a picture of the meter today and tracking what it shows every week to ensure their records correspond. 

The electric cost itself isn't what bothers me the most - it is the fees that at least doubles the bill.

The daylight is shorter so you use more lights, your furnace runs more and the fan motor draws more power, much of that in the higher priced peak usage periods. I'm lucky (?????) because my pool pump in the summer balances out the bills through the year. No big winter shocks that way.

It used to drive me stark raving mad when I lived on the shores of Lake Erie that my "delivery" charge was always equal or more than my "usage" charge especially when there was a bloody big wind farm turbine one kilometer from my house. I bloody well could have carried the power home in a bucket.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-quarterly-polls-nov2016-1.3883456

Recent polls suggest that the Liberal honeymoon is not over.  However, I get the feel from various articles that the appeal is starting to wear-off amongst the media.

MCG said:

Recent polls suggest that the Liberal honeymoon is not over.  However, I get the feel from various articles that the appeal is starting to wear-off amongst the media.

Im not sure much can be expected yet as the opposition is still re-organizing.  Once they get set things may change.

Its a shame Rona Ambrose cant lead the Cons, she's doing a good job.

MCG said:

Because we know how accurate the polls were on Brexit, and Trump.  >:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back