• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay FY 07/08

So?  How do you think all those thousands have felt in Ottawa over all these years, without any PLD? Now they are the 'Baseline'.  Some help that is. 

You have to start somewhere, and I guess this is it.  Is it fair?  Do you have a better 'Baseline' in mind?

George Wallace said:
So?  How do you think all those thousands have felt in Ottawa over all these years, without any PLD? Now they are the 'Baseline'.  Some help that is. 

You have to start somewhere, and I guess this is it.  Is it fair?  Do you have a better 'Baseline' in mind?

The cheapest town in Canada. That way, everyone else gets PLD :D

Max

ArmyVern said:
::)

It's not like it hasn't been strongly suggested in this thread already ...

way back when. Some of you need to re-read.

I wish I had access to the DIN and the CANFORGENS right now, but DVPNI seems to be down.

If I remember correctly, in the past there have been occasions where all or some of the PSAC tables have not ratified their collective agreements within a reasonable time, and an "interim" pay adjustment was given out.  Again, if memory serves, it was in the amount of 2%.  The CANFORGEN announcing this "interim" pay adjustment clearly stated that it was an interim adjustment, and that there would be a further adjustment when PSAC completed their negotiations.

Referring to this year's CANFORGEN, there's no suggestion - not even a hint - that this is merely an interim pay adjustment, and that there will be a further adjustment down the road when PSAC settles.

If what you and others have suggested is true - that is, that there will be a further adjustment - then the CoC has failed again to adequately and officially communicate the status of the annual pay adjustment, and left much opportunity for speculation.

SupersonicMax said:
The cheapest town in Canada. That way, everyone else gets PLD :D

Max

From http://www.finfacts.ie/costofliving.htm

Toronto, the most expensive city in Canada, has dropped 35 places to position 82 (score 78.8 ). Calgary and Vancouver have also tumbled down the rankings, sliding from 71st place to 92nd  and 56th to 89th respectively. Ottawa remains the cheapest Canadian city in 109th position scoring 72.3. Canadian cities have traditionally rated favourably in the worldwide ranking. The new scores reflect a low rate of inflation and stable housing prices. In addition, while it has appreciated slightly against the US Dollar, the Canadian Dollar has depreciated nearly 13% against the Euro since last year’s survey.
_____

Mercer’s survey covers 143 cities* across six continents and measures the comparative cost of over 200 items in each location, including housing, transport, food, clothing, household goods and entertainment. It is the world’s most comprehensive cost of living survey and is used to help multinational companies and governments determine compensation allowances for their expatriate employees.

SupersonicMax said:
So, Ottawa is cheaper than Moose Jaw and Winnipeg?!  I'm surprised!

Max

As am I, I was always informed Cost Of Living was pretty high in Ottawa, being Capital City and all :)

JBoyd said:
As am I, I was always informed Cost Of Living was pretty high in Ottawa, being Capital City and all :)

I think the reason for that is that they also include Gatineau when it comes to the NCR.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
this announcement is not going to please the majority of folks in the CF.

Who cares.  That is not the point of the policy...

Setting Ottawa as the Baseline is a way of diddling about 6700 people out of PLD...about 10 per cent of our numbers.....

Riiight.  The whole thing is a Treasury Board conspiracy to screw over 10% of the Forces.  Let me guess - you think this was so the higher ups could line their pockets, right?

Out.

Back in the summer I heard an individual comment that Ottawa would have no PLD so that it did not appear as a money hand-out for the top of the food chain while someone at the bottom may have gone without in another location.  At the time I figured he was speaking out his arse (Ottawa had a pretty good PLD rate at the time).  While he probably was well outside his arcs, maybe there was something he knew way back then.

PPCLI Guy said:
Who cares.  That is not the point of the policy...

Riiight.  The whole thing is a Treasury Board conspiracy to screw over 10% of the Forces.  Let me guess - you think this was so the higher ups could line their pockets, right?

Out.

Nope I think it's about saving money on the backs of CF members so they can spend it on something else.

MCG said:
Back in the summer I heard an individual comment that Ottawa would have no PLD so that it did not appear as a money hand-out for the top of the food chain while someone at the bottom may have gone without in another location. 

Seeing a Cpl married with 3 kids living in Uplands and paying over $900 for a 40 year old 'Q I'm sure he'd take a different view with said individual.        ;)

Regards

I'm posted to Ottawa in January (proceeding IR for now and looking at a summer move) and can't see too much in the way of housing that is very affordable on the MLS. Taxes are lower and gas is lower but in order to get the same kind of house I've got as in Halifax I'm going to have to live at least an hour away...which doesn't save any money on cost of living. Bottom line is that Ottawa is an expensive place to live so if that is baseline then a lot of other places aren't going to get any assistance.
When I was posted to Gagetown I found it affordable for most of our members to live there given what we were paying NCMs...to answer an earlier question why not make Gagetown the base line ,why Ottawa?

Recce By Death said:
Seeing a Cpl married with 3 kids living in Uplands and paying over $900 for a 40 year old 'Q I'm sure he'd take a different view with said individual.
I'm not disagreeing.  However, if it was a perception management thing, then the target audience is the Cpl in Edmonton (collecting no PLD) who is thinking of all the officers up in Ottawa collecting this money.  The Cpl suffering in Ottawa is easy to hide because he is not thought of when troops in the field units think of NDHQ.

Same issue if the media were ever to spin the fairness of PLD.  They'd be asking why the highly paid senior officers in Ottawa were collecting so much while very little was offered to the troops in Kingston.

284_226 said:
If what you and others have suggested is true - that is, that there will be a further adjustment - then the CoC has failed again to adequately and officially communicate the status of the annual pay adjustment, and left much opportunity for speculation.

Ours told us 'officially'.

Seems yours didn't ... again. Seems like it may be a location issue.

Again, as I stated earlier ... some of you need to speak to yours.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
I'm posted to Ottawa in January (proceeding IR for now and looking at a summer move) and can't see too much in the way of housing that is very affordable on the MLS. Taxes are lower and gas is lower but in order to get the same kind of house I've got as in Halifax I'm going to have to live at least an hour away...which doesn't save any money on cost of living.

Look in the areas southeast of Ottawa (Moose Creek, Finch, Berwick, Crysler).  That's about 40 minutes out and nice little country communities.

Avoid anything within about 10 km of the 417 (Embrun, Rockland, Casselman).  It's just as expensive as Ottawa.

SupersonicMax said:
So, Ottawa is cheaper than Moose Jaw and Winnipeg?!  I'm surprised!
Did you even look to see which Canadian cities were included in this report?

Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Ottawa only were assessed in that report.

ArmyVern said:
Ours told us 'officially'.

Seems yours didn't ... again. Seems like it may be a location issue.

Again, as I stated earlier ... some of you need to speak to yours.

The CDS is the originator of the CANFORGEN above that announced the economic increase.  Why would it be left to subordinate commanders to promulgate additional information such as a potential future adjustment, when the CDS himself didn't make mention of it?

If one follows the sage advice of "Don't believe it until it's on paper", why should I believe the word of a Wing or Base Commander, when they have no authority to speak on national issues such as pay and benefits?  The bottom line is that if there is potential for a future pay adjustment, then the CDS should have addressed it in the original CANFORGEN.

I find it hard to believe the CDS would pass up an opportunity to break good news (such as an additional pay adjustment) to the members of the CF, unless there was a good reason for him to omit reference to it.

Haggis said:
Look in the areas southeast of Ottawa (Moose Creek, Finch, Berwick, Crysler).  That's about 40 minutes out and nice little country communities.

Avoid anything within about 10 km of the 417 (Embrun, Rockland, Casselman).  It's just as expensive as Ottawa.

thanks Haggis I will ponder that. When I lived in Ottawa the last time my parents lived in Cornwall and I used to take a short cut through those communities en route. My brother lives in Kanata so I was thinking out that way but the traffic is nutsy there now. I'll be working at Coventry so the southeast might be cool. I can't bear the thought of Orleans.
Wife wants some space for the dog so maybe that's a good spot. I'll just have to live with the daily commute. TY again

Back