• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

P.E.I. is considering special plates for Drunk Drivers

A news story from June of this year reported, "The P.E.I. government is considering mandatory ignition interlock devices, which drivers have to blow into before their cars will start, for first-time drunk drivers.
Currently, ignition interlock devices are mandatory for repeat offenders, but the Transportation Department is considering a change."

It says the fine in P.E.I. for refusing Interlock has been increased to $500.

"The current law allows judges to impose the ignition interlock system on first-time offenders. A first-time offender can also ask for the device in exchange for a reduced driving suspension."

As far as defeating the Interlock, I read this about P.E.I. and New Brunswick ( may apply to other provinces as well ):

"At random times after the engine has been started, the device will require another breath sample. The purpose of this is to prevent a friend from breathing and humming into the device, enabling the intoxicated person to get behind the wheel and drive away. If the breath sample isn't provided, or the sample exceeds the ignition interlock's preset blood alcohol level, the device will log the event, warn the driver and then start up an alarm (e.g., lights flashing, horn honking, etc.) until the ignition is turned off."

More on Interlock in P.E.I. ( if interested )
http://www.gov.pe.ca/photos/original/ign_int_eng.pdf

Edit to add.

"What it could cost you":
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/impaired/part2.shtml#cost

Yep just like Dad his was 2 years with the interlock and 5 years probation 0% BAL. I think he got the longer deal as he was  retired RCMP, I think that's why he plead guilty right off against his Lawyers advice.

my72jeep said:
My dad had a Special class on his licence that stated if he was caught driving a car with out a interlock he was to be stooped arested and charged with something.

Hope you're not driving today ;)

;D

recceguy said:
Hope you're not driving today ;)

;D
LOL.... I couldn't remember what the charge is or was to be. I just know it was a chargable offence for him to drive a car with out an interlock for those two years.

I got more of a kick out of the fact he was supposed to be 'stooped arested'

Mine was a first and only, I plead guilty, because I was and a lawyer wanted $15k to "guarantee" beating it, which I didn't have.  "Guilty by reason of insufficient bank balance, sir" is how I put it I think.  Anyway, I had the option to install the interlock after 6 months.  I would have had to pay for the installation, pay a monthly rental fee for the machine, pay to have it calibrated monthly (in Edmonton, so a day off work) then at the end I would get to pay to have it removed,  Also pay to have my license altered to reflect my vip status.  I said fuck that and did my year, paid my fines and all that other associated dog shit I mentioned earlier, and carried on.  More of a giant cash grab and an exercise in humiliation than it is either punishment or rehabilitation.  As I said, less stigma attached to selling crack to kids.

It's hard as fuck to argue with anything you're saying. I agree fully. It's also hard to argue against any of the measures they put into place because of the negative stigma it carries.

I recall an accident I was called to a few years back. Just as we were removing the driver from the vehicle one of the Buffalo Cab Drivers pulled two firefighters aside and leaned in to smell dude's breath. Quite quickly I asked him what he was up to and he told me that he needed to determine whether or not the guy might be impaired as soon as possible. When I protested that in the midst of an extrication was not "possible" he argued and said that if we had have got him out before said determination was made that it might make the case more difficult to prove.

I'll put it this way: that cop and his boss reported to my fire station later and apologized.

I asked another cop for advice while getting ready to write that idiot up and what I was told was that many of them get gold smiley stickers for nailing impaired drivers. But they do not need to advance their standing with the boss by doing stupid shit with the possible risk of hurting someone (guilty or not). That, at least to me, put into perspective at least part of the reason they go so hard after it. The other reasons I mentioned previously.

A good illustration of the problem and mind set of chronic drunk drivers:

The driver, identified as 25-year-old Thomasine Harjo, eventually stopped the car. When Harjo opened her car door, officers smelled the odor of alcohol on her breath; but when they asked her if she'd been drinking, Harjo said no.

Police also asked Harjo why she didn't stop when she saw the police barricade. She told them she was just following the car in front of her, although there was no other vehicle in the area.

Police arrested Harjo. She told them she couldn't go to jail because she had to make a court appearance in the morning. When the officer asked her what the court appearance was for, she replied, "DUI."

Harjo was booked into the Oklahoma County jail on complaints of DUI, driving without a state driver's license, and obstruction.

More at the link:  Ada Woman Arrested For DUI After Driving Through Scene Of Fatal Accident

A special licence plate isn't going to stop this kind of behaviour.

Back