• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

P.E.I. is considering special plates for Drunk Drivers

Jed said:
Why stop there? We should have plates for all high accident rate folks, 3 prang-ups and you get a crash vehicle symbol on your plate.
Sounds WAY too much like this:
fighter-pilot.jpg

Jed said:
Or maybe if you are past the age of 75 or happen to be a female driver?
Why not under 20's, too?

Jed said:
If a vehicle is equipped with a machine that won't go without periodically blowing clean into it, then a sober driver, is in all likelyhood piloting the vehicle. Why do you need a plate to advertise that fact?

:goodpost:

My thought exactly.  :nod:

jollyjacktar said:
No, you're probably right.  The hard core drinkers won't stop in all likelyhood.  They will, however, be easier to pick out from the others, and I for one don't mind the heads up.

And as soon as the cop does it, that'll be considered profiling.

[quote author=recceguy]And as soon as the cop does it, that'll be considered profiling.[/quote]

[quote author=milnews.ca]Why not under 20's, too?[/quote]

With the breathalyzer ignition, DUI plates, I was thinking why are repeat drivers not "bumped" back
down on the graduated driver's license level? This would slow them down and restrict their driving to daylight hours as well.

Despite all these "good idea" faeries, those who want to drink and drive will do so no matter what.

Does the national sex offender registry not single people out for harassment? People who have 'paid their debt to society'?

DUI plates may not make these assholes feel bad but it may prompt passer bys, drivers, fellow bar patrons to call the police on them if they're driving erratically.

Those machines are easy to beat- get someone else to blow into them.  If you don't think it happens watch the TV documentaries/expose's of people faking having a couple of drinks and asking passer bys to blow into the machine for them. Lots of people fell for it. 

I can see lots of calls being made about these plates whether the person is doing something wrong or not. There are plenty of sanctimonious, do gooder, busy bodies out there that will feel it's their obligation to call in a trumped up complaint just in the off chance the person MAY have had a drink or because they just feel a plate holder deserves to be harassed.

recceguy said:
And as soon as the cop does it, that'll be considered profiling.
It would have garnered me to perhaps watch your driving pattern more closely than another vehicle, but if there was nothing that got my spidey sense tingling, you'd carry on your merry way.  You still need RPG to pull a person over to do otherwise is letting yourself open to repercussions and you'd deserve any lumps that may follow.

[quote author=recceguy]I can see lots of calls being made about these plates whether the person is doing something wrong or not. [/quote]

Ask MSE if these types of call do not happen with DND vehicles?
Or other government / businesses with specialty plated fleet vehicles.

jollyjacktar said:
It would have garnered me to perhaps watch your driving pattern more closely than another vehicle, but if there was nothing that got my spidey sense tingling, you'd carry on your merry way.  You still need RPG to pull a person over to do otherwise is letting yourself open to repercussions and you'd deserve any lumps that may follow.

That's neither here nor there. Lots of people get pulled over RPG be damned. RPG has been made up on the spot before.

recceguy said:
That's neither here nor there. Lots of people get pulled over RPG be damned. RPG has been made up on the spot before.
Yup, guys don't play by the rules all the time, I agree, and I also don't agree with it.

So, if you've been a douche and now as a result you have a new vanity plate and neato cool imobilizer to go with it for the duration of those conditions it's hoped and expected you'll drive sober.  If you are playing well with the others, no big deal.  You'll either not be bothered or on your way pretty quickly.  I'm not going to be wasting my time on you if your driving pattern is good, I will have other things that need doing.  Really.  I gave up pulling the wings off flies many years ago.

At the very worst, for the period you'll be in the penalty box you'll become used to and adverse to the extra attention, hopefully you'll remember that and think before you drink and drive in future.  I hardly think that you'll wear this Jacob Marley chain of a licence plate the remainder of your days, and at any rate driving is a privilege, not a right.

jollyjacktar said:
And when I was in the business.....
What business?

Bartending? Policing? Licence distribution? Impaired driving?......  :dunno:

Can I point out the fact, that if you are close enough to read the plate, it is probably too late already.

My rejoinder to the Government of P.E.I. is if you are going to have a special license plate for drunk drivers, are you going to have something for those other idiots on the road, (e.g) those who speed; lane changing without signaling, talk on cell phones, etc). The reality is that between 25 - 30 per cent of highway deaths/accidents are caused by impaired drivers; the majority of deaths/accidents are caused by sober drivers who are just as guilty of a crime as the drunk driver.

My :2c:.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Does the national sex offender registry not single people out for harassment? People who have 'paid their debt to society'?

The National sex Offender Registry is not open to public viewing. It is accessible only by LEOs.

Personally, I view people who drink and drive as morons ( albeit there are probably more than a few who have simply erred in judgement). IMO having a special tag on a car to identify someone as a past offender is just another poor move to appease MADD.

Journeyman said:
What business?

Bartending? Policing? Licence distribution? Impaired driving?......  :dunno:
Law Enforcement.

Bluebulldog said:
The National sex Offender Registry is not open to public viewing. It is accessible only by LEOs.

In canada there isn't some kind of thing you can check to see if you're living near a sex offender?

I would point out that if someone needs to breath into a machine to start their car they likely are still paying their debt to society.  It hasn't been paid.  If having plates that label them is added to whatever conditions they have to be allowed to drive again then so be it.  Not everyone who gets convicted of DUI are getting magic plates.  Just ones that want to drive again under set conditions.  This rule isn't for the repeat offender who likely isn't even supposed to be driving in the first place.  It is for the dumbass who risks driving after a party, didn't plan well and got stopped at some RIDE stop and is likely not to re-offend.   

ObedientiaZelum said:
In canada there isn't some kind of thing you can check to see if you're living near a sex offender?

Not anything that I can find. Like I said, there is a registry, but not open to the public. Used as a tool should an incident occur, LEOs have the ability to review a short list of possible suspects in the area.

Back