• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

P.E.I. is considering special plates for Drunk Drivers

J

jollyjacktar

What a good idea. 

P.E.I. drunk drivers' vehicles could get special plates
- Two U.S. states currently issue drunk-driving licence plates
CBC News Posted: Dec 20, 2012 8:42 AM AT Last Updated: Dec 20, 2012 12:24 PM AT

Drunk drivers on P.E.I. may soon have to carry a reminder, and an advertisement, of their crime on the backs of their vehicles.  Transportation Minister Robert Vessey is floating the idea of distinctive plates for drivers enrolled in the ignition interlock program.  "A lot of people have a lot of pride in themselves and an impaired driver sometimes, if they're going to be identified, might make them think twice before they jump behind the wheel of a vehicle while impaired," said Vessey.

P.E.I. had more impaired driving incidents per capita last year than any other province in Atlantic Canada.  Vessey said it's time to get aggressive with drunk drivers, and he is looking around for new ways to do that. Special plates are currently the law in Ohio and Minnesota.

Jean Ryan, the impaired driving program co-ordinator in Minnesota, believes the program is particularly effective for preventing repeat offences.  The Minnesota plate is distinguished by the W at the beginner of the number. "I think when you're driving around with a special series licence plate on the car, it's a constant reminder that you did make a poor decision, and that you really don't want to make that decision again," said Ryan.

Andrew Murie, CEO of Mothers Against Drunk Driving Canada, said P.E.I. is a particularly good place to try the special plates.  "If any place it might work, it might be Prince Edward Island because it's a smaller type of community, more isolated, and neighbours know neighbours," said Murie.  Vessey is hosting a summit next month to deal with the drunk-driving problem on P.E.I., and plans to raise the drunk driver licence plate idea at that meeting.

And when will we special plates for Johns?  Will there be other special plates issued for other criminal offences?

I think that this may constitute a form of Harassment, and could probably be a fight taken before the Human Rights Commission.  It could really turn out to become quite nasty.

Well if Johns were using their cars to kill people as well, maybe they'd consider it for them too.

Ahhh...I completely misunderstood.

I thought it was like handicapped tags, where you get choice parking spots -- a drunk driver plate would imply, "I've been drinking; stay the hell away from me and leave me alone."

Oh well.  :(

Jesus, half of West Prince county will have them and the same for the eastern end around Souris, Montaque, etc!!!!!  :blotto:

If they REALLY want to get serious, make it apply to snowmobilers in PEI!  >:D

jollyjacktar said:
Well if Johns were using their cars to kill people as well, maybe they'd consider it for them too.

Some Johns have been known to kill people.  Not all, in fact a very small percentage of,  impaired drivers have killed people. 

Next question:  Will they differentiate between what type of impairment the person was found guilty of?    A bottle for the booze drinker, a marijuana leaf for the dope smoker, a needle for the heroin addict, a straw for the Coke snorter, a pill bottle for the prescription drug abuser, etc.? 

Education is needed more than harassment.  We did away with the Letter "A" after the Salem Witch Hunts.  Is this not another form of an archaic punishment; an abuse of the justice system?

MADD can kiss my a%&.  I understand why most of them are hard-core and sympathize but, as an organization, they are out of control....

Once the person has completed whatever sentence is given to them IE community service, fine, jail etc. It seems that this my fall under a constitutional issue.

You cannot continue to persecute someone after they have technically paid their debt to society.

Having said that........this may have just the opposite effect in some circles.........all the boys around the trailer park will want "one of 'dem special licences".

George Wallace said:
Education is needed more than harassment.  We did away with the Letter "A" after the Salem Witch Hunts.  Is this not another form of an archaic punishment; an abuse of the justice system?

Education to whom exactly? I would guess that there are very few people that are ignorant to the fact that drinking and driving is dangerous. It has been ingrained in us since we were little kids...right beside "always wear your seat belt." Those that are still committing the offense aren't doing so because they are uniformed, they are doing it because they are idiots.

IMO, which comes from growing up in PEI, the ppl who are drinking and driving, for the most part, won't give a damn about a license plate.  So my assessment on this 'attempt' is not only does their grouping suck, they are on the wrong target.

Joe Islander from Murray Harbour or Smith Road isn't going to give a crap about a license plate if he is the type that is still driving around with a full load of sugarshine downrange.  Might work in Charlottetown, maybe a little in Summerside, (where the *townies* are) but the 'rural' areas...I don't think it will make one bit of difference.

No, you're probably right.  The hard core drinkers won't stop in all likelyhood.  They will, however, be easier to pick out from the others, and I for one don't mind the heads up. 

jollyjacktar said:
No, you're probably right.  The hard core drinkers won't stop in all likelyhood.  They will, however, be easier to pick out from the others, and I for one don't mind the heads up.

And some of the harcore drinkers aren't in cars and trucks in the winter, they are flying around the Rails to Trails between watering holes on ski-doo's.  The Rails to Trails is 'leased' from the province by the PEI Snowmobile Association all winter (Or used to be atleast) and ppl weren't even allowed on it to walk, ski, etc.  Not that you'd want to...

I can, without thinking, name enough people I know (or knew) that have been caught for DUI/have been killed/or killed others that I can use up both hands in a hearbeat. 

And, don't get me wrong, I don't say these things are brag points.  DUI was when I was growing up, and still is AFAIK, a huge problem in rural PEI...which is most of PEI.  I bet the Provincial Court - Alberton part of the Journal Pioneer reads much today like it did when I was growing up.

Case in point:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2012/12/13/pei-cantelo-guilty-plea-584.html

And  http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/drunk-driver-gets-six-years-for-killing-cyclist-on-p-e-i-1.1066781  The area this happened is an EXTREMELY busy tourist area in the summer. 

Unless things have changed ALOT...PEI needs more than plates. 

jollyjacktar said:

Now you have mentioned the best part. I would view these vehicles much as I do those "student driver" labled cars around town.
Other drivers around those two groups would tend to give these groups a bit more space and drive a little more defensively.
As well, since they seem to be habitually reoffending, if their driving is incorrect, it would be easier for Joe Public to call the problem into police.

kratz said:
Now you have mentioned the best part. I would view these vehicles much as I do those "student driver" labled cars around town.
Other drivers around those two groups would tend to give these groups a bit more space and drive a little more defensively.
As well, since they seem to be habitually reoffending, if their driving is incorrect, it would be easier for Joe Public to call the problem into police.

Exactly. 

And when I was in the business, I would have appreciated both the heads up of a plate of interest and or J.Q. Public alerting me to a possible offender.  I know from experience that a un-vanity plate such as this would not be a panacea for the problem as the real chronic won't stop till he's in jail, hospital or the grave, but every little bit of help, helps. 

Why stop there? We should have plates for all high accident rate folks, 3 prang-ups and you get a crash vehicle symbol on your plate.

Or maybe if you are past the age of 75 or happen to be a female driver? What about other people who happen to be driving your vehicle? All this is sarcasitic, of course.

What a bone head left wing approach to an issue. My  :2c: of course.

Just to weigh in on the "completion of sentence" viewpoint, as the article reads it woud potentially apply only to people who are in the ignition interlock program, which is served as an option during the Canada-wide driving suspension you would receive upon an impaired conviction.  I would assume that once the program (and driving prohibition) is completed then the plate would be returned to normal.

I assume of course when the spouse or someone's kids are driving they revert back to "normal" plates?...no??.....more silliness from MADD.

If a vehicle is equipped with a machine that won't go without periodically blowing clean into it, then a sober driver, is in all likelyhood piloting the vehicle. Why do you need a plate to advertise that fact?

Back