• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to bribe somebody else with my money - I've already paid for my share of day care.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/03/27/ontario-budget-to-fund-free-child-care-for-preschoolers-by-2020-as-part-of-22-billion-plan.html

Ontario budget to fund free child care for preschoolers as part of $2.2B plan

In a bid to deal with Ontario’s high child care costs, the Wynne government will offer free licensed care for preschoolers at an average saving of $17,000 per child. (Except that that child will be paying for it later in life, of course)

“The job of a parent has become harder in the current economy,” (And it just got harder due to the increased tax bill) Wynne told parents at Nelson Mandela Park Public School in Regent Park about the plan, which will begin in 2020. “So families need this kind of support and insurance more than ever and we need to deliver it.”

Even Red Star readers aren't buying it. A poll embedded in the article shows:

Yes - We have needed free licensed child care.                                                      36.91%  (8,875 votes)
No - This is a last ditch effort by Kathleen Wynne.                                              57.38%  (13,799 votes)
Unsure - Daycare funding is important, but not an important issue for me.      5.71%  (1,373 votes)

Even Red Star readers aren't buying it. A poll embedded in the article shows:

Yes - We have needed free licensed child care.                                                      36.91%  (8,875 votes)
No - This is a last ditch effort by Kathleen Wynne.                                              57.38%  (13,799 votes)
Unsure - Daycare funding is important, but not an important issue for me.      5.71%  (1,373 votes)

Pathetic.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4112578/doug-ford-nominated-etobicoke-north/

Politics March 28, 2018 11:43 pm

Ontario PC Party Leader Doug Ford acclaimed as candidate for Etobicoke North

By Nick Westoll Digital Broadcast Journalist  Global News

Doug Ford, who was recently elected as leader of the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario, will be running in Toronto’s northwest end in the upcoming provincial election.

During a nomination meeting held at the Toronto Congress Centre on Wednesday evening, Ford was acclaimed as the Ontario PC Party candidate for the riding of Etobicoke North.

“Now we have an opportunity to represent the great people of Etobicoke North as a provincial MPP,” he said, while thanking residents for the support.

“I always say that this isn’t about an election this is a movement.”

I'm so glad we were posted out of the mess Ontario is digging itself into.

Who is paying for all these election promises?
Ontario is digging itself into a hole it will never recover from if it keeps up
this style of politics. Sadly, unless you are from the GTA, nobody wants to hear a solution.

kratz said:
Sadly, unless you are from the GTA, nobody wants to hear a solution.

Nunavut separated from the Northwest Territories.

Perhaps time for the GTA to separate from Ontario?

Sadly, it would appear that her spending is buying her votes while she waits for Doug to shoot himself in the foot.  There is no bigger fool than the man who allows himself to be bought with his own money.

Province of GTA? Where's the door!  :)

See also,

City-state provinces in Canada? Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/124115.100
5 pages.

recceguy said:
Mario, you trolling me brother? It's not April Fools yet.  ;D

Not at all, RG.

I've felt that way since the 1970's when the Metro Chairman argued before the Royal Commission that the GTA should have the range and flexibility of a province in its decision making.

Baden Guy said:
Toronto goes and as a parting gift we'll give you  Doug.

Our loss is their loss.  :)

In terms of Toronto being it's own province, I dont disagree. I think that if we were going to "re-shape" Canada, there'd be a lot of realignment that could be made, such as the GTA being it's own province, the Atlantic provinces being combined into 1 province, etc, etc, etc.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
In terms of Toronto being it's own province, I dont disagree.

That would be nice. It would mean not having to go up the street to Queen's Park to ask permission, with hat in hand, to install a speed bump.  :)

mariomike said:
That would be nice. It would mean not having to go up the street to Queen's Park to ask permission, with hat in hand, to install a speed bump.  :)

At a CMA population of 6.6 million people, Toronto, if alone, would be the 3rd largest province in the country and have more people than PEI, NS, NB, NL, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan combined. Toronto's GDP of $304 billion is larger than that of PEI, NS, NL, NB, and BC. There is a rational argument to be made for Toronto as a province. When looking at the numbers the understanding that Toronto will decide the ontario election is pretty stark.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
There is a rational argument to be made for Toronto as a province.

That would be nice. Unfortunately, it would require a Constitutional amendment:

"For any part of Toronto and the surrounding region to secede from Ontario to create a new province would require an amendment to the Constitution of Canada. The constitutional amendment would require resolutions from the House of Commons of Canada and the Senate of Canada, and resolutions from the legislative bodies of 7 of the provinces representing at least 50% of the population."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposal_for_the_Province_of_Toronto#Constitutional_amendment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back