• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nova Scotia Thread- Merged

That's good to hear about the Parking Pass...any thoughts on Harrietsfield.  Also, any comments on Ramar the company that seems to be building a lot of houses

The key to the parking pass in Dockyard is that you have to be there before 0700 on a week day or you will not find a spot.

When you clear in to your unit, ensure you get a Dockyard Parking request from your RMS staff. Then go to the Commissionaire Shop (near Rainbow Gate) with your PLCC Card/ Insurance/Registration and Drivers Licence.

Parking in Dockyard with no car pass might cause you a towing/impound fee as the MP's and Commissionaires are unforgiving.

Harrietsfield? Ramar? It's all a matter of choice and schools etc.

Lower Sackville is a beautiful community with all the amenties plus a new hospital, two rinks and a brand new Wal-Mart!!!!!!!!!

Current Time-In policy for:

- Stadacona is 10 years for a parking pass (green sticker)
- Dockyard, non-industrial area (outside the fence) is 15 years (white sticker)
- Dockyard, industiral (inside the fence) is governed by your building manager and the position you are posted into. (red sticker)

Most people I know bus it into the dockyard or car pool.

As for arriving on time. Yes depending on where you want to park in the dockyard, you need to arrive between 6:45 thru 7:15. After that you will search for the first spot you find and walk.

The comment that the MP and Commissionars are unforgiving with their $25 parking fines without a pass are true.

Ex-Dragoon said:
The further you live away from Halifax proper the cheaper it is. rents, mortgage, property tax what have you. If you plan to bring your own vehicle to work the bridge toll is 75 cents either way. Cheaper to get a MacPass.

I buy tokens...I think they are 60 cents a piece?

HFXCrow said:
The Red Sticker aka "The Holy Grail"

Umm..The Black Sticker allows the owner to park in any DND spont in the HRM (Stad, Dkyd, Windsor, DC School, NAD, Range, ect...) so while the Red Sticker is not the highest on the list, it is the only one the most of us can hope to reach for.

TN2IC said:
Ah yes...shoot....I forgot... yeah you need at less 10 years I believe to get a park pass there.

15 years for NCMs I believe.  I have no idea how it works for Officers, I was told that it is not the same.  Rank does have its privileges.   ;D

I have never seen the elusive "Black Sticker". I have seen UFO's and Bigfoot though.

Ranks has no privilege for parking passes. All time in!

Ahh, the work of the mysterious Parking Pass Committee.

Now...how does one get on this?

I will start taking bids on passes shortly after I can worm my way onto this urban myth, called the Parking Pass Committee.

:D

I don't know how this all works BUT I do know when I was living in Wellington House, I had a SQ parking pass, and...STILL got a ticket for..yup...parking in front of Wellington House  :rofl:

A WELL-OILED machine :blotto:

My better half had a pass for Stad and parked in the wrong row that is reserved for "the school". Someone made a complaint into the MPs and she got a ticket for it. It did not matter that she was employed at the school's location. If she did not have their pass, she was not entitled to park there. This is why it is important to ensure that after you know you have Time In, you also check with the building manager to ensure you have a parking space.

You are gonna love Halifax!
I live in Dartmouth (Montebello area)...15 minute commute then over the MacDonald Bridge and I nip in the back gate (I work at the base...which is known as Stadacona) The Dockyard is down under the bridge and would probably be another 2 minutes.
MACPASS (Electronic Pass) is the way to go. you give them a $30 dollar deposit on the transponder and it is billed automatically to your credit card...saves fumbling for tokens or quarters...dropping them on the ground occasionally and best of all....you don't have to wind your window down when it's  -30C with the wind chill factor! ;)
There's a joke here that the CD is the "Parking Pass medal" cause you gotta have big TI to get a parking pass in the Dockyard. The General parking outside is scarce if you get here much after 0715 I'm told.
Lot's of activities here though for military families. the MFRC is one of the oldest in the country and has a lot of programming......family days down in the Dockyard in June...bring your family. George Canyon is playing this year in the evening I'm told.
Any hooo.....enjoy. It's a great posting.  ;D

Don't worry..I was on Base Taxi and got a ticket... don't ask.

TN2IC said:
Don't worry..I was on Base Taxi and got a ticket... don't ask.

??? Oh but inquiering minds would want to know.  ;D

Ad Tech:  I used to live out past Harrietsfield and I loved it, it was a bit of a hike into work and the Rotary at Quinpool/Spryfield is a major pain if you hit it after 0700.  Grab a Tim's on the way down, turn up the tunes because you aren't moving for at least 30 mins.  I did like it out there though, I was about 10 mins from the Beaches.  The roads in the winter can be a bit dodgy for clearing and sanding. Property taxes aren't too bad out there, but there was a concern back in 99 about the well water quality as they were finding evidence of heavy minerals in the supply so if you are on a well, have your potable water checked as part of your conditions to purchase. 

My in laws all live out in Glen Arbour (on the way to Tantallon - French's Bay) and the whole area out that way is lovely.  Takes my sister-in-law about 25 mins to get to her work near the Dockyards.  There are a lot of new builds out that way.  As for info on new builders, there is a web site called www.canadiansforproperlybuilthomes.com which has a ton of info and links on buying a newly built home etc in Canada.  Well worth the read.  Keep in mind that most of the home there are either fueled by furnace oil, propane or electricity as natural gas isn't readily available to the large market. So keep that in mind when looking at your finances. (oh and if your are swayed to buy a quaint fishing village house built in the early 1800s, do check the insulation in the attic BEFORE you buy it... they have a tendency to be insulated with dried seaweed under the pink stuff...LOL)

As for the Sackvilles, I have friends that have lived there all their lives and haven't much to complain about.  Personally, I'm not sure why the area has such a bad rep, when there are other places that are much worse like Preston.  One thing you may notice about Halifax proper is there is a tendency for nicer residential areas to be just small pockets that are surrounded by not so nice areas. It was explained to me that one has to approach Halifax differently than most Canadian cities and realize that it is first and foremost a Navy/Seafaring port that grew into a city and the tough, no nonsense attitude still very much remains.  The other thing I noticed was the people of Halifax *are* the salt of the earth folks but don't suffer fools gladly, they are very friendly to tourist and visitors and remain so as long as said visitor eventually leaves, but if you aren't from there it can take a while for the locals to warm up to you.  I was lucky, I got a small pass as my surname is a local family name so it bought me some goodwill from the locals. (and be prepared that there are also some family names that have a long history with the LEOs and if you happen to share that surname, be prepared to give out your lineage so you aren't mistaken as one of them.  (and if your last name is Dorsey, move to New Brunswick and commute...LOL)

Grade schools can be a bit of a challenge to find a decent one and IIRC, the french immersion schools down there require either a parent or grandparent to be a French speaker before the child is admitted. I'll inquire of my kid as to whether that is still the case, as she is looking into the schooling situation presently.

The MOT, in Nova Scotia requires you to have your car certified on a yearly basis along with the regular licencing fees.  As well, auto insurance is expensive down there no matter what your experience is.  Mine jumped from a modest amount here in Ottawa to a heart-stopping, I feel sick amount in Halifax.  So that said, you may not need to concern yourself with a parking pass as you won't be able to afford the insurance (or gas once you've paid the premium). 

Daycare can be a bit of another challenge as the MFRC and other daycare centres do not account for any shift work done by the members so if your trade has any likelihood of early starts or late shifts, you will probably need to find a home care for any kids you have.  Both my kid and her husband have shifts in their trades and finding a daycare was a nightmare for them. 

There are a ton of museums, forts, citadels, redoubts, beaches, quaint fishing villages, scenic drives, festivals, ceremonies and whale watching to visit, observe and participate in so you'll have no problems keeping busy. 

Good luck!

$142 to register my car ( just did it last week ) for 2 years.  Not sure how that compares to the other provinces.

As for insurance, I get mine thru The Personal, and my rate (36 year old, no offences driving a 4 door sedan type car) is $107 a month.

I'm not sure if Halifax gets PLD, I don't think my brother does, BUT, things are more expensive in NS!!!
Everything cost of living. 
But, it's very laid back, easy going maritimers are fun to hang out with. Can't beat the history, the people, and the BEER.
As you can tell, Halifax has it's ups and downs, just like every other place in Canada has.  I'm from there, so I love the place and miss it dearly.
|Cheers|

Back