• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nova Scotia Thread- Merged

Cybelle24 said:
Thanks a lot, that's a good idea. What I would need to know is if a degree in teaching is required to teach French in schools in Nova Scotia, or if being bilingual is enough ?? Because I'm bilingual and I have a degree in translation but NOT in teaching. If you could ask that question to your friend, it would be very helpful to me.

Thanks a lot !!

My neighbour has been out of town the last week or so, but her husband says she should be home by wednesday next week, so as soon as I talk to her, I will private message you and fill you in. Sorry about the wait.

I too am posted to Shearwater. I am going to be there mid November. I will be in a PMQ for a few months until dh and I find a home. I wanted to say that family is close there for us and so I'm not so nervous, but it is our first posting there. Our first choice was Greenwood and Shearwater was our second choice. We are actually glad we got Shearwater for "more to do", but as far as housing...Greenwood is cheaper in the long run.  I'm thinking that I shouldn't have too hard of a time finding a part time job while my girls are in school for the day. They are 8 and 5. Well...take care and good luck.

Taracotta (currently in Borden, Ontario)

Hi there, Im hoping someone can help me out a bit. Does anyone know if living in Greenwood is more expensive than living in Ontario (kingston)? Grocery/Gas/Utility/Taxes wise?
I just found out that you are taxed on food in NS... not too happy with that one.. but what can ya do.

Does anyone know if the Qs are segregated (sp?) in Greenwood? I thought all bases werent anymore... but the cfha site shows that they are

This tool is helpful for comparing cost of living:
http://www.salaryexpert.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=COLCalculator.USCOL

Stupid site all it did was add the HST and told me I needed to make 15 percent more.

Greenwood to ontario. You only pay HST on processed food. And heating oil, Medicine, and the other necessities. But you save it all because you can't shop here on a Sunday.

Things cost less here in Greenwood than in Ontario for the most part anyways.

That site told me the same thing... have to make $500 more.  I sure hope thats not right.

Having lived in Greenwood and just down the road from Kingston my opinion would be living in Kingston is more expensive. Food, fuel is about the same say just a little more in Greenwood but housing taxes are far greater in kingston by alot. I am assuming you mean Kingston On not Kingston NS.

enjoy kingston it is a lovely town and worth the extra money.
We are so lucky in the maritimes.

3rd Horseman said:

No we are not. Where is the sunday shopping, Where is customer service. Why is everything so backwards and behind the times here. In the 15 years since I left, instead of progressing the whole province regresses into a shambles.

No one care's about the ECMA's except easteners. Sociables...give me a break. Lazy dirty people and ex-cons hanging out at timmies. (Shave dammit, take a bath and wash your clothes. High top sneakers are out as well as skin tight jeans. the 80's are dead)    And tons litteraly tons of fat kids.
WE ARE NOT SCOTTISH,.,.,If i ever meet the Alexander Keiths dirtbag I will personally kick his stupid nuts..... and the guy who thought of it..... and the people who make those dumb ass commercials.
Call me a disenchanted maritimer.

Whoooooaa......lol Mover, who pissed in your cornflakes????  Come on, its not that bad is it??
PS- You're right about the fat kids!
Steve :cdn:

We have just moved to Shearwater this past summer from Kingston and I would go back in a heart beat... Everything is backwards and costs so much more.. 7 dollars for 4 litres of milk?... Ontario 4 bucks..Gas over a dollar a litre Ontario 80 cents ...cheese, yogurt, bananas and so on.. I have had to go back to work to help pay for the food... The PLD is going up to 396 a month which has doubled...this will only help to pay for oil for the winter..

It is beautiful out here but I really do miss Ontario..

Siggy

Its a beautiful piece of the world.  However you have to deal with people who have been here for the past three hundred years. If you don't walk the walk or can't understand the talk, then you might have a hard time of it.

I have lived in Greenwood for slightly over four years, I used to live in New Brunswick and am from PEI so, I have lived in all three and I would have to say that Greenwood is the most screwed up, boring and insignificant community I have ever had the misfortune of living in. All I can say about it is that the best part of Greenwood is seeing it in my rearview mirror as I drive away. Its not just the Valley either, people all across this province seem to have a hard time even driving the speed limit. I think that there is some unwritten law that states you are only allowed to drive as fast as your age (90 years old = 90Km/h). As mover 1 stated THIS IS NOT SCOTLAND!!!!!! I have been to the real Scotland a few times and it is not here for Christ's sake! The Keith's guy is even more annoying than the Canadian Tire guy. Sociables are retarded and by the way Keith's beer is swill. Even Halifax is boring and (here we go, I am about to piss some of you off) The Lower Deck SUCKS ASS!! The happiest day of my career will be when the movers show up and I am out of here for good. Now, that feels much better.

3rd Horseman said:
Having lived in Greenwood and just down the road from Kingston my opinion would be living in Kingston is more expensive. Food, fuel is about the same say just a little more in Greenwood but housing taxes are far greater in kingston by alot. I am assuming you mean Kingston On not Kingston NS.

enjoy kingston it is a lovely town and worth the extra money.
Your right, I was asking about Kingston ON.... we were in Kingston, so thats why I was comparing it... we are being posted to Greenwood and I cant wait... we despised Kingston!

Gramps!!  I AGREE 100%  Halifax is a hole, the lower deck is crap, and the Kieths guy needs an ass kicking  :skull:

ATTN:  Gramps.....lol.  it seems you are not alone in your hatred of the Can. Tire Guy!

http://my.yahoo.com/rogers_y_frame.php?mh=0&url=http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/life/article.jsp?content=20051031_114409_114409

cheers

PV

Well.. when my family was there about 5 years ago they were.. they are here as well in Shilo..

Officers have different rows.. completley away from Ncm quarters I  do believe , as being a child with a Father whos a Warrent and my friend Dad's being The CO and a Lt. Col. haha.. they had seperate everything , I remember going to ablock party and they were all nice but gave me funny looks ( knowing I was an ncm's daughter ) , funny how it is huh lol.

Very interesting topic......... It would be an eye opener to find out how many bases still practice this segregation of classes.
  I served over 25 years (Army) and never saw a base that did not openly flaunt this style of living. As a soldier I couldn't give a rats @#$%^. 
  As a Father I saw how hurtful it was to the "dependant" children. It really incubated, from an early age, an "us and them" mentality. Once they hit high school the children had been trained that you don't cross the military cultural class line. Prior to that it was the parents that quietly enforced this rule (imagine the shock on the officers wives faces next door in that upscale base local, when an NCM's wife pulled into the officers driveway in an NCM car and unloaded her NCM child. My goodness, even that NCM dog looked a little ratty......)
  I imagine that this will continue as the walls are still defended by this archaic mindset.

Now wait for the other sides defence...............

Back