• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nova Scotia Thread- Merged

Go to your nearest Defence Establishment and look at the PMQs.  They are the same design 'Coast to Coast'.  Small differences will appear, such as those in Kingston do not have basements for the most part, but on a whole they are all the same.  Radar Bases had mobile homes, but all major Bases basically look the same.  Only other differences are the quality to which those Bases maintain their PMQs.

There are no pics on the below link but I can tell you that the PMQs in Greenwood are not that bad compared to other places. Rent is relatively cheap and many of the PMQs have recently gone through some renovations as well. Cheers.

http://www.cfha-alfc.forces.gc.ca/locations/greenwood_h_e.asp

Thanks you guys.  The only thing that has me wondering is that the sq footage is less, compared to other bases, so I wasnt sure if it would be reliitvely the same.  So far, weve been posted to Kingston, and Winnipeg.
I couldnt agree more with you though Gramps, the prices are amazing in Greenwood.  But we have A LOT of stuff, and theres no way we can fit it all into a 4 bdrm 1200 sq ft place.  I see the SOs have bigger places - oh if he could just get promoted faster, lol. We need the size of those places!

Try phoning or e-mailing base housing at Greenwood.  They should be able to fax or e-mail you the floorplans and measurements of the various designs.  This done with a  PMQ msg will allow so residents to plan their furniture arrangements ( or sell what won't fit!).  Give it a whirl!

Tarutig said:
...   But we have A LOT of stuff, and theres no way we can fit it all into a 4 bdrm 1200 sq ft place.   I see the SOs have bigger places - oh if he could just get promoted faster, lol. We need the size of those places!

That's odd - I thought the size of one's PMQ was linked to the family size, and availability ... not furniture (?)

"That's odd - I thought the size of one's PMQ was linked to the family size, and availability ... not furniture (?)"

I believe you are correct on this point. You are also limited to the amount of furniture that can be shipped at DND's expense. From what I remember you are entitled to 20,000lbs, anything over and above that is billed to the member.

Gramps said:
"That's odd - I thought the size of one's PMQ was linked to the family size, and availability ... not furniture (?)"

I believe you are correct on this point. You are also limited to the amount of furniture that can be shipped at DND's expense. From what I remember you are entitled to 20,000lbs, anything over and above that is billed to the member.

Thats correct.......20k lbs is the max that they pay for

Hi everyone,

I'm a 24 year-old-girl living in the province of Quebec, I'm not in the CF but my boyfriend has been for almost 10 years now. In June 2006 (when his class to be an ACS tech is over), we will be posted outside the province and right now, our choice of posting is Nova Scotia, at the Shearwater base or the Greenwood base.

I would like to know if some people on this forum are currently living there or have been posted there in the past, and if so, what are your impressions ?? What do you think of Shearwater or Greenwood ?? How is it to live in Nova Scotia, is the cost of living very high ?? Are the civilian houses expensive ?? Are there many job opportunities for the wives/girlfriends ?? Basically, every piece of information you can tell me about Nova Scotia or Shearwater or Greenwood interests me.

Thanks in advance and I'm waiting for your comments !!  :)

Shearwater doesn't offer much of a choice as far as which aircraft he will work on, it's only Sea Kings and in 3-4 years we'll be switching over to the Cyclones. Greenwood can offer Hercs or Auroras to work on.

Shearwater is part of the Halifax Regional Municipality, Halifax is the largest city in the Maritimes so make your own conclusion about job prospects for wives/girlfriends. Greenwood on the other hand is located in the Annapolis Valley and the opportunities are very few and far in between for spouses in that area, especially if you're a professional such as an accountant, banker, or something to that effect. It's a very small town type of area and all major shopping you'll want to do will be done in Halifax.

Being posted to Shearwater doesn't mean you have to live in the city either, there are areas around Shearwater that can offer the small town type of atmosphere while at the same time being close enough to commute to work and "play".

As for cost of living, you'll have more money in your pocket since income tax is quite a bit lower here than in Quebec, though I think house prices are a bit higher than you'd find in Quebec. It's not unreasonable though. Check http://www.mls.ca/map.aspx to get an idea of prices in the area. Houses are going to be more expensive in Halifax than the surrounding areas, but that's the same with any city.

Hope that helps.

Cybelle24,

Don't be surprised if you don't get much input on this topic.  I say this, because Inch, more or less, covered it quite accurately.  Although his post was quite short, he based it on the facts and left personal feelings/opinions aside.  Sure, you may get some advocates for both areas, but Inch's information was on the ball.  Having been posted to both bases, and remaining in contact with friends at both locations, I can ensure that things haven't changed very much.  Even his housing info was correct.  The cost of housing in Nova Scotia has jumped considerably in the last few years, and you can expect it to be more expensive than the Majority of Quebec (especially northern Quebec, such as Bagotville, Chicoutimi, Jonquiere, etc.).  But it shouldn't be a major shock by the jump in price.  Take it from me.....someone that just moved from Halifax to Comox (Vancouver Isle.), now there's a shock in price! 

Either way, I'm sure you'll get to love it down East.  Bonne Chance.

Chimo! 

I live in Cole Harbour, which is about 15 to 20 minutes away from Halifax. We bought our house a year ago, and just within the last year our property taxes have skyrocketed. Houses in my area a year ago were in the range of $135k to $150k and now they are pricing in around $145k to $165k. Highest house in my neighbourhood right now is $169k(and not worth it!) I can't do any comparisons based on Quebec, but I can compare to Victoria, my home town. Housing is cheaper out here if you want to buy, otherwise it can be expensive to rent. Many things are more expensive here than else where, like milk and gas for example. Where we live, we are about 10 minutes from Shearwater. There are quite a few job opportunities depending on what you are looking to do. The wage is lower than what I am used to, but I am not the primary bread winner so my money goes to the fun stuff(and the high heating bills in the winter!) Halifax is a nice place to be. Very friendly and easy going and things run alot slower here than elsewhere in the country that I have been. I think you wwould like it here. It took me a while to get used to it, but I do really like it out here now and am trying to convince my family to move out here and out of Victoria.

Hope this helps you out.
I would also suggest to check out this website http://www.halifax.ca/

I also live in Cole Harbour and have to agree with pretty much everything that was already said here.

Our unemployment rate is at 5.3% right now and like Springroll said sometimes the wages aren't the best but if you are willing to look and be patient for the right job I am sure that you would find something that you are happy with.  I know that I am happy right now as I make a very good wage working for the city.

Like someone else said you are not forced to live in the city and there are plenty of options in regards to housing possibilites.  There are the PMQ's not sure on their condition though, plenty of houses, apartments and rental houses.  If you move a little further out from the city your housing costs will be a little cheaper. 

Over all there are plenty of opportunties here and the area is beautiful.  Not looking forward to moving in the next month to 8 months.  :(

Oh yes, one more thing that you may find difficult to accept.  There is no Sunday shopping!  It's not my intent to get into a debate over this, just a simple "head's up."  When you're used to it, you have to make quite the adjustment to accept that there is none.....especially when you have visitors that wish to  spend some money on a Sunday.  Mind you, there's always the Waterfront, a beautiful place in itself (and it is permitted to remain open on Sundays).  As well, most stores are open until 2100 hrs Saturday, to try to accomodate this. 
Just FYI.

Chimo!

I've never been posted to either base but I've lived quite a few years of my life in Nova Scotia.  I currently live only 10 minutes from Greenwood.  The people from the base I speak to (I see alot as I work in a veterinary hospital with many clients from Greenwood) all seem to enjoy the lifestyle in the Annapolis Valley excepting those who are the hardcore city people.  If you like to visit the city on occasion its about 1 1/2 hours from Greenwood.  As for doing major shopping in the city, I guess it depends on what you're looking for.  Most people do just fine with the occasional  visit to Halifax as there's sufficient shopping for most things either in Greenwood itself or New Minas; about 20-25 min. from Greenwood.  I'm not pro/con either place just giving you more information.  Personally, I'll be moving closer to the city in the next few months for other reasons but I do love it in the Valley.  You can find a single family home for $140 000-$160 000 easily and those are nice homes.  I have a b&b for sale if you're interested.  ;)

Good luck on your next posting wherever you go.

Cybelle24,

I currently live in Shearwater. I live in a 3 story, 3 bedroom home and I pay $700 plus utilities. Our rent will be going up very shortly by $25. We enjoy living here. Some of the duplex's around here (and even the homes) are in rough shape but they are currently expanding 3 of them in my area alone as we speak). Our home was redone last summer and it is beautiful inside/out. There isn't much around here to do if you don't drive. We are on a bus route so that helps. There are no stores to walk to persay. Just the canex, the gym and rink. There's an aviation center and the base itself. I have only been here for 3 months but so far its a step up from the area I just moved from. I was previously living in the city but in a place much worse off. If considering Shearwater (or surrounding areas) I would check with the potential places first and make sure it's a safe place to move a family. There is so much to do here for someone who is just moving here. I have lived here my entire life and still find things to do. There is plenty of work to be found in the city for yourself as well.

On the other hand, I grew up in the valley so I do know what it's like there for a lifestyle. Greenwood is a beautiful place to live. (We still drive down there on a Saturday just for the shopping and to visit). However, as someone already mentioned, we don't have Sunday shopping. It was discussed in a recent vote and lost to majority  :(   
The people in Greenwood (as in Halifax) are very nice. There isn't a lot to do in Greenwood but the price of living is much cheaper. The jobs are in slim pickings in the valley as well. The shopping center is within walking distance from the base. There is plenty to do and see no matter where to decide to go. Either way you should enjoy the East Coast (and may I be the 1st to tell you - Welcome! )

S.Bradbury

Thanks a lot to everyone who answered my question. Your information is VERY valuable to me.

I don't know much about Nova Scotia and this is the first time in my life that I will go on a posting with my boyfriend, so of course I'm kind of nervous and I have many questionings about it. My main concern is will I be able to find an good job ?? I have a bachelor's degree in Translation - my mother tongue is French since I'm a Quebec native but I'm bilingual - so I hope it will help me to find some work. The other day, my boyfriend mentionned to me he had heard that there is a Translation department on every Canadian base. Anyone knows if it's true ?? I sure hope it is, because it would be an amazing opportunity for me to find a job right in my field.

Once again, I want to thank you all for taking the time to answer my question and give me information about Nova Scotia. Maybe sometimes you think that what you have to say is trivial, well write it anyway 'cause for someone like me who has never been on a posting before and who knows very little about Nova Scotia, there is no trivial piece of information.

So keep on writing people !!  ;)

I have a neighbour who was teaching french at one of the school here. I can talk to her about it, if you like?

Springroll said:
I have a neighbour who was teaching french at one of the school here. I can talk to her about it, if you like?

Thanks a lot, that's a good idea. What I would need to know is if a degree in teaching is required to teach French in schools in Nova Scotia, or if being bilingual is enough ?? Because I'm bilingual and I have a degree in translation but NOT in teaching. If you could ask that question to your friend, it would be very helpful to me.

Thanks a lot !!

Just because this sat for a whole day and no one responded I will tell you that in Ontario one does NOT need a teaching degree to be a SUBSTITUTE teacher in French as they are so short that some are actually doing full-time jobs in some places.
I would have no reason to think that some places in NS would be any different but I'm sure there would be a website somewhere there that could help you further....

Back