• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New personal equipment for soldiers

George Wallace said:
With these new Snowshoes, has the Dept of Indian Affairs made any comment on the loss of livelihood to the Native Reserve who had produced the Aluminium ones for decades to the Forces (The ones that are now being sold in some Cdn Tire stores.)?
George, our new snow-shoes are being produced by GV Snowshoes, est 1959. The factory and head office  are located in the Huron Wendat Reserve in Quebec.

http://www.gvsnowshoes.com/eng/index.html

Oh thanks for the website.  I now have a place to tell them what crap they are.  Serious utter crap.

CFL said:
That reminds me I need to put in a UCR for all the good it will do.

Geez CFL...3 posts for this??  :)

Ours are a special order. No need putting in a UCR...the message is already out not to use them until the plastic crampons are replaced with metal ones. It's discussed on this thread:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26212.0.html

As for e-mailing the company....don't bother..it was a contract spec problem on PWGSCs part. They didn't specify "metal crampons" so guess what? They didn't get metal crampons on the delivered snowshoes. It sucks but it's not the supplier's mistake...

I don't have a problem with the crampons (we have metal ones).  I have a problem with them snapping on the frame.  Many, many, many pairs have broken under moderate use.  Imagine pulling a heavy tobaggon in deep snow when your snowshoe breaks.

CFL said:
I don't have a problem with the crampons (we have metal ones).   I have a problem with them snapping on the frame.   Many, many, many pairs have broken under moderate use.   Imagine pulling a heavy tobaggon in deep snow when your snowshoe breaks.
I believe that 2RCR experienced quite the same thing with their snow shoes before the message to cease use came out. Just not a very good piece of kit, plain and simple.

I would like to see that in writing (not to use) and the reissue of the old stuff (which hasn't happened yet).

CFL said:
I would like to see that in writing (not to use) and the reissue of the old stuff (which hasn't happened yet).
CFL,
I will go in to work today to pull up the refs for you. PM me your e-mail address.

These new snowshoes are once again proof that people who don't know what they are talking about, are making decisions that they shouldn't and turn out to be a monumental waste of DND funding.  I learned early as a young Boy Scout in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, in 1967, after purchasing a pair of these from Eatons on Main Street, as they were all they had left in stock, that they were crap.  I needed snowshoes for a Winter Camping expedition.  I bought these "Snowmobile Snowshoes" and went out to find that without 'Trails' (or 'Tails', depending on who taught you to snowshoe.) they had a terrible tendency to flop all over the place and slow me down immensely in following all the guys who had snowshoes with "Trails" that kept their snowshoes properly aligned. 

Yes, these would be great snowshoes for those too lazy to take their snowshoes off to operate a snowmobile, but they are totally useless to Infantry pulling toboggans. 

Without the Trails, how do you store them outside your tent group?  Usually that was done by forming a 'fence' of snowshoes stuck in the snow near your ruck.  How do you take them and make a lounge chair in the snow, by sticking the trail through the other and relaxing?  How do you 'toboggan' down a steep hill, by resting on the trails and slidding down? 

Whoever passed these "Snowmobiler's Snowshoes" definitely had not done any serious snowshoeing in their life.

I liked the grip on the new ones (metal crampons).  The buckles are plastic though and as I mentioned the frame broke very easily.  I did also like the set up for wearing them and had now issue moving in the snow when they were working.

CFL said:
I liked the grip on the new ones (metal crampons).   The buckles are plastic though and as I mentioned the frame broke very easily.   I did also like the set up for wearing them and had now issue moving in the snow when they were working.

CFL...e-mail sent

Can you tell I'm running out if s**t jobs...I joined this site...
The snowshoes work as follows-great on lake surfaces
                                          -good on soft "not so deep" snow
                                          -suck on wind hardened snow; slopes are the worst
                                          -the cleets you have to remove in order to walk without tripping,
                                            are the only things keepin the shoe from snapping in half
                                          -not good in wooded areas; any deadfall under the snow and kiss the
                                            "super-strong" frame good by
                                          -hope you don't plan on FMO of 100lbs+
                                          -straps get wet and freeze...hope you're used to fighting with them on
                                          -oh and.....did anyone notice where I dropped the skin and cartilage
                                            from my shins :crybaby:
Can maybe the ppl who get to use this amazing Kings Issue Temporary be involved in these indepth and expensive trials?

it may be a spec issue to get plastic crampons instead of metal, but would anyone think plastic crampons would support a 200lb soldier on sloped ice? :-\ :-\

do the GV snowshoes made for the canadian army look anything like these ones

http://groups.msn.com/2wheelsgood/gvsnowshoes.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=793

i'm having a real problem with the alloy rivets on mine failing so i hope yours don't have the same rivets

eric e :boring:

Has anyone seen some detailed pictures of the CADPAT (WO)? I remember seeing this little thumbnail a little while back.
Will it be like the older winter-whites (pullovers) and just have the digital print or will their be more?

A couple days ago Dukes Coy (and I assume the rest of 1RCR) turned in the new snowshoes and were re-issued the old ones.

There was official message traffic cut on this re-call last year. I will attempt to find an electronic copy to post on the thread.

Back