• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New personal equipment for soldiers

Oh c'mon now, it would be just weird if it didn't go off on a tangent...

It wouldn't be a thread worth adding too if it didn't go off tangent.
That pic I provide was in the papers.

*laughs about the tangent comments*

As for the pic from the paper I'd say that one isn't so bad. I mean, none of the soldiers' faces are visible. If I were part of the general public I'd probably just think it was a pretty cool lookin pic.

Cheers,
Pinky

Anyone know what the new Hydration Packs look like? Heard that some of the guys going/are overseas in Afganistan have it,

3L/100oz CADPAT.

I thought I had a pic of mine floating around but cannot find it.

Its a camlebck - I mean its not doing your laundry...

Here is the same version as ours but in US ACU
pm60302.jpg

Edit: ours has 'daisy chain' straps on it.  

Yes same valve.

It has the bite cover, on/off valve and quick release feature. All the new high speed Camelback features.

What I kinda find surprising is that the CTS staff didn't try and find a "Made in Canada" hydration system.

Another tangent, but what the heck is this? From the original article:

...Whiskey Battery, 20th Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery (CTC)...

20th Regiment???  W Battery belongs to the Artillery SCHOOL, not the "20th Regiment RCA (CTC)." There's no 20th Regiment at CTC; not even in the Atlantic Area.

There's no excuse for this. This isn't some civvie reporter walking off the street; this is an ARMY article. Makes you wonder about the accuracy of the rest of the article, if they can't even get that right...

What I kinda find surprising is that the CTS staff didn't try and find a "Made in Canada" hydration system.

Very true, but i trust CAMELBAK gear. But is begs the question, is there a Canadian company that does Hydration systems? If so, how do they compare?

Just a thought

MPSHIELD said:
Very true, but i trust CAMELBAK gear. But is begs the question, is there a Canadian company that does Hydration systems? If so, how do they compare?

Just a thought

Platypus is used by MEC and Wheelers, although I am not sure if that specific brand is Canadian.  Although I like the idea of using camelbak, it shows there are at least a few higher ups with the cajones to say "no we do not need to find a made in Canada solution for this with endless trials to go with the procurement.  There is already a very good product on the market right now, it works,  and alot of troops already use it anyways."  Now if only they could start doing that with some other products.

Guardian said:
Another tangent, but what the heck is this? From the original article:

20th Regiment???   W Battery belongs to the Artillery SCHOOL, not the "20th Regiment RCA (CTC)." There's no 20th Regiment at CTC; not even in the Atlantic Area.

There's no excuse for this. This isn't some civvie reporter walking off the street; this is an ARMY article. Makes you wonder about the accuracy of the rest of the article, if they can't even get that right...

That is weird, cause 20th regiment RCA is a militia regiment in Edmonton, with a subordinate battery in Red Deer

Platypus is used by MEC and Wheelers, although I am not sure if that specific brand is Canadian.  Although I like the idea of using camelbak, it shows there are at least a few higher ups with the cajones to say "no we do not need to find a made in Canada solution for this with endless trials to go with the procurement.  There is already a very good product on the market right now, it works,  and alot of troops already use it anyways."  Now if only they could start doing that with some other products.

Hatchet Man-Well said.

The gym in Trenton has a civy  version of the new snow shoes.  We used them in  the winter during PT,  and might I say  there was no stepping on my tails  at all.    And the teeth on the bottoms work great for climbing  hills, no more walking sideways .

On the rest of the kit,  haven't seen it,  no opinion yet

Daidalous said:
The gym in Trenton has a civy   version of the new snow shoes.    We used them in   the winter during PT,   and might I say   there was no stepping on my tails   at all.     And the teeth on the bottoms work great for climbing   hills, no more walking sideways .On the rest of the kit,   haven't seen it,   no opinion yet

Well the Military version sucks and they are on freeze right now by CANFORGEN...must fix them before we can wear them!! Now a CFFET and MSA item vice on your Clothing Docs.

Man who in the hell buys all the crap stuff that we get,  if the civy version works great than buy the dam thing,  stop messing around with  what works.

As per having the snow shoes only issued out via a MSA  I can see pros and cons to that. 

Daidalous said:
As per having the snow shoes only issued out via a MSA   I can see pros and cons to that.  
CFFET and MSA. Therefore all the 1st line field Units will have them right in their QM as part of their CFFET to issue out to personnel of their Units during the duration of their posting there.
The rest uf us Base dwellers will get them from the MSA should we do snow-shoeing for PT etc...

Seems fine to me...the people who will actually require them routinely will have them. I see no problems with this set-up (except for the actual snowshoe being crap).

armyvern said:
Seems fine to me...the people who will actually require them routinely will have them. I see no problems with this set-up (except for the actual snowshoe being crap).
With these new Snowshoes, has the Dept of Indian Affairs made any comment on the loss of livelihood to the Native Reserve who had produced the Aluminium ones for decades to the Forces (The ones that are now being sold in some Cdn Tire stores.)?

Back