• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need for a new Army dress uniform (Split from: Return To Old Army Officer Rank Insignia)

Old Naval Guard said:
Very funny, the last :) two posts. I agree with Corperal Major. If the army wants to keep rifle green thats ok i guess ::),However please lets at least change the mint green shirt.

As a self-appointed haberdasher to the Army, what colour options would you recommend for a new shirt to go with our green DEU?

Old Naval Guard said:
We should bring the tans back for summertime. They look sharp, look army :army: and have a place in Canadain military history :warstory: :salute:The only other alternative is  a Khaki CF DEU .

Why is that the only other alternative?

Old Naval Guard said:
A Patrol blues would be nice , but with the US Army changing from the OD uniform to a Blue , we dont want to look like we are copyin the Americans. My two cents  :2c:With respect Old Naval Guard

It seems that no matter what we do, we get criticized for not being like someone else, or for being like someone else. For the critics-R-us crowd, it really doesn't mater, apparently there has never been, isn't now, and never will be a correct solution to anything in the CF.

Two cents worth?  Careful, you may be over-valuing your contribution.

And here's a smiley, just because it supposed to show I'm a nice guy .... :-\

I would like to make a reply to the Good Captians Comments These are just my views, I have a right to my views as anyone else on this fourm. I have read other people complain about the current army DEU. As a former Militamen, for many years I was wearing both the Green and Tan DEU. I like the tans, they were a great uniform.  As far as the future army DEU may or may not be that up to other people. We are here to exchange views and ideas not to belittle on another :salute: Have a nice day Sir

Old naval Guard, I'll offer the same response I sent to you PM:

And I have as much right to challenge your opinions as you have to make them.  If you do not wish to have your opinions challenged, then don't post them.  In my opinion, those who throw out suggestions without being willing to back them up with reasoned debate are not making useful contributions.

I'm having a wonderful day, thank you.

Old Naval Guard said:
I like the tans, they were a great uniform. 

No they weren't !! I prefered the tans myself, but to say they were a great uniform .......yeah right. They had the look and feel of a cheap polyester suit.

CDN Aviator said:
No they weren't !! I prefered the tans myself, but to say they were a great uniform .......yeah right. They had the look and feel of a cheap polyester suit.

MTS2_EsmeraldaF_955115_Larry_full.jpg

Here's a polyester suit for ya CA.....

;D

Since the military personifies action, we need this polyester suit:

On the other hand, I'd much rather the time and money spent on uniforms and orders of dress (small as it is) be converted to small arms ammunition and field training.

Of course, were it left to me, and with an unlimited budget and time, etc, I would offer up a dress uniform similar to this:
guderian-sm.jpg

No swatsikas, of course.  But the tailoring, cut and "look" of the world war 2 German uniform was, as some would say, "smart".

But since it's not left to me, and budgets and time are both limited, I suggest we go with this uniform:
CinCPin-44.jpg

I always thought the Danish had a pretty sharp workdress uniform. Basically for garrison they wear combat pants/boots, with a green short/long sleeve shirt. For field use, just replace the top with a t-shirt/combat shirt.

Here's a good example of what a Danish soldier might look like:

http://www.hellomagazine.com/photo-galleries.html?imagen=/royalty/2009/04/02/marie-denmark-bump/imgs/marie-2a.jpg

That said, there's obviously higher spending priorities about.

Technoviking said:
Of course, were it left to me, and with an unlimited budget and time, etc, I would offer up a dress uniform similar to this:

With unliited budgets and time, I'd rather train the people inside the uniforms to the same calibre as the men in the pictures!

Thucydides said:
With unliited budgets and time, I'd rather train the people inside the uniforms to the same calibre as the men in the pictures!
Ah, but there's the rub.  The budget is unlimited, as is time, so there's time (and money) for both! 

(For those other than Thucydides, please note that I'm being sarcastic, and I actually agree with his point.  But still, those uniforms are sweet) ;D

Keep it simple and cheap- just swap the awful mint green shirt for either a tan shirt or a white shirt (see latest US dress uniform as well as certain French soldier dress uniforms). White shirts already in the system. Anything more is a massive effort that isn't going to be approved anytime soon.

Senor Mono said:
Keep it simple and cheap- just swap the awful mint green shirt for either a tan shirt or a white shirt (see latest US dress uniform as well as certain French soldier dress uniforms). White shirts already in the system. Anything more is a massive effort that isn't going to be approved anytime soon.

???

I have Linden Green long sleeve and short sleeve shirts.  No Mint Green shirts in my closet.

I have a white shirt to wear with bow tie and DEU tunic for Mess Dinners.  Of course I prefer to wear my Mess Kit with spurs instead.

I think a Tan shirt with Rifle green pants, tie and/or tunic would be a No No with the Fashion Police.

So I am having a hard time grasping your "fashion sense".

You think a green dress shirt colour that was last fashionable in 1974 is better than a tan alternative seen the world over today on dress uniforms? The green tunic/tan shirt combo was worn in the US in the mid-60s and looked sharp, before the worst period in human fashion history began soon after. Green/tan looked good in Garrison Dress when I wore it in the early 90s.

You bring up an interesting note regarding mess DEU- the white shirt is already worn. Make it the new norm, I say. Forget about pips, forget about sam brownes- Just rid us of the light green, please.

I don't need fashion - I just need pride. 

Anyone who suggests that the current uniform, of any of the services, is somehow not worthy of those who have died (figuratively at  least) wearing it, just doesn't get it.

I am proud to wear my uniform, and often do in public, even when travelling - and I have been throughout my career, including, I might add, work dress.  It is not the skin that makes the sausage, its the meat.

We have uniforms.  Wear them with pride, and thereby honour both our accomplishments and our fallen.

My 2 cents

Senor Mono said:
Keep it simple and cheap

Ah yes, these are the principles that build pride!  Perhaps elegant and cost effective would be a better way to describe it?

Technoviking said:
But the tailoring, cut and "look" of the world war 2 German uniform was, as some would say, "smart".

Maybe the issue with the uniform isn't so much the color as it is the cut as you so well said.

let.s nto forget that the Wehrmacht had their uniforms designed by Hugo Boss.

I'm guessing that if the forces ever fancied asking a "Maison Haute-couture" to redesign the uniforms, we.d end up with some pretty sharp stuff regardless of colour.

Ok enought silly talk. Its talk like this that is going to be getting you people into wearing tans, work dress, and garrison dress again.
If you value your fee time then stop it immediately.  ;D

Those who like the tans abviously didn't wear them or didn't look at themselves int he mirror too closely.
Problem with the tans.
They fit like bags.
every stain from grease and blueing from the rifles showed on them whenever there was rifle drill involved.
Boot polish ...yes boot polish would show on the bottom of your pant legs sometimes up to the knee.
Light Tan and a rifle green tie with dark ranks, Canada flashes etc...the whole thing looked horrible.
Pretty soon we are going to be leaving Afghanistan. That will effectivley turn us into a peace time army. Which means that there will be a lot of staff officers looking for little pet projects to improve morale etc then we will start getting stupid things like new dress uniforms with more boots etc that no one needs, all the while stuff we do need is being mothballed.
I suggest we start thinking about new arctic tents and sleeping bags seeing as thats where the Canadian Army is going to be spending most of its time (the arctic) if its not on the parade square. And if we are on the parade square do you really want two or three uniforms to prep?
The current CF uniform is sufficent enough.  It looks good.
Wear it with pride.

And if you don't like the cut you can always get it altered and taken in. Or out.....

Inky said:
Maybe the issue with the uniform isn't so much the color as it is the cut as you so well said.

let.s nto forget that the Wehrmacht had their uniforms designed by Hugo Boss.

I'm guessing that if the forces ever fancied asking a "Maison Haute-couture" to redesign the uniforms, we.d end up with some pretty sharp stuff regardless of colour.

I thought it was just the SS that had the Hugo Boss designed uniforms?

Pegcity said:
I thought it was just the SS that had the Hugo Boss designed uniforms?

I don't think it was so much that Hugo Boss (the individual) designed the uniforms for the SS (someone else personally did that) but that Hugo Boss AG (his company) had contracts to manufacture them (like other clothing manufacturers).  Boss was a party member and that may have something to do with him being awarded such contracts (and receiving "help" with labour difficulties).  Of course, if one provided shoddy goods to the SS, their customer complaints would probably not be handled by a phone call to a 1-800 line.  In looking at tags in some old uniforms of mine I don't think that "Vetements Burtmar" (in an old tan DEU) or "P and J Clayman" or "Peerless Garments" had any hand in designing CF uniforms, though there may be significant differences in the quality of the garments produced by different manufacturers.  Now if "Logistik Unicorps" had provided items to the SS, there would have been a lot less complaints about quality or service.

I believe that the design and the manufacture of uniforms are different contracts.  Once the design has been tendered and approved the uniform contract is then awarded for the manufacture of uniforms from the "sealed pattern" provided by the CF.
That being said I would imagine that the same company could, possibly, win both contracts.

Back