• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need for a new Army dress uniform (Split from: Return To Old Army Officer Rank Insignia)

Although I would never admit this to them, I think that the Royal Marines' No.1 Blues (sans pith helmet please), are a good dress uniform. It gives the unit a bit of class. If we're on parade, we might as well dress up a bit so we don't look like the other 'fish and chip' mobs ambling about the military community these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZxRXItXAdw&feature=fvsr

Keep the CF Greens for 'less official' or nonpublic occasions, much like the Royal Marines use their 'No. 2 dress' or 'Lovats'.

Salute or handshake?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENUS9siw4yo&feature=related

If we went for the RM blues we would need an alternate head dress. Remember Tom Cruise from Taps with his beret in dress uniform, just doesn't look right. The forge cap or pith helmet would be proper for blues. The No.2 dress would be very smart though, replace the Greens with those and I think more of us would be happy to wear them. What material are they made of?

Tango18A said:
If we went for the RM blues we would need an alternate head dress. Remember Tom Cruise from Taps with his beret in dress uniform, just doesn't look right. The forge cap or pith helmet would be proper for blues. The No.2 dress would be very smart though, replace the Greens with those and I think more of us would be happy to wear them. What material are they made of?

It's a light wool material I believe, not as thick as CF green if I recall correctly. Quite sharp (but not as sharp as the Guards' berethea service dress that I wore, of course!)

I ordered my mess kit in Doeskin, costs more but I like the look of it compared to the berethea.

Bravo Juliet said:
instead of the lime green shirt i rather wear a tan shirt.
I had been thinking the same thing. Swap that pastel green for tan, and maybe get some summer weight pants, but otherwise leave the DEU alone.

Seriously, the current cadpad green comabt uniform is enough the wear in the garrison. Its not heavy, really more confortable versus the CF. I dont want to work with a shiny uniform and shiny boots.... We work outside and this kind of uniform is not appropriate to use. So thats why we wear and will keep it in garrison. This is not for nothing the work dress disaspear...... in the land army.

One thing i will be happy, create a new CF for the summer. Our current one is to warm to do a parade.

And you youngster never had to wear the infamous garrison dress. Coveralls got much more use back then as combats were reserved for field activities only.

Yes but why do you all think that MARINES wear blue? Because historically there is a naval connection... not so with Canadian Army/Land Command.

I don't think a blue dress uniform would make sense.

Tango18A said:
And you youngster never had to wear the infamous garrison dress. Coveralls got much more use back then as combats were reserved for field activities only.

No but take a lot of time every night to spit shine my boots, and refresh pant and shirt... its a bit to much freak... We are soldiers, we work almost on vehicule inside or outside, dust on this kind of uniform.... oil... or anything else is not proper for that uniform  and its not a coverall keep it all clean.

Officers choose to be officer, they much live with their choice and wear the CF offen..... If they think its not confortable and too heavy, not really my problem.

TimBit said:
Yes but why do you all think that MARINES wear blue? Because historically there is a naval connection... not so with Canadian Army/Land Command.

Really?

From the Regimental Standing Orders of the Canadian Guards, 1966 (because it's at hand to quote from):

Blue Patrol Dress (1A) (i/e., with whites, orders and medals) would be worn at "All state functions or as a representative of the Canadian Army when Full Dress has not been ordered, Church parades, funerals, court martials, Guards of Honour, and as ordered."

TimBit said:

Hardly, old chap. Many regiments already have a No.1 Dress Blue uniform or 'Patrols'. It's just not worn that often.

Schifty said:
No but take a lot of time every night to spit shine my boots, and refresh pant and shirt... its a bit to much freak... We are soldiers, we work almost on vehicule inside or outside, dust on this kind of uniform.... oil... or anything else is not proper for that uniform  and its not a coverall keep it all clean.

Are you spit shining your combat boots and pressing you Cadpat????? I think you have missed the point of wearing DEUs, and the usage of coveralls to keep your cadpat from being stained by oil and grease.

daftandbarmy said:
Hardly, old chap. Many regiments already have a No.1 Dress Blue uniform or 'Patrols'. It's just not worn that often.

I stand corrected...twice.  :-X

Tango18A said:

I guess that all depends on how you define "back then". Although I wore coveralls often when we worked on vehicles, I surely pressed many a set of combats (including with starch) and spitshone many a boot, in the '70s through the 80s and 90's. We avoided workdress as much as we possibly could (until it finally died a well-deserved death) and the hated garrison dress was really just a brief blip of silliness.

Cheers

Bring back the tan and forage caps!!!!!!!!!!  It looked mint!!!!

The USMC service dress looks suitable.  A darker shade of tan for the tunic, with the same light tan for the shirts.

I would love to have scarlet dress uniforms. 

If, and it's a big IF, there is a 'need' for a ceremonial dress uniform then, surely, dark green, rifle green is an appropriate colour for the Canadian Forces. After all some of our roots lie with e.g. Butler's Rangers and, even earlier, Rogers' Rangers.

If we need a ceremonial uniform it should be 'rooted' in authentic Canadian traditions, it need not and should not be a pale imitation of our American or British cousins. Rifle green is an appropriate colour; maybe a high collared tunic and a bandoleer (as circa 1885 to 1915) would be appropriate, too; ditto, perhaps, a Wolsley helmet.

But: keep it Canadian; keep it simple and dignified; make it 'smart' so that soldiers will be proud to wear it; make it reasonably easy to maintain in good, 'smart' condition; and, above all, make it a free initial issue to every trained soldier.

Edit:typo/Excuse: old age

Yes!  A proud, Canadian uniform!

22.jpg

BernDawg said:
Why, that's quite the Beaver you have there....... ;)
Thanks, I just had it shaved:
8395.jpg

But, in all seriousness, I see no need for a new service dress.  We had the "S3" CF uniform when I joined, then tan/green, and now green.  There was work dress, garrison dress and lord knows what else.  The only improvement I saw was when we went from FN C1 to C7.  But I must admit that the FN had "the look" of a rifle, but in the end, looks only gets you in the door: it's how you perform that seals the deal, if that means anything.

Very funny, the last :) two posts. I agree with Corperal Major. If the army wants to keep rifle green thats ok i guess ::),However please lets at least change the mint green shirt. We should bring the tans back for summertime. They look sharp, look army :army: and have a place in Canadain military history :warstory: :salute:The only other alternative is  a Khaki CF DEU . A Patrol blues would be nice , but with the US Army changing from the OD unifrom to a Blue , we dont want to look like we are copyin the Americans. My two cents  :2c:With respect Old Naval Guard

Back