• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

It’s easy to get dirty
If you are a barbarian.......

Animal House GIF

We, in NDHQ's materiel Engineering branch who were responsible for making it happen, called the whole DEU thingy "Coates of Many Colours" in honour of the Hon. Robert Carman Coates, P.C., Q.C., M.P., the MND of the day, who imposed the DUE on us.

And who cannot be mentioned without reference to "Tiffany's Cabaret".

This will probably happen, not in the immediate future, but some years down the road as each Corps/Service/Regiment wants have some unique identifier and preferably from public funding. The impetus will probably start from a Reg F or high profile Res F unit like the Ceremonial Guard, and if this request is approved then the flood gates will open. Things like: different colour forage caps (blue instead of khaki), buttons, tunic; trousers or sweaters; lanyards; cloth instead of metal Corps/Service/Regiment insignia; unique Corps/Service/Regiment rank insignia like the Arty or Foot Guards; riding crops for Calvary Regts; swagger sticks; summer white Patrol Dress uniform; and so forth.
probably sooner then you think, I was in a RCEME corp brief last year and they were talking about having cloth blue shoulder flashes on the new DEU's, regimental belt etc. RCEME also got back pstrol dress in the last dress regs update, mind you it is either NPF or at own cost to purchase them.

Eight buttons on a naval tunic are pretty much standard across Commonwealth nations, both military and auxiliary/merchant. It’s a nautical tradition. Canadian Coast Guard officers wear an eight buttoned jacket as does Royal Fleet Auxiliary, Merchant Navy (Canadian, British, Indian, etc).

Depending on the company you work for, most deck officers and engineers only ever wear them at receptions for customers, launching’s, or as requested by fleet managers, charterers.

But every Chief Officer/Engineer and Master Mariner I’ve known was proud to buy one once they’d reached senior officer certification, regardless of the frequency or opportunities to wear it.

Regarding white dress, I don’t get the appeal of polyester “tropical” tunics. Contracts in southeast Asia demonstrated the value of long sleeved soft white cotton boiler suits that fitted loose, breathed, and reflected the sun. These made sense at the equator and on deck watch.
For officers, yes. However chiefs and petty officers first class in RCN 1.0 and in the RN still today, wear six button jackets. Then there was this guy, who dared to be different.image.jpeg

probably sooner then you think, I was in a RCEME corp brief last year and they were talking about having cloth blue shoulder flashes on the new DEU's, regimental belt etc. RCEME also got back pstrol dress in the last dress regs update, mind you it is either NPF or at own cost to purchase them.
There’s a joke about men and fashion in here somewhere.

I was under the impression that most, if not all, were moving back to cloth shoulder flashes with the new CA uniforms.

And, after a parade with weapons, all the troops looked like they were sweating oil out of their right armpits ;)
That wasn't the uniform's fault. Why is it that hundreds of thousands of soldiers in dozens of armies could wear tan uniforms and not "sweat oil".

Maybe we should have brought in a few Brit RSMs to kick some butt.

🍻

I believe the Brits use cloth covers on their parade rifles to prevent soiling the uniform.View attachment 84513
I think that the idea was not so much from dirt but to protect the uniform from being damaged by protrusions and to protect the sight and charging handle while being used for drill. The forestock cover seems ideal for protecting the uniform from both abrasion and dirt at the shoulder.

Regardless of its purpose, a twenty dollar accessory like this would have solved whatever the problem was with our rifles and would have negated an expensive change in uniform.

I also tend to want to believe that the real reason that it was changed was because a certain general at the time thought that the uniform didn't have a sufficient "slimming" effect on his body like the dark green did. :censored:

As an aside, someone needs to wake up the gunner at the front left who is about to drop his rifle. :giggle:

🍻

Back