• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCD Ballcaps

Pegcity said:
I totally agree with you guys, but when you are on NOAB and an Officer tells you to do something you do it, i was not going to argue.

Is there any possibility that the issue was to do with your wearing it in a pub?  It would be normal for CF members to take off their hats in such a place.

N. McKay said:
Is there any possibility that the issue was to do with your wearing it in a pub?  It would be normal for CF members to take off their hats in such a place.

That's not the issue. The crewmembers in question told the OP to remove the hat because he was not a member of the crew, not because he was indoors.

Sounds like some of the crew wants to have their cake and eat it too......... ::)

Which pub were you at? If it was the Tudor House, then there might be an explanation.

Kind of makes me want to put on a ships hat, head downtown, and go fishing. 

I am in a cake serving kind of mood.

Its just too bad I am stuck in Waikiki.

Hmmm, I'm at a loss then, if they didn't want you to wear it, why would they let you buy it...

I guess some people just have their own way of doing things, right or wrong...

Yep, that sounds like the West Coast attitude to me.  It seemed to me that there was an above average amount of folks with too much time on their hands every time I have been there.  They need to get a life.  ::)

Not condoning the treatment that Pegcity experienced,  but is there a possibility the ball cap was being worn in a manner that was disrepectful to the Winnipeg? i.e. Gangsta style, backwards etc? I remember the reaction of some CAR members when civvies in Pembroke and Petawawa wore the unit t shirt as well, it was less then pretty and I am sure they were bought as well.

Seems to me we are dealing with a unique situation here.

First of all, I think we all know that for serving personnel, it is inappropriate to wear another ship's ball cap onboard your current ship. By extension, I would consider inappropriate to wear another ship's ball cap ashore when I know I have even a slight chance of running into  current shipmates (I might make an exception here for an "historical" ball cap from a ship retired from service of special significance to the member).

However, for civilians, visitors, family members and any other person, not currently serving in the Navy, wearing any ship's ball cap, properly and respectfully, is always acceptable.

In the present case, if I understand well, Pegcity was an NOAB and attending at the pub with an officer. Two things: Some NCMs may have had a little too much and decided to look for trouble or, seeing him with an officer they recognize, they may have decided to "test" that officer a bit, for some reasons totally unrelated to  Pegcity.

In either case, Pegcity, I would tell you to continue to wear your ball cap with pride and just ignore such interventions, especially in pubs.

I have two kids in the navy. I buy my gear from either Canex or the Pacific Kitshop.  I wear my caps with pride.  Almost every article of apparel now has a corporate logo or sports crest and I choose military as I am proud and retired (army). 
I never played for the Maple Leafs and my name ain't Hugo Boss. 
I'll buy it in a military store and the profits can go to the ship.
Is there a east coast kitshop for hats as I will be out East soon?
Enjoying my coffee in my VANCOUVER mug.
:salute: :salute:
I like the buy a drink scenario.

Quite Right, I myself have a HMCS Halifax Ball cap, and I wear it with pride now and then, as a Former member of Canada's Naval Reserve. I wish I had a Naval ballcap non unit specific. I war this ball cap as I support the Canadain Navy :cdn: :cdnsalute: Cheers Old Naval Guard

Myself include. I was a 24 year x-reg force army medic  (& also 6 year x Royal) attached posted from the supp reserve to HMCS JOLLIET for 4 years. I was only one of 2 (niner-dom, a clerk, was the other) who wore cadpat. I was & am proud to wear my NCSM JOLLIET cap & HMCS CORNERBROOK I got when the ship was here on a great lakes tour a few years back .
Ready-aye- Ready

Old Naval Guard said:
... I wish I had a Naval ballcap non unit specific...

If you're still anywhere near a base, just make your way to a Canex.

There's all sorts of 100 Years of Navy clothing/hats.

Good point though - I am a collector of Naval ball caps (drives my wife over the edge sometimes!) and there is no simple "Canadian Navy" ones - unless I am missing something???
I recently gave one to my 15 year old niece which says "Old Real Navy" She is at "that age" though and doesn't quite get it!
I still have "a lot" of ship's ball caps (left and right coast) from the time prior to them being standardized and some are pretty sharp - favourite is probably YUKON.

Pat in Halifax said:
Good point though - I am a collector of Naval ball caps (drives my wife over the edge sometimes!) and there is no simple "Canadian Navy" ones - unless I am missing something???
I recently gave one to my 15 year old niece which says "Old Real Navy" She is at "that age" though and doesn't quite get it!
I still have "a lot" of ship's ball caps (left and right coast) from the time prior to them being standardized and some are pretty sharp - favourite is probably YUKON.
Next time you're in a US port - the US Navy Exchange has a decent selection of crested stuff with 'NAVY' on it including ball caps.

Pat in Halifax said:

Maybe because we don't have a navy we have Maritime Command  ;D

Well that's weird: If anybody out there is still around from the "Great Manitoba Flood", then they should have their "NAVY" ball cap they were issued at the time.

Back