• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCD Ballcaps

Matt_Fisher

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Are the ballcaps that are authorized for wear with NCDs an issue item, or purchased through the ship/formation canteen/kitshop?

They are purchased at public expense and issued to the sailors upon joining the ship.  However, they do not come through the CF Supply System.  Each ship purchases them from local suppliers.  There are are defined specifications (i.e. colour, size of lettering, etc) with which the caps must comply in order to be allowed for wear as a uniform item.  With the exception of "scrambled eggs" on the brim for the CO, no embellishments are allowed.  Ships will usually also carry them in the canteen so sailors can buy replacements if they so desire.  Canteens will also set up to sell them to visitors.

I made the mistake of wearing an HMCS Winnipeg cap at a local pub in Victoria, the NCM members were not too happy.  I learned my lesson pretty quickly.

Pegcity said:
I made the mistake of wearing an HMCS Winnipeg cap at a local pub in Victoria, the NCM members were not too happy.  I learned my lesson pretty quickly.

Thats too bad, a nation's pride with it's citizens showing support and publicity with such a hat, from  such a fine ship and crew can go a long way. If I seen someone wearing my Unit's hat or t-shirt in a pub, I'd buy them a beer and ask where they got it, not criticise someone for wearing it.

Pegcity said:

You have to be kidding me.

It was not a mistake wearing a ships ball cap at a local pub, people buy ball caps all the time for friends and family members.  The NCM's who expressed their displeasure in you wearing the hat were out of line.  C.C. has the right idea.

agree with CC & DH. Its all about pride! Especially during our Centennial!

GO NAVY! :cdn:

Lex Parsimoniae said:
Unless you happen to be FDU(P) or FDU(A)  >:D

Just because people do things, doesn't mean they're allowed to.  To the best of my knowledge FDU (A&P) have never been authorized to do that and the issue has been raised, but still it continues....  The submariners have been known to do it as well, but they seem to be less roguish and on the west coast, stopped when they were told to do so.

This sort of cowboy approach to the rules sometimes happens when you elevate groups to elite status.

Pegcity said:
What was their issue with you wearing the cap?  Like the other posters, I would be proud to have people wear my unit's ballcap [which we sell to the public at every opportunity ;D].

I have four or five old (black) ballcaps from other units that I have worked with. I admit to choosing not wear one around Halifax to avoid complications. While on vacation or home I will wear them as others have posted.

My Father wears my ship one proudly. I would like to see somebody to tell him to take it off.

(Probably over-reacting here, please annotate my Army.ca Div notes as req'd)

Lex Parsimoniae said:
What was their issue with you wearing the cap?  Like the other posters, I would be proud to have people wear my unit's ballcap [which we sell to the public at every opportunity ;D].

I was told by the officers i was with it was disrespectful to wear it if i was not a member of that ships crew. And i was instructed to take it off.

Pegcity said:

Pegcity said:
I was told by the officers i was with it was disrespectful to wear it if i was not a member of that ships crew. And i was instructed to take it off.

I'm confused – was it “NCM members” of WINNIPEG or “officers you were with” that told you to remove it??

In any event, the caps are widely sold for public wear.  In addition to being given to people who day sail aboard the ship, they're regularly given away to chandlers, ship's pilots, tug boat crews, etc when in foreign ports.  It's a great way to build good will and get free advertising too.

Anybody telling a member of the public to remove a ship's ball cap is wrong (except in situations when wearing any form of headdress is wrong such as a mess, etc).  Out of curiosity - how did you come to possess a WINNIPEG ball cap?

The Officers i was with told me to remove the cap, the NCM members were from the ship who's cap i was wearing, HMCS Winnipeg, and they were not happy i was wearing the cap.

I had no issue removing it, as i understood it was part of their uniform and i shouldn't be wearing it in that situation if i was not a member of their ship.

I wear it at home, i agreed in that situation it was best i took it off.

Pegcity said:
The Cap was purchased on a day sail on HMCS Winnipeg during NOAB.
Exactly - the ship sold you the ballcap and, with it, the right to wear it as you see fit; no cries of "disrespect" allowed. If they don't want non-ship's company members to wear it, they know what they can do to stop that.

That being said, it is a little "civvie" - but if you are still a civvie then no problem. Once you get a unit ballcap of your own you can wear that around.

I wonder if ship's should now post signs at their canteens instructing visitors to please buy their ball caps, but don't ever wear them?  I'm sure that will help sales considerably!  To the ingrates who expected you to take it off, I would say that they should re-think their attitude and the next time they get a "free" beer or pop after storing ship or a freezie or RAS candy during a RAS, or attend a ship's company dance, they should think about and thank all the people who buy stuff in their canteens to provide the revenue to pay for these things!  Ships' Funds make a killing on crested merchandise when they're open to visitors and it is the Ships' Funds that pay for all the parties and a lot of the other fun things in the Navy.  There should be no strings attached to what people do with the stuff afterwards.  I'm pretty sure that not all the people I see walking around in Senators jerseys have actually played for the Senators.

I totally agree with you guys, but when you are on NOAB and an Officer tells you to do something you do it, i was not going to argue.

Carcharodon Carcharias said:
T...If I saw someone wearing my Unit's hat or t-shirt in a pub, I'd buy them a beer and ask where they got it, not criticise someone for wearing it.

I agree.  Some military-types have taken possession of the units they belong to way too far, not realizing that the public is supporting them.  They're treating it like a qualification badge that another soldier is wearing if they aren't entitled to it.

IMO it is the ultimate compliment, no different than an average American wearing a Navy Seals shirt.

People have to view it like a sports jersey.  If you played for the Toronto Raptors, would you jack a guy up on the street who was wearing your team's jersey because he didn't earn it, or thank him for choosing to support you?

Pegcity said:
I totally agree with you guys, but when you are on NOAB and an Officer tells you to do something you do it, i was not going to argue.
Please PM me with the officer's name and approximate date.

Back