• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Ball Cap

I honestly thought we were going to get skewered much harder than we did, but there's no denying that the 'economic increase' and CFHD are policies made by a combination of bureaucrats and politicians who are apathetic, or perhaps mildly hostile to us and our institution but wanted general and flag officers to quit making pleas. The ironic piece is that this affects the core people in the Navy, and 1 CMBG strongly - elements that we need more than anyone else to be happy and want to stay in the military. And so it continues to unravel...
Ultimately, TB was dead set on sticking to the budget allocated back in 2008, and didn't give a hot damn about the fact that we're bleeding personnel. They told the CAF to come up with something that fits those constraints, and CMP did.

It sucked and is stupid, but given the constraints I think it probably sucked about as little as you could reasonably expect.

When your employer doesn't really care about the fact that people are leaving in droves, what do we expect to happen?

Ultimately, TB was dead set on sticking to the budget allocated back in 2008, and didn't give a hot damn about the fact that we're bleeding personnel. They told the CAF to come up with something that fits those constraints, and CMP did.

It sucked and is stupid, but given the constraints I think it probably sucked about as little as you could reasonably expect.

When your employer doesn't really care about the fact that people are leaving in droves, what do we expect to happen?

About "quick wins", I can only see two options for the CAF leadership since we've already established the apathy from the GoC above:
  1. Do nothing
  2. Implement whatever quick wins you can
"Force TB to give us more money" isn't something realistic, with the whole "military under civilian control" thing that liberal Western democracies generally abide by, and I don't think most military members know the power (or lack thereof) that CAF leaders hold. Yes, they can highly influence CAF members, but outside of the department? Not so much.

I think that the days of "resigning in protest" are long gone, not because leadership only care about their careers, but because what exactly changed after the RCN Admirals resigned in the face of Unification? It's better to work within the system to improve what little you can influence.

Back on topic, unlike the long blue hair, etc. ball caps weren't something created by the RCAF leadership. If you go on RCafe, you can see the discussion and proposal that sparked this change/addition. Well, unless you choose to believe that it was an alt account by the RCAF CWO, which would be hilariously Reddit-like to do so.

Yes, it is seen as a "quick win" and trivial, but the sales (albeit only half were given to the stores) seem to me that wearing a ball cap with uniform was something RCAF members wanted, whether they were vocal about it or not. Unlike...another piece of optional RCAF clothing :sneaky:

For what it's worth, the dress instruction changes last year weren't a top down thing either. They were prompted by a BN drafted up by the Defence Women's Advisory Organization.

But yes, obviously force TB to give money isn't an option. Convincing them that if they don't open up the purse strings, we won't have a CAF capable of actually doing any of the things that they expect us to do, however, that should be doable. Because at the rate we're going, that'll be the case in what, 5 years? Maybe 10 if we're lucky.

Personally I like the idea of ball caps. Where and who and in what dress you’re wearing is up to you still serving.

Please wear the damn thing properly please.

For what it's worth, the dress instruction changes last year weren't a top down thing either. They were prompted by a BN drafted up by the Defence Women's Advisory Organization.

But yes, obviously force TB to give money isn't an option. Convincing them that if they don't open up the purse strings, we won't have a CAF capable of actually doing any of the things that they expect us to do, however, that should be doable. Because at the rate we're going, that'll be the case in what, 5 years? Maybe 10 if we're lucky.
I can assure you that TB does not give a rats ass about anyone other than themselves, their policy, procedures and the senior management of government. They don't treat the PS much better than the CAF. Much of what is systematical wrong in the PS and CAF can be attributed to TB.

I can assure you that TB does not give a rats ass about anyone other than themselves, their policy, procedures and the senior management of government. They don't treat the PS much better than the CAF. Much of what is systematical wrong in the PS and CAF can be attributed to TB.

Certainly not going to dispute that. Although I would argue it's a bit more critical for the CAF than for the rest of the various government employees. Out staffing situation is, as far as I can tell, significantly worse, exacerbated by the fact that we, unlike everywhere else, can't just hire a suitable person off the street for any open position, regardless of level.

If we want to hire a mid level engineering manager in the CAF, we need to actually have hired a dozen OCdts more than a decade ago and hope one of them works out.

Certainly not going to dispute that. Although I would argue it's a bit more critical for the CAF than for the rest of the various government employees.
You mean applying the same procurement regulations to a national security apparatus buying weapons systems as you do a Service Canada location buying office furniture is a bad thing?! 😮

The ball caps were not what I would call a quick win. I worked on the file three years ago, and it was a couple of years old by then. Just like on here, there were senior leadership (CWOs, not Generals) who went back and forth about whether it was the way to go or not.

While the RCAF ball cap is nice, I don't think it really met the mark. It was a compromise I believe to get it pushed through.

I would have preferred to see a standard template designed and authorized that units could then add their names to, even if it was on the back.

The other thing I wonder about is how many of the caps will be worn out of uniform, by friends and family, thus blurring the line. Can Navy pers where ships hats in civies?

The other thing I wonder about is how many of the caps will be worn out of uniform, by friends and family, thus blurring the line. Can Navy pers where ships hats in civies?
Yes. Civilians can as well. Ships sell them when they go on port visits.

The RCAF CWO put up a short FAQ on RCafe and one of the answers was that it's an optional bit of kit, so it can be worn in civies. While there is the roundel and lettering at the back, nothing about the cap suggests that the wearer is currently part of the RCAF.

Since it’s a CANEX U-buy, I’d figure it’s like the RCAF leather jacket…wear with uniforms optionally, and fill your boots on civvie side singing Jerry Lee Lewis tunes in a bar off duty…
1686056881091.gif

I don't very often see RCN folks wear their ships cap in civis. Its kind of akin to wearing your BEWs in civis... I mean sure you can, but you look like a dweb.

Ya. Who would do that…

Nervous George Costanza GIF

Speaking of easy to pick out, I remember on basic in St. Jean they had some kind of platoon flag. Don't remember the specifics, but of course somehow it ended up in Montreal with a group of us one weekend on a pub crawl on Church street. We already massively stood out, so I don't think it made it worse, but definitely didn't make it any better.

Awesome for building esprit de corps within the platoon though, as somehow about 30 of us ended up in a vaguely gelatinous mass of bad buzzcuts trying to enjoy every second of freedom from the mega in an exhaustion and alcohol fueled bender. Also ran into a bunch of recruits who thought it was hilarious that a bunch of officer cadets were that dumb.

Glad it was all pre social media and smart phones!

Back