• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Officers Once Again to Wear the Executive Curl

Did they consider reintroducing the old navy's Hash marks instead of a new pin?

Or how about bringing back the Tot for our thirsty Jacks instead?

Lex Parsimoniae said:
Purely speculation at this point but the rumour is...

The SSI will be a metal badge worn above the right pocket of the short sleeve shirt and an embroidered cloth version sewn on the left sleeve of the tunic. The colour of the SSI will indicate the number of years an individual has served at sea (gun metal grey, bronze, silver, and gold).

For those of you on the DIN here is the link for the SSI

http://marcom-comar.mil.ca/cms-cem/cms-files-eng.asp

or for more direct route:

http://marcom-comar.mil.ca/repository/floatfiles/feb/10/RDIMS_189224.doc

No speculation.

Highlights for those that do not have access:

The specifications of the proposed design are as follows:

a. Name. The official name of the insignia will be the, Sea Service Insignia – insignes de service de mer;

b. Description.  The SSI will consist of a stand alone naval crown superimposed in the center of a fouled anchor; the year "1910" will be incorporated onto the stock of the anchor above the crown. As the insignia will be worn on the sleeve of the Air Force and Army tunics, modifications to the original selected design were required (removal of banner);

c. Material.  The insignia will be produced in both metal and cloth. Metal insignia will be worn on the short sleeve shirt and cloth insignia will be worn on the tunic; 

d. Colour.  The insignia will be produced in four colours; gun metal, bronze, silver and gold. Each colour will represent a corresponding level of sea days. In order to achieve a high level of visibility the entire badge will change colour with each appropriate level;

e. Location.  As decided at ref D, the SSI will be worn at the following locations:
(1) Naval tunic – above the nametag;
(2) Air Force/Army tunics – 12 cm from the bottom of the left sleeve, or 1.2 cm above any existing badge or insignia positioned there;
(3) male short sleeve shirt (all environments) – centered on right pocket panel; and
(4) female short sleeve shirt (all environments) – centered on right pocket panel. Should female members have concerns with the location of the insignia, the committee included a caveat to relocate the insignia if required;

It is intented to unveil the Sea Service Insignia during the Battle of the Atlantic Ceremonies to be held in May 2010

how about the Army do one up for Field Time? ;D 

CountDC said:
....how about the Army do one up for Field Time? ;D
Wait for it. With DHH being overwhelmed recently, I've heard there's a bling-petition template being created as we speak  >:D

While I posted "good on ya" for the original Executive Curl, I have no dog in this fight. Never having been a sailor, I have no opinion -- valid, informed, or otherwise -- on navy fashion.

And flying time, nights spent in Holiday Inns...

Journeyman said:
Wait for it. With DHH being overwhelmed recently, I've heard there's a bling-petition template being created as we speak  >:D

While I posted "good on ya" for the original Executive Curl, I have no dog in this fight. Never having been a sailor, I have no opinion -- valid, informed, or otherwise -- on navy fashion.

ahh but it won't just be Navy fashion - para e indicates Army and Air Force with sea time will be wearing them too.

I personally know of a few Cooks, Storesmen and Stewards of various ranks that do have more sea time than your average sailor. And some of them wear the army and air force DEUs.

Congrats to the Navy on the return of Elliot's Eye!  :salute:

Now we just need to introduce a Canadian White Ensign and  bring back the "R" in RCN (and RCAF).  :)

RangerRay said:
Now we just need to introduce a Canadian White Ensign and  bring back the "R" in RCN (and RCAF).  :)

And it would be so easy: The best choice is already in stock. The Naval Jack is a Canadian White Ensign in disguise: Its whiteness connects us to the British tradition of ensigns, while its Canadian Flag in the upper quarter is a clear national identifier and its anchor, styled after the old Marcom badge, connects us to the contribution of the navy to the unified forces within which we now operate. All that needs be done is to reverse the current Ensign and Jack positions. It has the added advantage of putting the real national flag back where it belongs: the Jack, which is the highest honour position in British naval traditions.

Beauty is, for those CFAVs that have a Jack, they already have a "blue" equivalent, so it is also in the system to give them a "Blue Ensign" to steam under.

This is how I would replace the ranks with the Executive Curl:

26193_410422554368_580359368_5063308_4998903_n.jpg

Like the Jamaician Coast Guard's rank of Lieutenant (Junior Grade), I would reverse the bars for the rank of Sub-Lieutenant.
I have never liked the 1/2 bar curl for naval cadets (for the mess uniforms). The half bar with the curl was worn by Warrant Officers during the period of the RCN (according to Lt(N) Arbuckle's book).

26193_410495809368_580359368_5065233_7593330_n.jpg

This just looks butt ugly to me. And this would be worse:
26193_410498899368_580359368_5065341_5292680_n.jpg

Cheers!

Lastly, I was having fun last year, and here are slip ons with the curl:
26193_410770709368_580359368_5072683_5338628_n.jpg

Good Day

I think we should keep the 2inch from the bottom of the sleeve, the ranks that high up the sleeve look awkward to me.

I believe that CTJJ.Stevenson's intent was just to demonstrate the insignia themselves and not the location of the insignia on the cuff.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't really think that there is much more use in guessing at what the new ranks will look like.  We'll find out soon enough, and then we'll all have our opinions about it.

The interesting thing that I've seen from this thread is that there is almost no opposition to this; one of the few times this will happen with regards to a uniform decision, I think.

ekpiper

In the RCN and on current mess kit, the distance from the bottom strip to the bottom of the cuff varies by rank.  This is because the sub-lieutenant's ring is sewn on first and remains in place as new stripes are added when the officer gets promoted.  This makes tailoring easier and avoids having to re-apply the curl each time the rank changes.  Mind you, this only holds true up to commander.  Captains(N) need to have the whole thing re-done.  By that point, they're probably due for a new jacket anyway, especially if they go for a tailcoat with their mess kit. 

I rather like CTTJ.Stevenson's proposal. The SLt rank is sufficiently similar to the current version so as to minimize any confusion in the other services. In addition, as Pusser pointed out, it's the way we do it now on Mess Kit and there seems to be no confusion.

How far out in front of the horse is this particular cart?

Has anyone IN the Navy or in the Naval Officers' Association heard/read anything that would indicate that this (executive curl) is going to happen?

I repeat: It's a nice idea but I suspect some (senior) noses will be out of joint - probably no matter what happens.

I think changing the ensign is a dog that won't hunt.  We need to stay within the realm of the realistic.  I have some fairly reliable intel that the curl is going to happen, but I'm still not holding my breath.  I'll believe it when I see it.

E.R. Campbell said:
How far out in front of the horse is this particular cart?

Has anyone IN the Navy or in the Naval Officers' Association heard/read anything that would indicate that this (executive curl) is going to happen?

I repeat: It's a nice idea but I suspect some (senior) noses will be out of joint - probably no matter what happens.

It is being annouced at Battle of Atlantic Ceremonies in Halifax by Defence Minister McKay. The Navy will start wearing it during the International Fleet Review (Victoria June 9).
I was in contact with the Canex tailor at Naden, she informed me that the material is coming from England. You can order shoulder boards from her right now because she will use the material that she uses for Mess Kit. It's expensive (50.00 for Lt, 70.00 for LCdr).

That price is for Mia's shoulder boards, I assume that the issued ones will be borne by the crown.

Pusser said:
I think changing the ensign is a dog that won't hunt.  We need to stay within the realm of the realistic.  I have some fairly reliable intel that the curl is going to happen, but I'm still not holding my breath.  I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm glad the curl will return. Good for whoever decided, at last.

Re; the flag. As Oldgateboatdriver said there is a white ensign in the form of the Canadian Naval Jack:

ca-jack.gif

Since I know nothing about flags and ensigns and jacks I (obviously) have no idea who decides which goes where. Can some admiral, the admiral, decide or is it some issue that has to be decided by grownups or gnomes in Geneva?

Pusser said:

Well, you know I only said it was something I'd like to see.

Back