• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National crisis: fentanyl & other super-opiate overdoses

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=Brihard]
Some substances - marijuana jumps to the top of the list - are currently illegal and shouldn't be when all factors are reasonably balanced. As I sit here sipping a rum and coke, I see no reason why there ought to be a legal difference between myself, the guy outside having a smoke, or the guy smoking or vaping a bit of weed. I've practically never seen someone become violent when just using marijuana alcohol's another story. Commercial tobacco is much more dangerous from a public health standpoint. If we wiped the slate and went for a fresh start from first principles, tobacco as it's currently packaged and sold in cigarettes probably wouldn't make the cut, or if it did the taxes would be tremendous.
[/quote]
I'm inclined to feel the same way when I think about pot vs alcohol (and being a Whiskey&Coke fan myself).

I came across this article randomly and thought it was pretty interesting and brings up a seldom discussed issue with pot (IMO).
I won't quote from the article because it's a bit of a tangent but it discusses sexual abuse among weed pickers out west. Some of it sounds pretty brutal.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/in-secretive-marijuana-industry-whispers-of-abuse_us_57cefd7ee4b0f831f705be3f

Inspir said:
The problem that we are seeing on the street with Fentalyn (and starting to become more common: Carfentanil) are people who are unknowingly consuming it as it is being mixed with other drugs such as cocaine, meth and in some cases mariguanna. It can literally take a dose the size of a speck of sand of Carfentanil to send you into respiratory arrest if you don't have a tolerance for it.

I would have to disagree with that....the problem is it only takes 2mg of fentanyl to kill you. When the dealers mix it up there is no consistent measure of fentanyl in each dose.

The picture posted shows how much Heroin and Fentanyl is needed to overdose......

Having said that I am sure any other drugs mixed in wont help either.

Cheers
Larry

Attachments

• fenatyl.jpg
    fenatyl.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 388
Thank you to those who have actually contributed substantive content.  Seriously.

Larry Strong said:
I would have to disagree with that....the problem is it only takes 2mg of fentanyl to kill you. When the dealers mix it up there is no consistent measure of fentanyl in each dose.

The picture posted shows how much Heroin and Fentanyl is needed to overdose......

Having said that I am sure any other drugs mixed in wont help either.

Cheers
Larry

I've seen this picture. But I was alluding to Carfentanil not Fentanyl.

Inspir said:
I've seen this picture. But I was alluding to Carfentanil not Fentanyl.

That's 100 times more fatal the Fentanyl.....

Scary

Cheers
Larry

Colin P said:
Plus we have had around 3 first responders have partial OD from coming into contact with it unknowingly.

OBGD, As you will note I said "death by rifle(all types including assault rifles" from either CDC or FBI as I recall.

Fair enough.

I looked them up: The last statistics from both the FBI and CDC are for 2014.

The CDC does not distinguish by type of firearms. It tabulates deaths by firearms from state data only. And in 2014, the total death by firearms was 33,390 (to get the national figure, click on any of the states and it will give total national figures for comparison):

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

As for the FBI, it does distinguish by type, but only keep stats for murders, and in 2014, it tabulated 11,961 murders (so about a third of the death by firearms only), of which 8,124 were by firearms - including 248 by rifle and 1959 by undisclosed type of gun.

The FBI site does not permit copying of the URL, just input the following research terms in your browser: "FBI | US Murders by Weapon Type"

But it leads me to a last point: What is the point of selecting this specific figure for your post? What are you trying to prove? That the fentanyl crisis is that important, or that Americans prefer to use handguns to commit their murders or commit suicide?

Journeyman said:
If the OP wanted to note any  sort of relevance for a military-related site, he could have mentioned that the Russians used aerosol opioids to take out the Chechen terrorists during the 2002 Moscow theater crisis.  Clutching at straws, but still better than tossing "3 Winnipeg druggies OD'd" out there.

Just a thought but perhaps the "pushers" need to be charged with murder - knowingly selling/giving someone a lethal substance....just a thought.

ballz said:
Do you think someone who has done no harm to any other human being should be imprisoned and have their life ruined? You mention drug traffickers, but we lock people up simply for *possessing* drugs. You can't call something a health problem and then claim to treat people for it by throwing them in jail and actually making the health problem worse. I also think its immoral to lock someone up for consenting adults participating in private exchange, but let's just talk about mere possession for now.

*A different point which I don't wish to explore tonight, but the idea that certain recreational drug use is okay but others deserve to thrown in jail for it is logically inconsistent and terrifying that you think its up to you to decide for others.

This is the only point of your rebuttal that I will concede. I think it is an incredible waste of manpower and money to incarcerate folks for possession. Lock up the dealers. Yes, it's more work, but it's a better use of tax dollars IMHO as it ultimately benefits a greater number of people. The knock on effect might be a rise in the price of drugs, but that is equally one of the problems. If one accepts that cheap drugs + accessibility = increased use, then the reverse must be true as well.

In closing, I'm prepared to consider that perhaps greater use might not be a result of legalization, however I still think that we would see more fatal overdoses among those that serially overdose on prescription meds.

Let us see; if you are high, angered, etc., while in possession of firearms on these drugs, considered somewhat problematic; you might intentionally go off the rails. 6 months ago nailed with Bell’s Palsy stg 5, still under its spell, although recovered ca 70%, the narcotics first prescribed were only for a short period, one for 15 days, other two for 30 days; and No refills. That stuff gives U uncontrollable highs, lows, easily irritated, angered, etc., not counting the hot sweats, and side affects. 

Heard without confirmation ca 2007 chatter, CF conducted incognito field studies on use of opioids by soldiers, concluding too many for an over extended period of time were prescribed. I’ve read recent US Army studies which are an eye opener.

Carfentanil is an S II Narcotic control substance, one of the top guns, while China considered one of the biggest exporters.

From the associated press on Carfentanil, published on: October 7, 2016: China's unregulated narcotic a chemical weapon.
By Erika Kinetz And Desmond Butler.

SHANGHAI — For a few thousand dollars, Chinese companies offer to export a powerful chemical that has been killing unsuspecting drug users and is so lethal that it presents a potential terrorism threat, an Associated Press investigation has found. The AP identified 12 Chinese businesses that said they would export the chemical — a synthetic opioid known as carfentanil — to the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Belgium and Australia for as little as $2,750 a kilogram, no questions asked. Carfentanil burst into view this summer, the latest scourge in an epidemic of opioid abuse that has killed tens of thousands of people in the United States alone. Dealers have been cutting carfentanil and its weaker cousin, fentanyl, into heroin and other illicit drugs to boost profit margins. http://calgaryherald.com/news/world/carfentanil-chinas-unregulated-narcotic-a-chemical-weapon

Chinese trade of deadly opioid carfentanil thrives at the cost of North American lives.
SHANGHAI –
Seizures of the deadly chemical carfentanil have exploded across the United States, with more than 400 cases documented in eight states since July alone, The Associated Press has found.

This fall, the drug also began to appear in Canada. It’s been seized in several provinces and last month health officials said the illicit opioid was linked to two deaths in Alberta.

What is carfentanil and why is it easy to obtain?
Fuelled by a thriving trade out of China, the weapons-grade chemical is suspected in hundreds of drug overdoses in the U.S. and Canada. An AP investigation last month showed how easily carfentanil can be purchased online from China.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3043678/chinese-trade-of-deadly-opioid-carfentanil-thrives-at-the-cost-of-north-american-lives/

Warning: Opioid for elephants hittings Ohio.

Beware of a new deadly drug, an analgesic used for elephants, which has been spotted in Greater Cincinnati: The Hamilton County Heroin Coalition warned Friday of the powerful opioid carfentanil, which has been identified in local supplies of heroin. The synthetic opioid is 100 times stronger than fentanyl, the analgesic blamed for increasing overdose deaths and 10,000 times stronger than morphine on the streets………..

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/07/15/warning-opioid-elephants-hitting-ohio-streets/87130300/

Military prevalence, Daesh, etc., uses opioids as energy boosters, etc.

Millions of opioid painkillers destined for ISIS intercepted at Piraeus port

An inspection at the Piraeus port's container terminal carried out by officers of the Greek Financial Crimes Squad’s narcotics unit and a team of US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents led to the discovery of a container carrying 26 million Tramadol prescription opioid painkillers.

Reports suggested the container arrived at Pireaus on May 10 from India, while its final destination was a Libyan company allegedly tied to ISIS jihadists.

The container's cargo had been declared as towels and tablecloths. A similar container carrying opioid painkillers and destined to the same company in Libya was confiscated by authorities in Dubai last February.

According to reports, pain relievers such as Tramadol and Captagon, are broadly used by members of ISIS as energy boosters.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/209293/article/ekathimerini/news/millions-of-opioid-painkillers-destined-for-isis-intercepted-at-piraeus-port

P.S. Only post I can muster for today my allotted time in front of the screen is winding down....

C.U.

Not a lot of people in Canada are getting jail time for simple possession, and when they do it's not very much. What I HAVE seen on a number of occcasions is where possession for the purpose of trafficking charges will get knocked down to simple possession on a plea deal. I caught one guy with a quarter ounce of crack in two big chunks, wrapped in a single baggie. He'd gotten it that way for the cook, and was dealing it. Known drug dealer. Crown made a plea deal and he ate the straight possession charge rather than push PPT to trial. This happens a lot due to an overburdened court system. But we are not like some places in the states where police are gung ho to lay charges in simple possession cases. It happens, yes, but usually when it's one more charge to lay on top of an overnight festival of stupidity that ends in the back of a cop car, or where a possession charge is a means to control a prolific offender for the next little while. Typically the courts are not very punitive on simple possession. If I arrest a guy for beating his wife, *and* he has cocaine in his pocket, yes I'll lay the bonus charge. But usually

There was mention earlier of Portugal by ballz. Portugal is a good example of how to do things. They have decriminalized possession, but not legalized it. A whole host of sanctions can be applied depending on what fits the circumstances. Professional licensed can be revoked, other court ordered conditions can be imposed, treatment cn be mandated... But it's not punitive in intent, it's intended to make recreational drug use suck, and to route addicts to appropriate care. Note that trafficking is still completely criminalized and is prosecuted.

At no point in this thread have I suggested that a punitive approach to addicts and to simple 'personal use' possession is the right way to do things. I have pointed out the harms that these substances inherently cause due to the stupid and dangerous things people will do while on them and to get them. Ballz- you neatly skipped entirely the relevant point I made that these are not substances that would be allowed for marketing and consumption outside of clinical settings anyway. We would no more allow these to be sold uncontrolled than we would allow the bulk import of melamine-laced milk from China. The concept of legalizaton of 'hard'/synthetic drugs is a paper fiction that fails any real analysis. Decriminalize personal use possession, absolutely. Take a public health approach to users. But don't let up on those who are trafficking this deadly, toxic, addictive stuff, and deliberately getting people hooked on it. We don't need to allow or tolerate the illicit market in hard drugs just because it's a constant uphill battle.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Fair enough.

I looked them up: The last statistics from both the FBI and CDC are for 2014.

The CDC does not distinguish by type of firearms. It tabulates deaths by firearms from state data only. And in 2014, the total death by firearms was 33,390 (to get the national figure, click on any of the states and it will give total national figures for comparison):

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

As for the FBI, it does distinguish by type, but only keep stats for murders, and in 2014, it tabulated 11,961 murders (so about a third of the death by firearms only), of which 8,124 were by firearms - including 248 by rifle and 1959 by undisclosed type of gun.

The FBI site does not permit copying of the URL, just input the following research terms in your browser: "FBI | US Murders by Weapon Type"

But it leads me to a last point: What is the point of selecting this specific figure for your post? What are you trying to prove? That the fentanyl crisis is that important, or that Americans prefer to use handguns to commit their murders or commit suicide?

There was/is was much gnashing of teeth about the US having access to "assault rifles" in the US (and the same is currently being done here) and how bad that makes them. But clearly the threat of these drugs and other synthetics is far far more serious than perceived gun issue. I also don't see the same level of public shaming that goes on for smoking that should also be applied to recreational drugs. When was the last radio ad did you hear talking about the dangers or recreational drugs? 

Hamish Seggie said:
Just a thought but perhaps the "pushers" need to be charged with murder - knowingly selling/giving someone a lethal substance....just a thought.

Devil's advocate here.  So by that same token, if someone sells someone a gun and they commit suicide or murder, should the seller be charged as an accessory?  (Yeah, I know, probably apples and oranges, but therein lies the slippery slope).

Legal or not, an addict is going to take what they can to get high, regardless of the risk.

Brihard said:
Not a lot of people in Canada are getting jail time for simple possession, and when they do it's not very much. What I HAVE seen on a number of occcasions is where possession for the purpose of trafficking charges will get knocked down to simple possession on a plea deal. I caught one guy with a quarter ounce of crack in two big chunks, wrapped in a single baggie. He'd gotten it that way for the cook, and was dealing it. Known drug dealer. Crown made a plea deal and he ate the straight possession charge rather than push PPT to trial. This happens a lot due to an overburdened court system. But we are not like some places in the states where police are gung ho to lay charges in simple possession cases. It happens, yes, but usually when it's one more charge to lay on top of an overnight festival of stupidity that ends in the back of a cop car, or where a possession charge is a means to control a prolific offender for the next little while. Typically the courts are not very punitive on simple possession. If I arrest a guy for beating his wife, *and* he has cocaine in his pocket, yes I'll lay the bonus charge. But usually

I have never and never will concede that things that I don't believe should be illegal should remain illegal, just to make it easier for the police to put them away for the other things that they can't prove. I hear this argument from law enforcement a lot, and quite frankly, it is very face-palm worthy. "Well if possession wasn't a crime, we couldn't put the known traffickers away when we know they are trafficking but can't prove it!" Not that I think drug trafficking should be illegal either, but that argument for possession laws will never get support from me. We might as well make wearing shoes illegal, and then when the cops know someone is up to no good but can't prove it, they can just charge him for wearing shoes instead.

Brihard said:
Ballz- you neatly skipped entirely the relevant point I made that these are not substances that would be allowed for marketing and consumption outside of clinical settings anyway. We would no more allow these to be sold uncontrolled than we would allow the bulk import of melamine-laced milk from China. The concept of legalizaton of 'hard'/synthetic drugs is a paper fiction that fails any real analysis. Decriminalize personal use possession, absolutely. Take a public health approach to users. But don't let up on those who are trafficking this deadly, toxic, addictive stuff, and deliberately getting people hooked on it. We don't need to allow or tolerate the illicit market in hard drugs just because it's a constant uphill battle.

I am not skipping that. That is the problem I am speaking of. That we cannot fathom a world without the government trying (and failing) to solve these problems despite the fact that the government caused them. The government is the *reason* that "those who are trafficking this deadly, toxic, addictive stuff, and deliberately getting people hooked on it" actually have a successful business model.... in a free market, they wouldn't stand a chance.

Legalize it and then see how long that business model holds up... "I can go to this store front and buy marijuana or cocaine from a reputable person whom has a track record of selling clean products that nobody OD's on... or I can go buy it around the corner from that guy with his hood up that people bought from last week and now they're dead and he is up on legit charges of fraud / negligence causing death as is now plastered all over the news."

We *created* the illicit market and as long as we think we're going to stop people from doing drugs through the use of violent coercion, we'll continue to have one.

Narcotics have been around since ancient times. Only in recent times has the government been so involved in stopping it, and more money and resources are now spent on fighting it than ever before.... However, more people die today from overdose than ever before.... Now I know correlation doesn't always mean causation, but come on.... there is a very clear logical path from narcotics being made illegal to what we have now where we have some of the most toxic substances to ever exist in the hands of some of the worst people finding victims around every corner.

Brihard said:
There was mention earlier of Portugal by ballz. Portugal is a good example of how to do things. They have decriminalized possession, but not legalized it. A whole host of sanctions can be applied depending on what fits the circumstances. Professional licensed can be revoked, other court ordered conditions can be imposed, treatment cn be mandated... But it's not punitive in intent, it's intended to make recreational drug use suck, and to route addicts to appropriate care. Note that trafficking is still completely criminalized and is prosecuted.

Portugal is a good example of a step in the right direction, but a few more steps would help.

ModlrMike said:
This is the only point of your rebuttal that I will concede. I think it is an incredible waste of manpower and money to incarcerate folks for possession. Lock up the dealers. Yes, it's more work, but it's a better use of tax dollars IMHO as it ultimately benefits a greater number of people. The knock on effect might be a rise in the price of drugs, but that is equally one of the problems. If one accepts that cheap drugs + accessibility = increased use, then the reverse must be true as well.

In closing, I'm prepared to consider that perhaps greater use might not be a result of legalization, however I still think that we would see more fatal overdoses among those that serially overdose on prescription meds.

I think we would see a lot less.... I think you'd see an end to drugs being laced with other drugs, which seems to be the fentanyl issue... and I think you'd see an end of taking something like cocaine and turning it into crack, which was always a huge issue... and I think you'd see the end of things like meth labs where people are trying to create methamphetamines from chemicals under the kitchen sink due to how expensive cocaine is (it's expensive because its a black market).

In other words, while increased price of cocaine may mean less cocaine use... for those addicted, it doesn't mean using methamphetamines less, it just means finding cheaper substitutes or committing crimes to get the money, or both....

PMedMoe said:
Devil's advocate here.  So by that same token, if someone sells someone a gun and they commit suicide or murder, should the seller be charged as an accessory?  (Yeah, I know, probably apples and oranges, but therein lies the slippery slope).

Legal or not, an addict is going to take what they can to get high, regardless of the risk.

I think the appropriate way to deal with someone that sells something but knows they are masking the truth about the item is to charge them with fraud and/or criminal negligence causing death if that's what is called for. If narcotics were legal you could probably have a legit crime to the effect of "causing death through fraudulent activity."

This would not be an issue with firearm dealers.

PMedMoe said:

Not quite the same argument. If you wanted to argue it correctly, someone sells you a gun they know is broken and when you go to shoot it, the firearm blows up in your face due to the undisclosed defect.

The gun shooting and killing someone isn't actually the sellers fault, technically the firearm is functioning properly (it is then the operators fault), just the same as if you were buying cocaine and you snorted it up and didn't die, in that case the drug is functioning properly (as opposed to the fentanyl laced drugs).

PMedMoe said:

Addicts I can understand taking the risk, the couple near us that OD and died leaving behind a toddler were recreational users. There is is no real targeting of these recreational users that I am seeing and I suspect they likely make up a the more significant slice of the market.

PMedMoe said:
Devil's advocate here.  So by that same token, if someone sells someone a gun and they commit suicide or murder, should the seller be charged as an accessory?

Ancient cultures around the world used drugs in battle too motivate troops or in religious ceremonies. The opium wars’ with Britannia’s incursion into China, with 80% of the population hooked, the “British Shop Keepers” black market flourished, while artefacts were stolen and sold in trade for opium, that’s not counting the British looting. Prevalent use of alcohol, light, heavy drugs during the Nam war by the US, and VC/NVA, although even pre French some of the Vietnamese population were opium addicts. 

True an addict especially on jazz = heroin; the first priority for junkie’s, is getting a hit whatever the risk, even robbing their parents, etc., as previously stated on this thread.

In the USA it depends on state, considering U have the gun show loop-whole, even in Canada any gun-show, online, with my FAC I can buy or sell restricted or non privately. I sell my rifle, buyer shows his FAC both take info, few days latter goes all wacko, and I’m dragged through court for selling, highly likely, no law in Canada. However, criminal charges would apply if I sold a firearm, knowing a crime would be committed with it or individuals without a FAC.

In the US depending on state, you need a driver’s licence, background check when purchasing from registered gun dealers. Say seller receives a green light; buyer few days later kills many, why would it be the seller’s responsibility, in fact he did he’s due diligence as required by law? 

C.U.

Colin P said:
Addicts I can understand taking the risk, the couple near us that OD and died leaving behind a toddler were recreational users. There is is no real targeting of these recreational users that I am seeing and I suspect they likely make up a the more significant slice of the market.

"Recreational" users of opiates?  Sorry...they're still addicts, IMO.

PMedMoe said:
"Recreational" users of opiates?  Sorry...they're still addicts, IMO.

Once you've reached that point, recreational use is highly likely.......

C.U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back