• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JTF-2/Airborne destined for land north of Trenton?

Vern.... might suggest to the Tim Horton planners to have their drive thru window's roof clearance high enough to clear an MLVW.... I remember seeing the eaves being torn off the one in the Valcartier Canex shopping centre getting torn off.....

If I remember the conversion factor correctly, 1 km sq = 100 hectares.  So the land quoted in the article is roughly 4 km sq.  Not a huge amount of land.

geo said:
Then there's the CH47 Chinooks that will be coming down the pipe. 

Those are not designated to be based in Trenton.

Then there will be the CC130Js that'll come in at some time in the future, etc, etc, etc......

Not all CC-130s are based in Trenton.

ArmyVern said:
Well hey, there's a new one going up in these parts nice & close to the front gate.

I ask one thing --

Can ALL the people with the long lists for courses make sure that they use this one??

Then I'll go to one of the other 3 ...  >:D

The one by Sobeys is the better one.  ;D

Shared with the usual disclaimer.....

Airborne may drop in Trenton
Luke Hendry, Belleville Intelligencer, 17 Jan 08
Article link

The plan to establish an airborne infantry unit in Trenton has taken a major step forward due to the purchase of a key piece of land north of CFB Trenton, officials announced Wednesday.

"We closed the sale on the purchase of the third property (Tuesday)," said Meeta Bhimani, communications director for Public Works and Government Services Canada.

The ministry is handling land purchases on behalf of the Department of National Defence (DND).

"It's about 305 acres," she said of the new land. "We're continuing negotiations with the other properties."

To date, the government has bought a total of about 130 hectares (320 acres).

Officials have told The Intelligencer the DND wants about 401 hectares as part of a plan to expand the base, though it will settle for about 220 hectares.

Northumberland-Quinte West MP Rick Norlock was quick to trumpet the sale as "the major purchase" in the federal quest for land.

"The major piece of property, sort of the linchpin of the purchases, was finalized at the beginning of this week," said Norlock. "That sort of paves the way for more concrete planning on the part of the (defence) department."

Norlock also confirmed the government's intent for the land.

"I have said from Day 1 that we intend to deliver an additional 650 people, an airborne unit, to CFB Trenton, and this is one of the big steps along the way to making that happen," Norlock said. "We'll have to wait and see about the timelines."

It has long been a promise of the Conservative government to establish an airborne infantry unit in Trenton. And while the Tories have followed through with other promises affecting the base - two new air transport fleets, $400 million in infrastructure development and funding for the neighbouring National Air Force Museum of Canada - the airborne issue has appeared to be in limbo.

Defence staff have refused to comment on why the department needs the land, saying only that it is for "expansion of CFB Trenton."

It has been reported that instead of creating a new airborne unit the Tories would instead move Canada's Joint Task Force 2 special forces unit to Trenton. Norlock, though, said he was not allowed to comment on details of the coming unit.

"I can't confirm that," he said.

In the meantime, the latest land purchase means that after months without acquiring much land, the government is now far closer to its minimum requirement of 220 hectares.

"That's great news as far as I'm concerned - great news for the city and great news for the whole area," said Quinte West Mayor John Williams.

He said city staff have fielded recent DND inquiries about municipal services such as sewer and water in the area.

"It tells me they're starting to crank it up," he said of the proposed expansion.

"Indications are it's going to be quite an expansion - probably more people and more construction," said Williams, adding it's particularly good for an area suffering economic problems.

"It's nice to be in an area where you have this type of thing happening, and we're fortunate," he said. "That again is a huge indication how much investment the government is going to put into this base and this area.

"The area has always been extremely supportive of the base," he said. "Maybe that has something to do with it (the expansion). We've always had good relationships, which I think speaks well of the community. I think people realize how much that means; it makes sense to do this here."

Staff at National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa, meanwhile, said no interviews on the subject could be granted Wednesday.

Well I live in Trenton  and would welcome the move of the new unit .  Does any one have any ideas what the unit would be with out breaking any op sec I have heard rumours about JTF or CSOR but there just rumours  . 

Karl,
To ramp up a new unit, the forces need to find 650-750 warm bodies...
Of these warm bodies, it is necessary to that a good portion of these men & women have to be Leaders - both Officers and NCOs.

All three regiments / all 9 battalions are challenged as it is to maintain full strength.... so a new battalion in Trenton is a pipe dream.

Do we steal an Airborne coy from each regiment & create something that will look and feel like the old Canadian Airborne Regiment?
If we do that, we aren't doing the Infantry regiments any favours - are we?

Do we move take a unit that already exists, has mobility as part of their mandate.....

You tell me?

geo said:
Karl,
To ramp up a new unit, the forces need to find 650-750 warm bodies...
Of these warm bodies, it is necessary to that a good portion of these men & women have to be Leaders - both Officers and NCOs.

All three regiments / all 9 battalions are challenged as it is to maintain full strength.... so a new battalion in Trenton is a pipe dream.

Do we steal an Airborne coy from each regiment & create something that will look and feel like the old Canadian Airborne Regiment?
If we do that, we aren't doing the Infantry regiments any favours - are we?

Do we move take a unit that already exists, has mobility as part of their mandate.....

You tell me?

That's just a very small part of the big picture, and there is breathing room to start sorting that out.

Before they move there, there will be years of assessments and approvals. Design, tenders and quotes. Building of systems infrastucture and above ground construction.

No large formation is moving there, anywhere in the foreseeable future, to a turn key operation. At least not onto that parcel.

you got it recceguy....

I was alluding to the same thing.... going at it thru the back door... but headed in the same direction.

From what I hear around the water cooler, NDHQ is moving to Trenton ::)

karl28 said:
Does any one have any ideas what the unit would be ... I have heard rumours about JTF or CSOR but there just rumours.   
Rumours: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/56849.0/all.html

Yeah IMO this land will more than likely be land set aside for the pending arrival of JTF 2 and possibly other infrastructure upgrades to support the C-17s and such.

MCG  and Geo

Thanks for the link  and info . 

And maybe a CC-177 hangar?
http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=862377&auth=Ernst+Kuglin

The eye-popping numbers in federal dollars pouring into CFB Trenton may not have ended with announcements this week of major land sales and the purchase of new transport planes.

Two major projects with a combined construction value estimated at $367 million were posted Thursday on Public Works Canada procurement website, known as MERX, by Defence Construction Canada.

According to the tender calls, the government is asking for "expressions of interest" for the construction of a $156-million maintenance hangar at CFB Trenton.

Deadline for submissions has been posted from Jan. 22 to Feb. 5.

A second expression of interest posted by Defence Construction Canada calls for a multi-functional training and administrative campus worth an estimated $220 million. The expression of interest does not specify CFB Trenton, but states 'eastern Ontario,' according to the MERX website.

Defence spokeswoman Maria Drake said in an interview she could not pinpoint any specific region or location in eastern Ontario.

The submission deadline has been posted for Jan. 23-24

It's believed the training campus will be constructed on the 305 acres purchased by the federal government to the north of CFB Trenton and confirmed this past week.

There's also speculation it will be home to the Joint Task Force 2 special forces unit. Defence department officials declined to comment on the possibility, but military analysts have said Trenton is the logical home for a new base for JTF 2 owing to the rapid deployment capability that comes with the air base adjacent to the camp...

Mark
Ottawa

I would not be surprised if it for a golf course, with everything that is planned for the base (around the runway) rumor is that they will have to close or move the golf course that is there now. It may sound stupid but it is a air force base after all. ;D

Heh.... I guess Base defence exercises at CFB Trenton will get interesting over the next couple of years....

One has to wonder if it would not just be easier to move all Operational CANASOF units to the same base.....

Indeed, Haggis. 

Folks, on topic, please.  Move and construction, etc...

The Milnet.ca Staff

Oh my god the local Trenton news was actually right for once .  Now I am so very afraid  ;D

Back