• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JTF-2/Airborne destined for land north of Trenton?

Run away gun said:
Well what I was eluding to is building an airstrip down at 427, a permenant tarmac, so that deploying units did not have to drive the 1+ hour to Ottawa airport. Seeing as how pers are always leaving from Petawawa for training exercises all over the country and deployments all over the world it would make sense.

Not when you factor in the costs of construction and maintenance of runway, taxiways, passenger terminal, and other facilities mentioned, and all for very limited use.

The grass strip on the Mattawa exists as an "austere" landing strip for training Herc crews. It can stand one, or perhaps two, touch-and-goes by aircraft with no loads and then needs a rest for a few weeks as the surface will break up. It is only useable when dry. I had to investigate an incident somewhere in 1990 or 1991 when I was G3 Aviation/Base Flight Safety Officer after six Hercs in a row did touch-and-goes one night. One or two of them were rather significantly loaded and caused sizeable ruts. The final one caught the ruts and almost went sideways off of the runway but managed to stagger back into the air and return to Trenton with some minor damage. Note that this was at night, and there is no fancy lighting on the Mattawa; I can only imagine how long it took for heartrates to return to normal.

The grass strips in Petawawa and Gagetown were built for L19s used for Air OP in the pre-Kiowa days.

Should it ever be decided that traffic would warrant a full-blown facility capable of handling C17s and/or Airbi, then enlarging Pembroke would be the more sensible option - except to the landowners on either end of the current runway - and "more sensible option" is only marginally so. Neither would be worth the cost.

Run away gun said:
Well what I was eluding to is building an airstrip down at 427, a permenant tarmac,

Theres more to it than just building a strip of concrete 8-10000 feet long.

You mean this one?

birddog.jpg

Cessna L-19 Bird Dog

Yup.

They look better in green, though.

Note the "ARMY" on the side.

When I'm MND in a few years, you'll be seeing that again.

Loachman said:
Yup.

They look better in green, though.

Note the "ARMY" on the side.

When I'm MND in a few years, you'll be seeing that again.

L 19's ?        >:D

Yes, but, being seldom satisfied, it's post-1968 and no longer "ARMY".

And that's a Voyageur on the ramp.

but it doesn't stop the numpties from doing it

Well well, that is what our Air Force brethren call us is it? Those numpties happen to be out there training on a regular basis and are not going to let a POS never used and grown over airstrip get in their way.

kincanucks said:
Well well, that is what our Air Force brethren call us is it?

I apologize for my fellow Air Force member and her comments. We know that no one in the army would resort to calling anyone in the other services by such names.

NFLD Sapper, you almost get full marks...but that pic is post-1968, as you can tell by the "Forces armees canadiennes" on the L-19's door...it's no longer an Army airplane.  It has to be between 68 and 76 when the Chinooks replaced the Voyageur.  Perhaps the build date of 3 Hgr (not yet built here) could further nail down the timeframe of the picture?

G2G

Good2Golf said:
NFLD Sapper, you almost get full marks...but that pic is post-1968, as you can tell by the "Forces armees canadiennes" on the L-19's door...it's no longer an Army airplane.  It has to be between 68 and 76 when the Chinooks replaced the Voyageur.  Perhaps the build date of 3 Hgr (not yet built here) could further nail down the timeframe of the picture?

Given that there's nothing on the ramp besides the Voyageur, and the L19 is flying, I'd say that the heliport is pretty much brand new and the Kiowas and Twin Hueys have not yet moved in. The clutter of smaller buildings, including some "temporary ones", that accumulated behind and to the left of the hangar (the old Log [then Adm] Sp Flt building, Met shack, Observers' hovel etcetera) is not there in the photo yet either.

The lack of 3 Hangar doesn't help, as it was built after the Twin Hueys left.

I took the pics from the airforce page but they have no info on when or where it was taken  :-\

I should have looked at the photo more closely - there is a Kiowa on the ramp.

My first visit to Petawawa was in 1973. I didn't see any L19s flying then.

I'd say 1972.

kincanucks said:
but it doesn't stop the numpties from doing it

Well well, that is what our Air Force brethren call us is it? Those numpties happen to be out there training on a regular basis and are not going to let a POS never used and grown over airstrip get in their way.

Oh, that was you was it?  ;D

Good2Golf said:

G2G

Would this be the same plane?

CF-TGC

Cessna

L-19

Birddog

Model 305A

first date: 11 April 1973 - Transferred  to Air Cadet League, registered as CF-TGC

Built in 1953.  Ex Canadian Army 16705, ex CF 119705 (which see).  First registered as CF-TGC on 5 September 1974, became C-FTGC by 1976.  Based in St. Hubert, PQ, when latest Certificate of Registration was issued on 15 April 2003.

http://www.ody.ca/~bwalker/rcac_powered.html

muffin

muffin said:
Would this be the same plane?

CF-TGC

Cessna

L-19

Birddog

Model 305A

first date: 11 April 1973 - Transferred  to Air Cadet League, registered as CF-TGC

Built in 1953.  Ex Canadian Army 16705, ex CF 119705 (which see).   First registered as CF-TGC on 5 September 1974, became C-FTGC by 1976.  Based in St. Hubert, PQ, when latest Certificate of Registration was issued on 15 April 2003.

http://www.ody.ca/~bwalker/rcac_powered.html

muffin

Are you suggesting that there will be a JTF 2 cadet corps

... in the Air Cadets?

I'm sorry, Mods, I couldn't resist  :-*

E.R. Campbell said:
Are you suggesting that there will be a JTF 2 cadet corps

... in the Air Cadets?

I'm sorry, Mods, I couldn't resist  :-*

And so begins another "JTF-2 thread death spiral".

Back