• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Do You (or Did You) Decide on Your Career Path?

Nope, in base 16 it's $36     :p

Heh, sorry, I'm just being an *** now.    ;)

Edit: You made me curious, and I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Answer_to_Life,_the_Universe,_and_Everything

Do yourself a favour and read the book(s). You won't regret it.

Hmmm ... it's been a while since I was in math class, but ...

As my signature says, 42 is the meaning of life
(and "what do you get when you multipy 6 by 9" is the question).

... but it is when you multiply it in base 16 or something like that.  
I think it represents the absurdity of searching for a fixed answer for life.

6 x 9 in base 10 = 54 (i.e. 5 x 10 + 4)
In base 16 it's actually 36, not 42 (i.e. 3 x 16 + 6)

(corrections made after I realised I was more than half asleep this morning ...)

Sorry, its 42 in base 13.  I got the dvd of the tv series from the library and I'm watching the special features and they said base 13.  But read the books before you see the movie.  They are actually coming out with a new movie that should be coming out in the next few years.  But the books are genius.  Read them.

Yeah, I've been hearing good things about them, I should pick them up sometime.
But for now I've just started reading a book that's been waiting on my shelf for the past little while when I was on course...

I heard the food was really good and that it was all you can eat?

Whoa, someone replying to the original question.  I guess we got a little sidetracked.  So I guess back to the real question, not the meaning of life, but Why did you want to join the army?

Nate M said:
but Why did you want to join the army?
aside from everything that has been said already (giving something back to your country, helping people, not the normal 9- job, ect) I want to join for excitement, new skills, teamwork, self-confidence, and knowing that I would be in a position to help people if something bad were to happen and our country or even another needed assistance.

I agree. It's all about the cold IMP breakfast in the morning.... Fit for a king!!  :blotto:

Seriously, though, for me it was the chance to travel - both inside and outside - was a big draw. Always wanted to go overseas...

Well, since both parents were airforce, I had to do SOMETHING to erase the stain on my family's honour.    ;D

Hi Mom!   (Mom stops in from time to time)

I wanted to do something different than the 1800 useless eaters that go to my school (I'm one of two out of about 1800 that has chosen the Canadian Forces at my school which is not very promising). I kind of get sick of those born in Canada that call themselves Canadian but don't know jack s*** about their country and simply mooch off of the social programmes and don't give anything back. Heck I believe a landed immigrant that chooses to defend this country is more Canadian than those slobs and politicians that have never even had to shine a pair of boots in they're useless lives. I've also been fortunate enough to have had an uncle who was an RCEME that, even in death still continues to influence my life.

Here here.

I joined because I  love to travel and to do something that isn't repetitive and boring, and being in the service makes you feel kind of special inside, or something, and plus I love my Canada.  :cdn:

Regardless of education level, real life experience, friends, family, peer pressure, social life and all other possible stimuli or negative responses. Something has called us all to want to join or join some part of the military. Has it always been a "calling" for you and you knew since you were a child you wanted to be in the military? Or did you grow up as a "military brat"? What motivated you to join the military?

For me, it's been a life-long calling. Since I was a kid I always knew I wanted to be a police man or an "army dude". Joined reserves, trying for police as primary job. I wasn't one of those people that said "I don't really know what I want to do!"... Like so many young people these days!

What's your reason for joining up?

Cheers to all of us in and also all of us waiting!
:cdn:

I was looking for something to get involved in when I was 13, but Boy Scouts didn't really appeal. My dad's boss was from a family that had a long association with the Lorne Scots, so he suggested I try Army Cadets. My grandfather had been the Chaplain of the Second (Reserve) battalion of the Lorne Scots, so there was a bit of history there, too. At age 13 I enrolled in 2866(Lorne Scots) RCACC, parading in the Thomas St Armoury in Oakville. After a few years in that, I quit, but as soon as I quit I felt like something was "missing. I realized that I had grown to love the military aspects of life in Cadets. About a year later I joined the Army Reserve (Royal Regiment of Canada, Fort York Armoury, Toronto) and never looked back. I spent eight years in the Reserve then transferred to the Regular Army. Cheers.

I decided I wanted to be part of the CF at the beginning of my senior year of highschool when I was looking at all my career options. I wanted to do something that would make a difference and CF was the answer.

I suppose for some people it's almost addictive. Same thing, when I was a kid I quit army cadets, then realized how much I enjoyed it so I joined back up with air cadets (I moved towns, was only local cadets). I wanted to do something with purpose/meaning also.

I never questioned why I liked the military when I was young until a few years back. Always knew it was just what I wanted to do. Then I started thinking things over and decided I'd try to land a job as a cop first, if I can't get in there I'll try for MP in the reg force and then regular infantry as second choice. I'll be extremely happy with any of those jobs though to say the least!

I would LOVE to be an unarmed combat instructor also, but hey, can't have everything in life right? We'll see!

:warstory:

It's always interesting to hear about people who have the same interests or issues that I do. I mean, imagine my shock when I found out I wasn't the only one who had to pay bills......
I also plan on becoming a police officer and continue with the reserves part-time.
AL

The recruiter said I would meet girls.

He forgot to tell me I'd still be ugly.... :crybaby:

I was 5 when i told my dad i wanted to be a soldier.  He was an infantryman and served in Germany ( where i was born).  I never questioned why i wanted to join up, just knew my entire life that it was what i was going to do.  I always wanted to be in the air force but when i turned 17 all that was open was the combat arms so i went for it.  11 years later i finaly get to fly.

Point is, i never imagined myself doing anything else.  For me it was definately a calling.

For starters, I'm a Base Brat, so I guess the environment was always there.  The one thing that I do remember, and I have no reason why, is an old army recruiting pamphlet that I received (and kept for many years after).  My Dad took myself and my best friend out of school (with his parents permission, of course), to attend the Armed Forces Day held at CFS Beausejour, MB.  Even though it was my first introduction to the awe-inspiring Snowbirds and Skyhawks, that pamphlet just seemed to stand out.  I still remember that there was a soldier, equipped with FFO, standing in an empty field.  The theme of the pamphlet eluded to this fact and stated something to the effect, "When you think you are alone..." Then you open the pamphlet and there were many soldiers in the background and some sort of armoured vehicle, "You are never alone!"  Now, it's been many years, so don't quote me on the pamphlet, but somehow that memory always stayed with me.

When I got to grade 10, I joined the Communication Reserves for some exposure to the CAF (as we were known, then).  This gave me an idea of the path I was to take.  I graduated from grade 12, and always wanted to be a Fire Fighter.  Seems how, in the Ottawa area, you required 20/20 vision to be a Fire Fighter at that time, my huge Coke bottles told me to find another profession.  Fearing that school did not prepare me for the real world, I avoided my fears (chickened out :() and took a Class "B" position at NDHQ Export CommCen.  This exposure to the Regular Force environment, on top of working with some excellent people, and the fact that Fire Fighter was now open (and didn't require 20/20 vision)...caused me to visit the CFRC.  Low and behold, a day and a half after my final interview, I received a call to become a Fire Fighter.  WOOHOO! ;D  

My career has taken many turns, and ups and downs, but to those who may be sitting on the fence, not knowing what to do, I wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again :warstory:

Back