• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Do You (or Did You) Decide on Your Career Path?

A wise person once asked me what I would do every day if I won the lottery and didn't have to work. For me, fly. What would you do for free?

Well in my case...Dad was a Flight Engineer in then VP-415 ASW Sqn in then CFB Summerside.  The beeper would go off, he'd leave.  Pre-flight, brief, run-ups, 3 hours later I'd be watching the blinking lights of an Argus go off into the night.  So planes were cool.  I watched the SAR Techs from 413 jump out of the Buf's almost every day too.  About age 17, I read a book called Urgent Fury, the story of the 82nd Airborne Div up from creation to Grenada.  I was hooked then.  I wrote my CFAT in Jan 89, accepted my offer in May 89 and was in Cornwallis on July 89.  The rest is history, good times, many friends and laughs later.

"There's No Life Like It!"

I miss the Sentinel, stories from the guys that were in 4 CMBG, and the guys from 415 that were and are, and always will be, friends of the family.  Of all the lessons I learned, 3 words still stick out, as they were in big letters on the front of the drill hall in Cornwallis...

"LEARN TO SERVE"

Father served in the navy,
brother served in the navy;
sister served in the navy;
a lot of my old school friends served (are serving) in the navy;
..... sooooo, I went infantry  ;D (and later med a)

- I get sea sick inthe bath tub  :-X

My dad served for 33 1/2 years so I always had an idea of what military life was like and it appealed to me. On top of that I was working a shitty job in a warehouse and absolutely hated going to work(Midnight to 8 shift) so I decided to join up. Best choice I have made yet.

When I was 16 my father took me down to the reserve company of his wartime Regiment to see the CSM... 5 weeks later I was on winter ex.  Probably a good decision.

Honestly, Ive always been attracted to the idea of serving my country, giving back.....And as for my specific trade, well heck, they said they were short on AEC's.....just this simple, I wanted to help, they said they needed xyz, I qualified for y so here I am.

Tossed some dice, read tea leaves......  ;)

Seriously, I was a "base brat" and the military always seemed like a pretty good life to me.  My Dad served 30 years and two of my sisters and two brothers-in-law were in as well.  Guess I was used to the way of life, having grown up on bases all my life.

Now if I could just figure out what I want to do when I grow up..... ;D

Back