• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Do You (or Did You) Decide on Your Career Path?

It's just a given for me, even since I can remember I wanted to join the military.  I can't explain why, I just did.

It's nice being able to answer this question and know that the people listening understand.  I know I've told my friends this and even someof their parents and most of them don't understand, they just nod their head and say "I see, well then."  I think it's something you have to do to understand.  I know it isn't for everyone and that's fine, but neither is quantum mechanics. 

I'm just proud do be doing this job, it's like no other.

The teamwork, discipline, physically demanding, and the pride,

same for me. this is the shortest and best way to described it,
and i never wanted to died choking on food or by a drunk driver.
"No offence to the one`s who lost a loved one under these sircumstances"
i just think it an honnorable death to die protecting your interest and the
the rest of the country. :salute: :cdn:

sure.

And with todays enemy, they all want to die to go to heaven with 12 beautiful virgins.

Uhhhhh, I joined for the men....      

That doesn't sound gay does it?

:-*

Hey Ghost your supposed to say festive not gay in the army now! Not that there is anything wrong with that!

lol a festive oooh is this serious. nothing wrong with that. :-*

yeah it's kinda bad.

During BMQ some staff jokingly called me festiveson.  ;D

Al-X said:
sure.

And with todays enemy, they all want to die to go to heaven with 12 beautiful virgins.

I thougth 72 was the lucky number.  :-\

Hey new guys. Since your so keen on speaking about men in the army, i'll tell you a trick to do in basic.
When your in the shower with 30 some other guys, find an empty shower, turn it on to retarded cold and fill up your soap container with cold water. Wait until someone is washing their face so they can't see what your doing them splash the container of cold water over their bits.

the non stressfull [sic] working environment
HAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously though,

And with todays enemy, they all want to die to go to heaven with 12 beautiful virgins

"The old lie: dulce est decorum est pro patria mori"
So they've replaced a country with religion. It was a stupid argument to follow in 1914, and it's a stupid argument to follow today. It's unfortunate that so many people just can't think for themselves (this includes some people in our own society, just as those mentioned above are only a small misrepresentation of another good culture).

Why do I wear the uniform? Orwell touches on my reasons a bit:

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

I'm not exactly a violent person. I'd much rather be enjoying life peacefully than getting in a fight. In Canada we're lucky enough to have a society where we have the ability to do exactly that, without a strong threat of violence hanging over us. When we go to sleep at night, we do so able to reasonably assume that during the night no armed mobs will rampage through our area and harm our families. Hell, we can even gripe about our government without being jailed, tortured or killed for suggesting that our "rulers" messed up and should be replaced.

Unfortunately, others are not so lucky. I would certainly prefer to never have to "do violence", but am more than willing to stand ready for it and fight people who would harm those who simply want their children to grow up in peace.

The Canadian military gives you the opportunity to protect others, both at here and in other countries. It's called making a difference in the world, standing up for what you believe in, doing the right thing, etc, etc. Beats the hell out of the regular 9-5 routine where, at the end of the day, if you did a really really good job, you earned the boss a bit more $$$.

That's my way of looking at it at least.

sorry i didnt understand your post because it was too long, so i dont know if your p!ss at me because of what i said or just agreeing? anyway i didnt mean no harm, peace out. :salute: :cdn:

The flashpoint in my decision process was the film "Gallipolli".

I also believe it's a long-standing, proud family tradition - My grandfather served in the Boer War, a relative won the Victoria Cross, almost all my healthy male family elders served in the Second World War (and survived), my brother and cousins served in the Militia.

My favourite recruiting poster was "Nobody wants to fight, but somebody has to know how."

My only regret is that I'm unable to cope with the careerists in our Army today.

bossi said:
My only regret is that I'm unable to cope with the careerists in our Army today.

Amen to that...

Unfortunately they are the ones who seem to be running the army these days. :rage:

10 years ago it was a different beastie. And, I believe, much better.

The reasons I joined were many but the big ones were that I wanted to be more than I was and to make a difference to someone.

Military Brat said:
Al-X said:
sure.

I thougth 72 was the lucky number.  :-
No, no, no, that's the meaning of life, C7 is your lucky number

Ghost778 said:
Hey new guys. Since your so keen on speaking about men in the army, i'll tell you a trick to do in basic.
When your in the shower with 30 some other guys, find an empty shower, turn it on to retarded cold and fill up your soap container with cold water. Wait until someone is washing their face so they can't see what your doing them splash the container of cold water over their bits.
oh,, man, that is so not cool, in fact it's cold......

but, it would be funny, both for you, at first, and for the rest of the guys, when your victim is chasing you down the hall in your respective birthday suits.

This topic reminds me of a funny story.  Druing my BMQ, we had inspection by our CO.  During his inspection, he asked one of the recruits why he joined the army.  The recruit replied "I want to serve my country and learn valuable skills.

The Captain replied, "No you didn't.  ou joined to play with guns and kill Al Queda"

We all got a giggle out of that one...

I thougth 72 was the lucky number.   :-
No, no, no, that's the meaning of life, C7 is your lucky number

As my signature says, 42 is the meaning of life (and "what do you get when you multipy 6 by 9" is the question).

I know, but it is when you multiply it in base 16 or something like that.  I think it represents the absurdity of searching for a fixed answer for life.

Back