• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Has rank been watered down?

Infanteer said:
Oooo goody, let's talk about how hard core the "old army" was.  We, the soft soldiers of today's Army who never had the benefit of getting kicked in the face by an NCO, will get on with the war.... ::)

I'm starting to get sick of this statement the more I hear it (Sorry Vern, it's not you, it's just this is a pet-peeve of mine).  First, I earned my way into the Junior Ranks Mess by signing on the line and becoming soldier (not many Canadians do that) and I earned my trip to the frumpy, at times lame, Officer's Mess through a couple years of hard work.  If I kicked around the ranks longer, I probably would have earned the right to go to the SNCOs Mess (Another pet peeve of mine, is not a Warrant Officer a Non-Commissioned Officer by the fact that they do not have a commission?  I suspect this is another CF Myth perpetuated).  I've seen alot of waisters ranked Sergeant and above - the type who have slipped through the system; what the hell have they earned?  If simply kicking around and collecting green welfare is what we consider "EARNING" the right to a mess, then by all means feel happy for that.  Everyone EARNS their right to sit in their mess - time served is irrelevent.

Emphasis added.

Ref:  QR&O 1.02 (http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qr_o/vol1/ch001_e.asp#1.02)

"non-commissioned member" means any person, other than an officer, who is enrolled in, or who pursuant to law is attached or seconded otherwise than as an officer to, the Canadian Forces; (militaire du rang)*

"non-commissioned officer" means a member holding the rank of sergeant or corporal; (sous-officier)

So - Warrant Officers are not NCOs - but they are NCMs (but NOT Sr NCMs - there is no such designation).

Thanks for setting that one straight Roy.  Although the logic seems silly - anyone without a Commission would be, by nature, Non-Commissioned, no?  But that's semantics - my original statements on the mess and the old school Army still stand.

Infanteer said:
Thanks for setting that one straight Roy.  Although the logic seems silly - anyone without a Commission would be, by nature, Non-Commissioned, no?  But that's semantics - my original statements on the mess and the old school Army still stand.

"NCM" was the politically correct replacement for the old term "men", as in, "The Officers and Men of the Regiment".

I tend to agree with you regarding the old school Army, and changing times.  HOWEVER - I think we do need to keep those things from the old school Army that still work now, and not just through out everything just because it's "old school".  Exactly what things may be worth keeping is a decision to be made by today's leadership.  There are dinosaurs out there, no one disputes that.  There are also those Warrants and Sr Offrs who have changed with the times and learned the lessons of today's environment, all the while keeping the values instilled in them by the old school Army - THEY are the effective leaders today.

As for messes - as one who "earned his way" into the Sr NCOs and WOs Mess - I don't have a problem with the term.  I'm also aware that the Mess is becoming much less relevant to today's soldiers - lots of reasons for it.  From what I've seen on civvie street there's a strong movement of young folk AWAY from the "party hardy" attitudes that prevailed when I was a teenager in the 70s.  I know that's not what you read in the paper - but good kids (the majority, in my experience) don't tend to be "newsworthy".  So, perhaps the incoming generation is less interested in the Mess - and that's not necessarily bad.

As for the original post on this thread - yes, I tend to agree that today's soldiers are less respectful and "parade square disciplined" - but I'm not sure that's necessarily a bad thing (NOR am I sure that it's a good thing, either).  All I know is that these guys who don't pay proper respects in Garrison are acquitting themselves extremely well on the Battlefield.

Roy Harding said:
I tend to agree with you regarding the old school Army, and changing times.  HOWEVER - I think we do need to keep those things from the old school Army that still work now, and not just through out everything just because it's "old school"....
As for the original post on this thread - yes, I tend to agree that today's soldiers are less respectful and "parade square disciplined" - but I'm not sure that's necessarily a bad thing (NOR am I sure that it's a good thing, either).  All I know is that these guys who don't pay proper respects in Garrison are acquitting themselves extremely well on the Battlefield.

Agreed.  But I don't see this as really being a problem today.  I am in a training institution right now and the recruits march about and pay proper respects.  The CSM is good at kicking their ass if they don't and his NCO's as well if they don't enforce the rules and everybody from OC down is pretty good at ensuring that standards are maintained (it is the job of everyone, not just Sergeants and Master Corporals).  I really don't see this as a problem.

We may not be as spit and polished, but we also don't have nightly fights and broken furniture at bars.  We may be a little less relaxed in garrison, but we don't have guys going to the field pissed drunk either.  Times change and so does society.  The professional Army of today is a different beast from the professional one of yesterday. 

Oooo goody, let's talk about how hard core the "old army" was.  We, the soft soldiers of today's Army who never had the benefit of getting kicked in the face by an NCO, will get on with the war....

As someone who lived through some of the "good ol' days" (started in 1985 as a private), they weren't always that good.  I've spent almost 16 months in Afghanistan and the problems were never about how "hard core" the army was or wasn't.

Infanteer said:

We may not be as spit and polished, but we also don't have nightly fights and broken furniture at bars.  We may be a little less relaxed in garrison, but we don't have guys going to the field pissed drunk either.  ...

You don't know what you're missing.  ;)

Gunner said:
As someone who lived through some of the "good ol' days" (started in 1985 as a private), they weren't always that good.  I've spent almost 16 months in Afghanistan and the problems were never about how "hard core" the army was or wasn't.

As someone who started as a Private in 1977 I whole-heartedly agree that the "good ol' days" weren't ALWAYS that good.  On the other hand - they weren't ALWAYS that bad, either.

I've spent over 5 years on various missions - from Iran, Iraq, Bosnia, Croatia, to Afghanistan - and you're right, the problems were never about how "hard core" the Army was or wasn't - as I recall, most of the problems were of the "what the f**k do we do NOW?!" variety.  Like today's soldiers, we generally acquitted ourselves very well.

I'd like to chime in, as a lowly Sapper, if I may...

I've gone on Ex's and been told, "We won't screw with you if we don't need to." As long as the task set before us is properly and timely done, then we are given some slack, because when you spend all day busting your ass in the field and you do a job well, you've earned some slack.

Maybe it's an engineer thing, I don't know, but it seems to me, that when your job encompasses as much dangerous crap as an Engineers, (ie, explosives, heavy equip, chainsaws, power tools) it makes sense to adopt a more relaxed attitude to ranks. Stress can kill you, and working with people senior to me, is added stress if I'm worrying about whether or not I should be constantly checking ranks, and maybe coming to attention, maybe not...it's a distraction that doesn't do anyone any good. Working in the field carries over to garrison a bit, but we get the job done, and respect the senior ranks; as they respect us, if we've demonstrated that we deserve it. If we mess up, we know it.

And in garrison? When stress isn't in a position to kill anyone, things tighten up a bit, but everyone knows, from the lowest guy to the highest guy, that we are going back out eventually, and we all have to work together to get the job done. Courtesy is paid to the Rank, regardless of who wears it... but Respect is earned by the man who wears the rank. I think that is a damn good policy, and if you whine and bitch about troops not respecting you, look in the mirror; because it's that guys fault.

Maybe it's part of being a muddy, bloody engineer... I'm not sure. But it seems the other combat trades I've had exposure to, operate the same way.

And maybe this whole debate isn't about respect, maybe it's about courtesy...

Dog said:
And in garrison? When stress isn't in a position to kill anyone, things tighten up a bit, but everyone knows, from the lowest guy to the highest guy, that we are going back out eventually, and we all have to work together to get the job done. Courtesy is paid to the Rank, regardless of who wears it... but Respect is earned by the man who wears the rank. I think that is a damn good policy, and if you whine and bitch about troops not respecting you, look in the mirror; because it's that guys fault.

Red colouring added.

Bingo - you figured it out.  You appear to have the attitude required to have a brilliant career - best of luck to you.

Roy, I agree they weren't always bad but ... we have moved forward for the better.  Better equipped, more operationally focussed, more operationally experienced, better soldiers, etc, etc.  Have we lost some of the "spit and polish", yep, but it has been a good trade off.   Are we perfect? Not at all.

Like today's soldiers, we generally acquitted ourselves very well.

Man for man, I'd take a Canadian soldier over just about any other nationality based on my experiences in Europe, Africa and Asia.  We have nothing to be ashamed of and we certainly do not play second fiddle to any other nation.

Frostnipped Elf said:
Army Vern says, "It is NOT an Officers task to correct dress, deportment & discipline. Nor is it the RSMs."

Never pass a fault is a useful motto for all that wear the uniform, not just the RCR.  We all must pay attention to detail and know the appropriate means to have the fault addressed.  This may require immediate correction or later addressing by the individual's supervisor.

If the Capt, RSM and CO passed the gaggle, a private conversation initiated by the Capt to the RSM and/or CO should have taken place before the day was over.  With the Capt asking the RSM and/or CO how the situation should have been addressed or if it would be.

Discipline is a standard by which a unit judges itself.

I agree. I guess the point of my post was that situations that occur such as this show a distinct lact of leadership at the lowest levels.

Sgts are aware when RSM and Comds will be visiting their lines. The Sergeant should be reinforcing what the appropriate showing of respect is before that visit occurs. My troops are well aware what to do if they should be hanging around for a smoke or whatever and a superior rank should wander into the vicinty, they are also well aware that their ass should go from seated to standing at attention at their desk when appropriate. They are also fully aware of the reprecussions of their non-action of such should it ever occur and I catch wind of it.

Failure of personnel to react appropraitely when an RSM or Comd walks through the smoking area indicates that a sergeant somewhere has not been correcting faults.

We have a little thing happening here now due to the huge volumes of absolute idiots who feel it appropriate to enter the mall/grocery store etc and then immediately remove their headdress. As briefed by the RSM ... when this is observed ... the nearest Sergeant/WO/MWO in the vicinty who could observe the idiot without the headdress and failed to correct it, will be getting some extras along with the idiot himself/herself. Seems fair to me. It is my job to correct such things, and when/if I should fail to do so ... it is my job to take the shit that goes along with my failure to act because I should not be correcting these types of things only because the RSM/CO is around -- I should be doing it all the time.

Vern, I'm in agreement with you. The others had almost changed my mind, but in reality it all went against my old school learning (1960's - I really mean OLD SCHOOL). Maybe things are different, nowadays, and maybe in some circumstances they should be - I don't know so won't judge.

In early 1980, I met, for the first time, my Dad's cousin - an RSM, at my parents' home. Dad introduced me, and I responded with "Nice to meet you Sir". Then he told me to call him XXXX, and offered his hand.  Permission was given, and we were free to act as cousins. If I hadn't done it that way - Dad (ex-Army) would have had my head! It was expected, on a military and personal level.

To me it speaks as much to manners as respect. Any of you with a civillian job and boss - as an experiment "accidently" call them sir. When I did it my boss's smile lit up his office - and he was a micro-managing nitwit, that I didn't much respect.

:cdn:
Hawk

Hawk said:
Vern, I'm in agreement with you. The others had almost changed my mind, but in reality it all went against my old school learning (1960's - I really mean OLD SCHOOL). Maybe things are different, nowadays, and maybe in some circumstances they should be - I don't know so won't judge.

I don't know where the "old school" comments are coming from in this thread quite frankly because I've certainly not called for a return to them. Nor has anyone else that I can see. What I have seen is a comparison of how the proper paying of courtesy, and attitudes towards it, has been changing over the past decade or so.

But, the rules and regulations regarding the proper paying of compliments to Officers and protocol regarding courtesy have not changed in that decade. So what's the difference?

The difference is in discipline. Times have indeed changed. I joined on 12 Jan 88. I have been the beneficiary of much change in the CF, a heck of a lot of it for the better. I do not, have not, will not ever put out a call for a return to the "old days." Quite frankly, when someone mentions how something used to be in the "old days" -- ie my saying that troops KNEW what to do and just did it -- seems to have garnered some attention in that "the old days are over and we are moving on."

Why, these days, whenever anyone mentions something about the "old days" must that be immediately construed as "the old days are gone, this is the "new CF" by someone of the more recent generation of soldiers? This is indeed the new CF, but the rules haven't changed regarding courtesy. Those rules are old ... so why aren't they being enforced?? That is an inherent aspect of a leaders duty. It boils down to discipline. Discipline is the foundation block of the CF. It's fundamental.

As I6 posted earlier, we have a large volume of combat arms types with combat experience who are redefining the face of the CF and the meaning of Camraderie and Teamwork within their groups. This is all good. We have to adapt with changing times. There is ZERO wrong with that. But, I'd also wager that in those combat arms Unit and smaller teams of which I6 spoke --- there isn't a single Pte who would have remained with his feet on the desk, or his smoke hanging out of his mouth with his arms hanging lackadasicly at his sides while the RSM and CO walked by. That is because discipline is still being enforced. Leaders are leading. Getting along with ones peers, needing to know them intimately due to life and death situations one may be placed into is fundamental to mission success, but so is discipline. In Kev's example -- I'd move that those personnel have found the happy balance, thus morale, performance and discipline is excellent.

The same can not be said for an office or sea enviornment where a Pte or OS seems to think that it is acceptable to lounge around with his feet on the desk when the big boss walks in. Even on civvie street --- one would usually find their ass fired for such a transgression. I fully expect that within the CF, even the new CF, we would expect better and more appropriate behaviour than that. Believing that has nothing to do with being old school -- rather it's just manners.

Here's my take ... if a Pte or OS is comfortable remaining with his feet up on the desk and believes that is a proper paying of courtesy to the RSM or Comd; that it is acceptable to behave in such a manner towards those pers, then I can only imagine what that Pte/OS feels is appropriate behaviour towards a MCpl or a Sgt. It does not a pretty picture make.

With a huge sigh of relief, I stand corrected, Vern. Thank you.

:cdn:
Hawk

ArmyVern said:
Here's my take ... if a Pte or OS is comfortable remaining with his feet up on the desk and believes that is a proper paying of courtesy to the RSM or Comd; that it is acceptable to behave in such a manner towards those pers, then I can only imagine what that Pte/OS feels is appropriate behaviour towards a MCpl or a Sgt. It does not a pretty picture make.

My take would be the Pte or OS should then be comfortable with someone kicking out the chair.

Infidel-6 said:
My take would be the Pte or OS should then be comfortable with someone kicking out the chair.

Absolutely what should have occured.  ;)

Just a point...

During training this weekend, I had a chance to eat with PLQ course and recognized one Cpl I know that should never of been put on the course due to lack of experience/TI, attitude and confidence. You would all likely agree if you knew the individual in question. I guess the reserves are just lacking in qualified instructors, but with an attitude like this person, I don't put to much faith in the respect level that those trained by them will display.

Suffice to say, they passed...

axeman said:
sorry we have many traditions  don't salute while on-board  crossing the line ceremony . etc .

Navy doesn't salute on board for the same historical reason you don't salute in the field (on the deck of a ship under attack you signal to the snipers in the rigging who the officers are)...that's not a lack of discipline....crossing the line ceremeony is an ancient tradition of mariners all over the world. the army has their smokers and their equivalent shenanigans (although political correctness has done much to kill a lot of them) which built esprit de corps etc.
the Navy and the Air Force have different requirements for discipline than the Army....skill in working as a combat team in an Ops Room....working as a team to fix aircraft or work on a Maritime Patrol aircraft to get a much different job done than that required of an Infanteer or a Tank crew.

Im curious... why would you salute/pay respect to an officer/SNCO that you dont respect?

(Bear with me, I'm leading into a point over the course of a few posts)

Back