• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can you tell what rank someone is in Civilian clothes?

I used to get DEU shirts tailored but they are now so cheaply made I don't see the point. That seems like clear coating over rust. Instead I got some shirt tucks (the magnet ones) that kept it tucked in and that seems to work okay. I normally hem my own pants but even tailoring them can only limit how crap they fit.

Used to have a few tailor made shirts with the accountrement and whatnot on them it which I outgrew (at the neck and shoulders, to buck a trend), so probably will do the same post COIVD, but honestly doesn't seem worth the effort for the DEUs as they fall apart pretty quickly (and don't even make very good rags because they are weirdly un-absorbent for cotton).

scruffy han solo GIF by Star Wars

So no maroon bowlers? 😆

Our unit eventually issued us the M1. But, prior to that, we wore the old "tin hats" left over from the war.
Ha. Ditto. I'd forgotten about that. Had them for my recruit course and I don't know whether we ever exchanged them because being arty we never wore them in the field after that. Not really sure when I got my first M1. It was probably on my BOTC course with the two colour cam cover and band. I remember mine dangling from my gas mask carrier walking the streets of Montreal during the Octoberfest.

🍻

I was issued a M1 helmet in September 1960 for OCP Phase One. Interestingly, the army called in something like "Helmet, UN". Later on, I came across a reference that indicated that circa 1943 or 1944 the Brits and us had seriously considered adopting it, and we had purchased at least 100,000 of them.

The most hurtful thing ever said to me when I worked at NDHQ (other than "You're from NDHQ? Eww! Sorry.") was on dress-down Friday when a co-worker told me "You dress like a sergeant-major.".
But you were wearing dockers and a golf shirt! The sergeant-majors' civilian uniform...

I used to get DEU shirts tailored but they are now so cheaply made I don't see the point. That seems like clear coating over rust. Instead I got some shirt tucks (the magnet ones) that kept it tucked in and that seems to work okay. I normally hem my own pants but even tailoring them can only limit how crap they fit.

Used to have a few tailor made shirts with the accountrement and whatnot on them it which I outgrew (at the neck and shoulders, to buck a trend), so probably will do the same post COIVD, but honestly doesn't seem worth the effort for the DEUs as they fall apart pretty quickly (and don't even make very good rags because they are weirdly un-absorbent for cotton).
I normally cut the bottom of the DEU shirts off because I find that they are too long and get in the way. It probably wouldn't last long turn, but I replace the shirt every year or so, being the piece of kit in this Army that is the easiest to come across. Although logistic unicorps is actually a lot more useful now that they carry the jackets already cutaway and have various things such as hose, sporrans, and glengarry's. I've even heard a rumour that they will eventually carry kilts and patrol dress. My one complaint is that the balmorals they have are beyond "lowest bidder" quality.

I normally cut the bottom of the DEU shirts off because I find that they are too long and get in the way. It probably wouldn't last long turn, but I replace the shirt every year or so, being the piece of kit in this Army that is the easiest to come across. Although logistic unicorps is actually a lot more useful now that they carry the jackets already cutaway and have various things such as hose, sporrans, and glengarry's. I've even heard a rumour that they will eventually carry kilts and patrol dress. My one complaint is that the balmorals they have are beyond "lowest bidder" quality.

But the brogues are awesome, right?

I would tailor my own shirts, basically turn them inside out and sew a seam down each side so that I wouldn't look like a flying squirrel.
I had put in a change to the dress regulations to allow for pants to have "flex waist" and be of a material that was basically wash and wear. The folks at logistik already have them in stock for other customers but CAF has not asked for them.
AFAIK the request I made has died a slow and painful death due to covid.

I would tailor my own shirts, basically turn them inside out and sew a seam down each side so that I wouldn't look like a flying squirrel.
I had put in a change to the dress regulations to allow for pants to have "flex waist" and be of a material that was basically wash and wear. The folks at logistik already have them in stock for other customers but CAF has not asked for them.
AFAIK the request I made has died a slow and painful death due to covid.
I believe it is time we went back to a work dress for office workers.

If we had a real #3 service dress that was both practical and decent looking we could keep our wool #1s for fancy occasions. It would have to be far cheaper to have Denver Hayes/Dickies/Eddie Bauer make us a green/tan, blue, and black work dress, than it is to kit office worker out in CADPAT/NCD. They could likely leverage existing designs with minor modifications to create better looking, and more durable uniforms than what we have.

Also, it would make going ashore in a foreign port easier, as the uniform bits wouldn't look so weird lol.

I believe it is time we went back to a work dress for office workers.

If we had a real #3 service dress that was both practical and decent looking we could keep our wool #1s for fancy occasions. It would have to be far cheaper to have Denver Hayes/Dickies/Eddie Bauer make us a green/tan, blue, and black work dress, than it is to kit office worker out in CADPAT/NCD. They could likely leverage existing designs with minor modifications to create better looking, and more durable uniforms than what we have.

Also, it would make going ashore in a foreign port easier, as the uniform bits wouldn't look so weird lol.
Great idea.

I found a used jacket on E-Bay for only $35 :)

1612276083653.png

Great idea.

I found a used jacket on E-Bay for only $35 :)

View attachment 64451
Honestly, what drugs was the person who proposed this on?

It's one thing to be wearing combat clothing in an office environment, but to create a completely different uniform, specifically not for the field, but making it camouflage? wtf?

Honestly, what drugs was the person who proposed this on?

It's one thing to be wearing combat clothing in an office environment, but to create a completely different uniform, specifically not for the field, but making it camouflage? wtf?

Yes, it was an poorly thought out piece of kit and was the basis of multiple jokes about hiding in the office, but it partly came about as a nod (cheap nod) to the camo patterned jump smock that was worn with work dress (garrison dress) not just in the CAR but in every unit of the SSF (2 bde).

Back