• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

The LPC was never going to agree to let the CPC tell them what to do. That motion was just as much theatrics on the CPC side.
Surely one wouldn’t wish to deny theatrics from all but the ruling party, no?

This has to be the most peaceful dismantling of a protest ever. Some of the protesters are standing their ground, not acting violent but not cooperating. I haven't see the police crack skulls yet, just removing people here and there.

I do hear the government of the day referring to this as a "siege" on CPAC... I believe "insurrection" has been tossed around by some key Trudeau folks also.

This has to be the most peaceful dismantling of a protest ever. Some of the protesters are standing their ground, not acting violent but not cooperating. I haven't see the police crack skulls yet, just removing people here and there.

I do hear the government of the day referring to this as a "siege" on CPAC... I believe "insurrection" has been tossed around by some key Trudeau folks also.
Glad it’s going down that way.

Lessons learned. Besides, there are kids in the mix. No doubt some would be happy to see a mellee but the slow steady push works better and gives protesters a chance to leave (and it seems many are). I notice that both here and Windsor that the Public Order folks are not in 'hard tac' (helmets, batons, shields, etc.). No doubt at hand nearby, in case.

Last edited:
Lessons learned. Besides, there are kids in the mix. No doubt some would be happy to see a mellee but the slow steady push works better and gives protesters leave (and it seems many are). I notice that both here and Windsor that the Public Order folks are not in 'hard tac' (helmets, batons, shields, etc.). No doubt at hand nearby, in case.
Lessons learned and I would suggest an unwillingness to be violent with police for most of the protestors (remember these are mostly blue collar people who generally support the police, not professional protestors or lowlifes). The police know this and is probably why they are not in hard tac.

Lessons learned and I would suggest an unwillingness to be violent with police for most of the protestors (remember these are mostly blue collar people who generally support the police, not professional protestors or lowlifes). The police know this and is probably why they are not in hard tac.
Agree. No doubt there are a few 'pros' in there. I have heard that some of the residents and business owners in the area are unhappy that protesters are being allowed to leave. I understand the sentiment that they want everybody held accountable for their loss and disruption, over the past three weeks, but simple logistics alone would prevent that.

If you are an police incident commander, which would you rather have; a running street battle with hundreds of people over several blocks, or a slow push, allowing the 'softer' protesters to peel off? The closer they get to the core at Wellington, they will deal with the more entrenched, but fewer (and more compact) numbers. The goal is to make this go away.

"Counselling to commit the offence of mischief;
Counselling to commit the offence of disobey court order (s. 127);
Counselling to commit the offence of obstruct police."

Doesn't really have the same ring as "insurrection, treason, riot, rebellion" that one might expect for justifying an emergency.

Ottawa; The National Debating Centre.

The privilege is yours.

When people use the term "freedumb" it really degrades their argument. You can disagree with the protest, but one should never trivialize freedom.
The actions of the Freedumb Convoy degrade their own argument (if you can even piece out what is, in fact, their point). It's intentionally capitalized to denote a proper name (like 'Dumbass Steve' would clearly refer to a specific individual named Steve, who is, by implication, a dumbass).

When a large number of them are advocating overthrowing the democratically elected government, they lost the right to use the term, and they've been ignorantly trampling over other people's freedoms for weeks. If you need a court injunction to tell you to stop honking your horn like an asshole, bit rich to try and simultaneously claim the morale high ground.

I even agree with a lot of the individual points about the mandates, constantly moving goalposts etc, but their behaviour is counterproductive and they lost the bubble in the first few days in town and went down hill from there.

TL:DR; F*ck these clowns, go home.

Back