• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Following basic training...

what happens after basic training?

• right to training?

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • home again ?

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
LTA
http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/LTA_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=7

Your son will be home for Christmas if he chooses to be, That is a mandatory leave period other then on operations. As for LTA you cover the cost of the first 800km after that the CF pays which usually covers the full cost off the plane ticket. Remember of course that it is your Son's choice as to when he uses his LTA. It only occurs once in a fiscal year.. April 1st till April 1st.. So this year he will luck out he can use LTA for Christmas and then because the fiscal year will end he can use it again this summer. BUT! if he uses it again this summer then he wont be able to use it next Christmas you see how it works?

HitorMiss said:
That is a mandatory leave period other then on operations.

HoM......

Navy and Air force dont stop during the hollidays like the army back home does........We still run 24/7 with servicing crews and aircrews launching and recovering planes.  God knows what the Navy does but they dont shut down either.

I was told that the Navy has "watches" on 24/7 when alongside...and for the most part, the single sailors do watch over Christmas so the folks with kids get Christmas with them and then they switch, and the single people have New Years off...not set in stone...and ya, sorry for hijackin' the thread...

cdnaviator said:
God knows what the Navy does but they dont shut down either.

He will be at Fleet School which does shut down for the holidays.  Not sure how they pick base duty watches though.  And MRM, you are correct for the duties on the ships.  Most ships set up the duties through volunteers and that is how it usually ends up.  I have take New Years duties for the last few years.

What is the reasoning of being sent to B.C. now? To get settled in? Seems like an expense to me. Especially since the course doesnt start until January.I know of another lad who finishes his basic Dec 6th( I think) and he is off the whole month of December and then goes to B.C. in January.He is in Quebec at the present........Oh well, I will find this all out soon enough.

cdnaviator said:
HoM......

Navy and Air force dont stop during the hollidays like the army back home does........We still run 24/7 with servicing crews and aircrews launching and recovering planes.  God knows what the Navy does but they dont shut down either.

My bad, I was outside my lane on the assumption of how christmas works for the other 2 elements, however schools do shut down right?

I hope you are right HorM. It would be nice to have him with us for this Xmas.By the way...would he have to pay up front for his flight home and be reimbursed? Or pay the first 800km and the CF pays the rest? Any input would help.

govenor_mac said:
I hope you are right HorM. It would be nice to have him with us for this Xmas.By the way...would he have to pay up front for his flight home and be reimbursed? Or pay the first 800km and the CF pays the rest? Any input would help.

Typically, you get an advance on your travel claim so that you can pay for your flight upfront with it.  This advance is then subtracted from the claim when it is submitted at the end of the leave.

HitorMiss said:
My bad, I was outside my lane on the assumption of how christmas works for the other 2 elements, however schools do shut down right?

Some army works on Christmas

Chaplains  ;D ;D

I just graduated from St. Jean yesterday.  I'm due to report to Borden by Sunday and the RUMOR is the Borden will be shutting down Dec. 8th for Christmas.  It depends what the next unit of the individual is.  My buddies who are going to Meaford won't be off until the 15th I believe.  Regardless there is some time to see the family during the holidays.  Hope this helps :)

Chris

P.S.  What a ride!!!!!!!!!

medic269 said:
I just graduated from St. Jean yesterday.  I'm due to report to Borden by Sunday and the RUMOR is the Borden will be shutting down Dec. 8th for Christmas.  It depends what the next unit of the individual is.  My buddies who are going to Meaford won't be off until the 15th I believe.  Regardless there is some time to see the family during the holidays.  Hope this helps :)

Chris

It is not necessarily what Base or Unit you are at that dictates when you go on Leave, although it can be a major factor, but in this case it may be what Course you are on.  Chris is no longer on Crse, and those up in Meaford may still be finishing up a Crse.  They would go that extra week and finish a Crse, rather than have two or three weeks off and come back to do one week.  So you see, there are many factors that will affect when one goes on Leave.

Well good news! Just got off the phone with my son and he's coming home Wednesday until the new year! There really and truly is a God.....no doubt about it! Thank You God!Thank you everyone !

HEADING TO BMQ JAN3/09 going in as vehicle tech. After all is done will i be posted to one of my choices or no? and how long is a posting? Wanting to know if should sell my house and buy one where posted. thanks for any help.Oh what is pretc.

Not sure what your poll is about but once your finished your basic, you'll be posted to whatever base your trade does it's initial QL3 training.  I wouldn't go selling your house just yet as you may or may not be posted to another base right after your trades training.

PRETC is a holding platoon that the majority of new troops are assigned to awaiting their trades training.  You may or may not be at PRETC for A LONG time.

Postings can be anywhere from 3 to 5 years...........sometimes even longer.

A search would have answered most, if not all, your questions, but as it is the end of the year, I'll be nice (believe me, that's rare!  ;)) and answer them.

Posted to base of choice?  Not necessarily, some people do get lucky but the CF sends you where they need you.
How long is a posting?  They all vary in length.  I was at 2 Fd Amb in Petawawa for 10 years.  Then only in Kingston for 2 years.  Positions change along with promotions, training levels , etc.
Should you sell your house and buy one where you are posted?  That also depends.  Do you want to keep your original house for some reason?  If you are going to keep it, do you have reliable renters?  Can you afford a house at your new posting?  There are too many factors in play here.

All in all, just worry about BMQ and trades training for now.  The rest will come later.  Here's a link for Royal Lepage Relocation Services, which is who the military uses for postings.

Good luck on BMQ and Happy New Year!  :cheers:

I don't know that this has been addressed yet.  If it has, by all means mods, please merge with the appropriate thread.

I confirmed today at the RC that new recruits (barring Air Force) have to do some sort of battle readiness training on top of what is taught at BMQ.  For the Army it's SQ (Soldier Qualification) Gagetown (?) and for Navy recruits it's NETP (Naval Environmental Training Program) either in Halifax or Esquimalt.  It's done now inbetween BMQ and QL3 courses (I believe this was done after the 3s courses previously and was dependant on your posting).  Not sure that this is something that all new recruits are aware of, I know that nobody mentioned it to me and I did not find it anywhere on the recruiting website.  I had to find out third hand and then ask about it myself.

Lil_T said:
(barring Air Force)

Air Force pers have to complete the Basic Air Environment Qualification.

I know that nobody mentioned it to me and I did not find it anywhere on the recruiting website. 

This course is nothing new and it should have been mentioned to you. All CF personel, regardless of element, trade  & rank, have to complete NETP prior to serving aboard ships.

I know NETP and battleschool is nothing new.  Just the timing of doing it has changed.  The WO at the RC said "if you had gone Air Force you wouldn't have to worry about either..."  that kind of made me scratch my head.  I figured they'd certainly have some sort of elemental training.  I just wish someone would have told me at some point.  Not like it makes any difference, of course, I'm not going to withdraw my application over something so trivial as that.  (i.e/ you never told me about xyz training!!!)

I swear I have nothing against the air force at all LOL  I'm just quoting the WO I spoke with.

Back