• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Following basic training...

what happens after basic training?

• right to training?

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • home again ?

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
french ain't that bad.. ;-)

I know about the name of it. where do go is another thing...

depends on what trade you are. you will be sent to where your next training will be done. When you get there if you have to wait for your course you go on pat.  If you have like a 3 month wait then you can ask to be sent to a base closer to home to do OJT (on job training) if your trade has a unit there.

Just a few questions.  Can anyone help me out.  I may be clueless but what exactly is SQ? 

Is it part of the BMQ course in St Jean? 

If it is not part of the BMQ.........where is it held and how long is it.

Answers Anyone????????

Thank in Advance, :)
Rs

SQ = soldier qualification

read here:

http://army.ca/forums/threads/1913.0

Thanks Steve,

But it still does not really answer my question.  Anyone else? 

Is it only for the "combat arms" or is it for all trades?  The link you gave me only really related to individuals that were involved in combat arms.  Also the last post on that link was from 2003.....things change.

I just want to know if it is another course that is taken by non-combat arms trades.  In particular RMS. 

Thanks,
RS

From CF Recruiting Site @ http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/home/jobs_e.aspx?qsid=1031

(All Army Trades are similar just delete Infantry and Insert Artillery, Armoured, Engineer, Lineman, Sigs etc.)

Basic Military Qualification
The first stage of training for everyone is the 10-week Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) course at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec. This training provides the basic core skills and knowledge common to all trades. It is also physically demanding. A primary goal of this course is to ensure that all recruits attain the CF physical fitness standard. BMQ covers the following topics:

policies and regulations of the Canadian Forces;

CF drill, dress and deportment (the â Å“three Dsâ ?);

basic safety;

first aid;

personal survival in nuclear, biological and chemical conditions;

handling and firing personal weapons;

cross-country navigation; and

personal survival in field conditions.

Soldier Qualification

On successful completion of BMQ, Infantry Soldiers go to a Military Training Centre for the 10-week Soldier Qualification (SQ) course, which covers the following topics:

Army physical fitness;

dismounted offensive and defensive operations;

reconnaissance patrolling;

advanced weapons-handling (working with grenades, machine-guns and anti-tank weapons); and

individual field-craft.

Basic Military Occupational Training

Basic Military Occupational (MOC) Training for Infantry Soldiers is conducted by their regiment. It takes about 10 weeks, and takes place at one of the following Military Training Centres:

The Royal Canadian Regiment: Meaford, Ontario;

Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry: Wainwright, Alberta; and

The Royal 22e Régiment: Valcartier, Quebec. Basic MOC training covers the following material:

Use and care of personal and section-level weapons, including rifles, machine guns and anti-tank weapons;

Field-craft, including personal hygiene and meal preparation, camouflage, sentry duties, signalling, selecting firing positions, tactical movements and lines of advance;

Construction of field defences, such as trenches and roadblocks, and laying and marking of minefields;

Navigation by day and by night;

Patrolling operations; and

Infantry section and platoon tactics, including offensive, defensive and transitional operations.

Thanks Gunner98

I thought it was only for combat arms.  You answered my question.  I just saw it allot here on the forum and wondered what it was. 

Cheers, :)
RS

Regarding who takes the SQ course; all personnel in trades for which the army is the MA (Managing Authority).  For the Reg F this essentially means everyone in the Cbt Arms.  However personnel from the CSS (Combat Service Support - cooks, clerks, etc) trades can, and likely will,l be sent on the SQ if they are posted to an army unit.  This would happen after trades training.

As all Army Reservists belong to the army (vice CFSTG etc), all PRes trades, less bandsmen, must take the SQ.

I leave for St. Jean in September and am enrolled in as a 411 Vehicle Tech, I was under the impression that I go to SQ right after BMQ no questions asked. I thought it was just what you do, then I have a driving course then my MOC training.

Thanks Standards........

Hope I get an air base!!

Cheers,
RS

I just got my application papers today, it's alot of stuff to fill in, I was interested in postal clerk and supply tech and refrigeration tech. My recruit officer said that I cant take refrigeration I need a course. Anyhow back to the point at hand, following basic training I know training for supply tech is like 67 days in Ontario but if theres a waiting period after traing to the point of trade training can I return home to wait until trade training or do I have to stay in Ontario and wait?

EDIT: couldn't take the spelling anymore :-[

When you wait for a course you stay on a holding platoon and do odd jobs around the base until your course starts.

Pick other trades as Postal Clerk is closed and Supply will be closed after the next selection on Monday.

Back to the original question, you'll probably do some time on a PAT (Personnel Awaiting Training) platoon before your course starts.

Or, you might get lucky - my QL3 course started a week after my BMQ was finished.  No, I have no idea how that happened (not that I was complaining)  :)

SQ stands for soldier qualification. It's a course that everyone must pass if they chose Land trades (ARMY) as opposed to Air or Sea. You go on to SQ after basic. People used to go on a PAT platoon (platoon awaiting training) and wait. Now you go directly to SQ because people get out of shape after SQ. It's pretty much like Basic, just more physical activity, and it's more intense. Work on those pushups!!

i just had a small question...how does SQ work for reservists...is it over weekends or 10 weeks at one time??

Aren't they going to be having SQ become part of BMQ???

I remember a recruiter telling me that with this new 12 week BMQ they are going to be trying to get a recruit SQ qaulified as well during Basic. Can anybody elaborate on this any further?

tig3r said:
i just had a small question...how does SQ work for reservists...is it over weekends or 10 weeks at one time??

SQ for reservists is 3 weeks.  The Reg Force do 10 weeks.

Back