• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enrollment / Swearing In Ceremony [MERGED]

Congratulations,

I am not sure what chinos are, but normal informal business wear or church clothes would work. If I recall you are allowed to take pictures and have family there, so it is up to you how big of an occasion you make it.

Good luck on your future endeavours!

Task said:
Congratulations,

I am not sure what chinos are, but normal informal business wear or church clothes would work. If I recall you are allowed to take pictures and have family there, so it is up to you how big of an occasion you make it.

Good luck on your future endeavours!

Chinos are practically slacks. Think of Dockers. Sort of like those.
I might have one family member there, but I don;t plan on taking pictures.
Thanks for the advice and kind words.

I think I'll just go pick up a shirt. Could use one anyway :)

Black chinos and a black polo shirt would be acceptable. Personally, I'd try to find some classier (not necessarily dress,) shoes. If you can, buy yourself a pair of casual shoes. Here's a gallery which shows some different styles http://www.clarkscanada.com/product/category.aspx?Level1=M&Level2=1.

You should always own a nice pair of casual shoes. They complete the business casual appearance, and can also dress up a pair of jeans. When you go on dates the ladies will notice your shoes, so it's good to have a nice pair.

Best of luck in your career.

Think of it as the first step in your transition from civilian to military member. You want to start on a good note, so clean, semi-formal to business casual dress is acceptable.

a button up shirt and khakis would probably be fine.

I went in today to get sworn in and I just wore a buttoned up plaid shirt with carpenter pants.  The other guy there was wearing a T-Shirt and jeans.

Never ceases to amaze me that :

a) This question comes up at least once a week ; and
b) That people who answer can complicate things so much. I wore a pair of clean jeans, a polo shirt and sneakers. Look at me now, i'm even allowed to eat at the mess without a bib.

In 18 years of service, i have not run into a single CF member who was at my swearing in. I'm sure that whatever impression i made that day, did not hurt me too much.

hantzu said:
Chinos are practically slacks. Think of Dockers. Sort of like those.
I might have one family member there, but I don;t plan on taking pictures.
Thanks for the advice and kind words.

Congratulations. Recommend getting atleast one photo, it will give you/friends/family something to laugh at a few years later.  :)

Greetings!  I'm getting sworn in at the Halifax CFRC on Wednesday November 10th.  I'm wondering if wearing a suit and tie would be overkill?  What does one normally wear when getting sworn in?

Thanks for any info!

ablenus said:
Greetings!  I'm getting sworn in at the Halifax CFRC on Wednesday November 10th.  I'm wondering if wearing a suit and tie would be overkill?  What does one normally wear when getting sworn in?

Thanks for any info!

No, a suit and tie is not overkill.  However, if you don't own one, don't feel that you have to go out and spend money.  As well, if you are not comfortable in one, then don't wear it for this.  Whatever you do, do not wear jeans and a tshirt.  Business casual is fine (khakis, collared shirt, shoes that aren't running shoes).  Be comfortable, but look proper.

Congrats!

Dress clean, even a nice pair of jeans and a t-shirt would be fine.  A suit is not overkill.

If it were me, and I were enrolling, or should I say re-enrolling, knowing what I know now as a serving member, it would be sandals, jean shorts, tie-dyed t-shirt, long hair, and a scruffy beard, just so I could get and keep a picture of said enrollment to cherish for ever.

ablenus said:
I'm wondering if wearing a suit and tie would be overkill? 

I think a jacket and tie would show respect.

I personally wore a shirt and tie when I got sworn into the Reserves. From what I understand, it's really up to personal preference and common sense.

Thank You all for the replies!  Since I already have a suit I think I'll wear it and just remove the jacket if it feels like overkill.  My shirt and tie are a nice manly lavender...lol

Flying out to St. John's on the 24th to begin training at the marine institute, and classes start on Jan 2nd for Naval Electronics Tech: Sonar. 

Any words of wisdom from anyone else who's gone back through university while being a decade older than regular university students?

ablenus said:
Any words of wisdom from anyone else who's gone back through university while being a decade older than regular university students?

I'm doing that right now and I had similar concerns before I started. They've largely been unrealised. Most of the undergrad teenagers will assume you're a graduate student but other than that, no one really seems to care. People will still talk to you and you can be as social as you want. In fact, a lot of younger students will respect your life experience and ask you how things are in "the real world".

Although I know the OP is not coming in as an officer, I would like to address my comments to those readers who may enroll as officers down the road.  An officer enrollee should most definitely wear a suit (or at least a jacket and tie) to the the swearing in.  It's part of the lifestyle.  If you can't be comfortable in more formal attire, then get some clothes that fit!  As an officer, you will be expected to look professional in and out of uniform.  You will frequently be expected to attend events in civilian clothing and that means a suit.  Overall, officers are expected to own suits, be able to tie their own ties and own a pair of dress shoes that don't double as their uniform shoes.

^
I thought they had NCM's on hand to tie their ties and shoes for them? Isn't that why they're officers in the first place?

I do agree with you, as an officer you have a duty to maintain the highest level of professionalism and sense of duty in and out of uniform. They are the leaders in a force that protect the way we live, and they better look the damn part.

MPwannabe said:
^
I thought they had NCM's on hand to tie their ties and shoes for them? Isn't that why they're officers in the first place?

::)

Everyone has a duty to maintain the highest degree of professionalism, even those leaders who aren't commissioned.

niceasdrhuxtable said:
I'm doing that right now and I had similar concerns before I started. They've largely been unrealised. Most of the undergrad teenagers will assume you're a graduate student but other than that, no one really seems to care. People will still talk to you and you can be as social as you want. In fact, a lot of younger students will respect your life experience and ask you how things are in "the real world".

His working dress at Marine Institute (MI) is NCDs, not civillian attire, and he'll be in classes composed entirely of other naval techs... trust me, no one will mistake him for a grad student... you'll also (likely) be living in leased quarters with other naval students from MI, the navy has contracts on a few local apartment buildings in a cluster.

The marine institute does contract training for the navy.

As a mature student, if you apply yourself, you'll do as well or better then anyone younger, life experience counts for a lot.

Back