• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enrollment / Swearing In Ceremony [MERGED]

Does dress really matter for officers and NCM?

What I mean is do the candidates swearing in for Officers have to look like Officers and leaders as in dressing? For me I judge a person from the dress he wears. If a person does not wear to the occassion then I carry a not so godd impression. This is me.

I guess many people have perception and dressing is one of them. I will say CF is not just another thing in life. Its a career and a lifestyle. Hence I will stress that any ceremony or work on administartive side should be treated as formally as possible.

_k

There are two things to remember here:  1)  you only have one chance to make a first impression, so try to make it a good one, and 2) the CF is really quite small, so you may meet some of these people again.  I eventually ended up on the staff of the admiral who had sworn me in years before when he was a commodore.

My thought is that you are actively choosing to give up your civilian status for a career in the Canadian Forces. Once you are sworn in you are an active member (in training) and everything you do reflects on the CF and its members and tradition. Let's say for example there is a media crew on hand doing a story on recruiting efforts. When they point the camera at you and flash the title "newest member of the CF" do you want to be standing there in ratty jeans and a tshirt?

Obviously this is an example but the point I try to make is that when you choose to give up the civilian life you also are giving up the right to dress like a slob.

Hey guys,

I've looked around for an answer to this, but couldn't find anything.

At the swearing in ceremony, I understand the recruit has to swear in to someone (this is obvious). My question is, who is this person normally? Is this person an officer or can it be any member of the CF?

Also, I have heard stories of fathers or mothers who are members of the CF being able to swear-in their sons or daughters. This is a nice gesture in my opinion, and I wonder if it would be possible for an RCMP member to swear in a CF recruit, considering RCMP members have sworn the same oath? Any insight will be great.

IIRC it must be a commissioned officer of the CF. Usually done at the recruiting centre, but can be done by the unit CO for ResF pers.

^ He's spot-on.

I was recently sworn in by a Captain that worked in the recruiting center.

Hi,
I am wondering if there is a dress code for going in to write the CFAT?
Thanks in advance.

No, there isn't a dress code.  But realize that the CFAT is a continuation of your job interview.  You will want to be comfortable to be sitting for awhile, but you should also look presentable.  Khakis, collared shirt, and clean shoes would be a good start.

Good luck.

When I first started working at CFRC, we used to turn people away that were not dressed appropriately for an interview.  As in things like jeans, t-shirts etc.  Until someone pointed out that a lot of the people that were coming in were looking for work and likely didn't have the money or the lifeskills to properly present themselves.  like shoes and ties.  So we stopped.  Be presentable with what you have or can have.

Crantor said:
When I first started working at CFRC, we used to turn people away that were not dressed appropriately for an interview.  As in things like jeans, t-shirts etc.  Until someone pointed out that a lot of the people that were coming in were looking for work and likely didn't have the money or the lifeskills to properly present themselves.  like shoes and ties.  So we stopped.  Be presentable with what you have or can have.

Clothing that is clean, not torn, preferably not blue jeans, etc. 

When I was at the CFRC, I saw it all.  We did institute a dress code for being sworn in when a new recruit (a Component transfer, cpl none the less) was wearing sweatpants.

As for the CFAT, look in your closet.  If the best you can do is torn jeans and a Che Guerra t-shirt, consider investing in some Khakis and a golf shirt.  The gap/ banana republic will help you for about $40.  If that is a stretch, there are the thrift stores/Salvation Army that sell used clothes for a pretty good price. A bit out of date, but so much better then the alternative.

Best job interview advice I was given re appearance:  "They may not notice if you look good,  but they sure as hell will notice if you don't"  (take that for shaving, excess perfume/cologne/axe body spray, recent haircut, clean clothes, ringing phones)

If you are writing the CFAT in a quite small town, make sure you dress damn good as they will notice and recognize you.

If you are writing the CFAT in one of the more busy CFRCs (Toronto, Montreal, etc.), just make sure you don't stand out on the bad side of things. There are probably enough people that pass in and out that they will not be able to recognize you this early in the process.

:2c:

Not a good time to wear your Star Trek uniform, regardless of generation.  ;D

Pusser said:

They say to dress for the job you want - what if he wants to serve on the Enterprise?  ;)

Pusser said:

Pardon? Why did someone not warn me of this?  :facepalm:

Helmsman - evasive manouevres!!!

I hear they in constant demand for red shirts.

insp_expendability.jpg

My File Manager said to "Please Dress nicely, but don't out-dress me"      :rofl:

Back