• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CT -- Reserves into ROTP/RMC (merged)

I came across some information but cant find it again.
basically i want to finish my apprenticeship but while i do that i want to join the reserves. after completing my apprenticeship i want to do the ROTP program but because im already in the CF theres another program for that. Does anybody know what im talking about and where i can get more information besides a recruiter.
Why i want to do this is because i have a family and transfering from NCM to officer program you get more $ while in school.

A reservist who gets in to ROTP will normally do it as ROTP. Reservists generally aren't continued to be in a class of service that brings them under the ambit of UTPNCM or the like.

UTPNCM:

Eligibility and Application Procedures Admissions
In order pursue undergradudate studies at RMCC, you must meet certain eligibility criteria.

These are:

1.Be a Canadian citizen, or authorized by the Canadian government;
2.Possess the required academic programme prerequisites or qualify for mature student status; and,
3.Meet one of the following conditions:
◦Be an applicant for the Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) or the Reserve Entry Training Plan (RETP); or,
Be a member of the Regular or Reserve Forces and have completed basic MOSID (Military Occupational Structure Identification Code) training.
◦CF members who have not completed their basic MOSID qualification may apply with the written recommendation of their Unit or Formation Commander; or
◦Be honourably released from the Regular or Reserve Forces; or, 
◦Be an employee of the Department of National Defence (DND), or other Federal government department, or
◦Be the spouse of a member of the CF.
Individuals who do not meet these eligibility requirements for admission to RMCC and who wish to pursue RMCC's Certificate Programmes or specific individual courses offered by RMCC may apply as 'interest only' students and may be accepted, on an exceptional basis, provided there is space available and their admission serves the aims established for RMCC, the CF and the Government of Canada.

found the information i was looking for thank you

dad said:
UTPNCM:

Eligibility and Application Procedures Admissions
In order pursue undergradudate studies at RMCC, you must meet certain eligibility criteria.

These are:

1.Be a Canadian citizen, or authorized by the Canadian government;
2.Possess the required academic programme prerequisites or qualify for mature student status; and,
3.Meet one of the following conditions:
◦Be an applicant for the Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) or the Reserve Entry Training Plan (RETP); or,
Be a member of the Regular or Reserve Forces and have completed basic MOSID (Military Occupational Structure Identification Code) training.
◦CF members who have not completed their basic MOSID qualification may apply with the written recommendation of their Unit or Formation Commander; or
◦Be honourably released from the Regular or Reserve Forces; or, 
◦Be an employee of the Department of National Defence (DND), or other Federal government department, or
◦Be the spouse of a member of the CF.
Individuals who do not meet these eligibility requirements for admission to RMCC and who wish to pursue RMCC's Certificate Programmes or specific individual courses offered by RMCC may apply as 'interest only' students and may be accepted, on an exceptional basis, provided there is space available and their admission serves the aims established for RMCC, the CF and the Government of Canada.

found the information i was looking for thank you

That is just the requirements that are needed to study at RMC not be accepted to UTPNCM.  It is confusing as they are linked together.  Serving reservist entering subsidized education in the Reg Force utilize the ROTP programme.  I have yet to meet someone that was a reservist becoming an officer through the UTPNCM programme.  Regardless of which program one enters though pay is protected.

I want to join the army reserve squadron located near by (16 Y/O - 17 in September) but I also plan on applying to RMC in fall.  What are the benefits/negatives of joining the reserves first.  I talked to recruiter today and he said it would be Reserve Officer Entry Plan which would mean I would have to pay for my education plus it would be harder to transfer, but on the RMC application it says "Previous Military Experience - Cadets - Reserves - Rangers"  (I'm in cadets BTW) and that was all it mentioned of that.  Thanks - Conlan

Short answer:

There are many folks who have gone into the Primary Reserve then done a component transfer to the Regular Force to enter ROTP at RMC.

A quick search on this site should provide a good eal of information, and pros and cons.  If you don't like the site's search engine, try using google with "site:forums.army.ca  your search terms"

Unless you wanted to be a reserve officer through RMC you wouldn't have to pay for your degree. I would recommend waiting then applying for RMC as you would have to component transfer if you joined the reserves and it can take YEARS to component transfer. Wait until the summers over then apply to RMC, you probally wouldn't even get on course if you joined as a reservist (there pretty much booked full).

Thank you both! I did search but didn't really find what I was looking for.  :)

One more thing, wouldn't a component transfer happen regardless?  I mean, if I am in the reserves for grade 12 and I am accepted into RMC, I have to show up for the following school year regardless right?

Knight13 said:
One more thing, wouldn't a component transfer happen regardless?  I mean, if I am in the reserves for grade 12 and I am accepted into RMC, I have to show up for the following school year regardless right?

You misunderstand. For your file to even get to RMC, you have to go through the Component Transfer process. That could take over a year. Are you willing to miss out on a school year, because you think joining the reserves is an easy road to RMC?

Don't waste yours or more importantly the CF's time: Wait and apply to RMC and skip the reserves.

PuckChaser has the right idea, it took me a year and a half to fully complete my CT and wait to see if I got accepted. That was without any breaks or pauses (its just how long all the processing takes).

I have been in the reserves for 5 years so it was worth it for me as I had enough time to gain the experience and knowledge I needed to make my application stronger (and other financial benefits).

However if you intend to move on to RMC so quickly then no, reserves is a worse option as you are just creating more hoops to jump through for yourself and everyone else.

Hello

I an a ROTP applicant and going through selection process. I am also member of Reserve Forces and my rank is corporal. I was wondering what would I get paid while in University as Officer Cadet. Does my service as a reserve member has any bearing on my salary.
Thank you.

Trade/Occupation has nothing to do with it.  He will have some credit for his Reserve time and rank.  For an accurate payscale, you will have to talk to the CFRC and find out what they will offer you.

Nunavut Explorer said:
Hello

I an a ROTP applicant and going through selection process. I am also member of Reserve Forces and my rank is corporal. I was wondering what would I get paid while in University as Officer Cadet. Does my service as a reserve member has any bearing on my salary.
Thank you.

This is only anecdote, not data- but we had one Cpl in my PRes unit go to RMC some years back. He got paid as a RegF Cpl until his officer's pay finally surpassed it. I think carrying Cpl's pay over to ROTP might be one of the greatest barely heard of things out there. I was lucky and never short of class A or B work while in school, but making a real salary to do ROTP would just be phenomenal, especially if you're at all smart with money.

Nunavut Explorer said:
Hello

Thank you.
Brihard is correct. I'm not sure exactly how the pay scale carries over- whether you're paid the reg force rate for your former rank or not, but however they do it, you get paid a lot more than ROTP recruits off civi street.

eggert said:
What trades did you apply for?
What the hell does this matter?

If you look up CBI 204.211 on Google, it will explain the precise regulations. Suffice it to say that because you are a ResF Corporal, you will be paid as a RegF Corporal once you are transferred to ROTP as an OCdt/NCdt. Your IPC is dependant on how long you have been in rank, calculated by some fraction of your total Class A time, and all of your Class B time.

Edit: Spelling

Thank you very much for your replies. I searched the document mentioned  online and think following section section applies to  reserve to reg force officer cadet transfer.

204.211(10) (Officer Cadet – former non-commissioned member) An officer cadet who is appointed directly to that rank from a non-commissioned rank shall be paid:

if the member was a non-commissioned member of the Regular Force, at the rate of pay which, including any upward adjustments to the rates of pay determined under subparagraphs (i) and (ii) that may be established from time to time, and any upward adjustments resulting from the reallocation of the last military occupation in which the member served as a non-commissioned member to a higher trade group, is the greater of the rate of pay established for:
the rank, pay increment, pay level and trade group held on the day immediately prior to the date of appointment to the rank of officer cadet, or
any higher pay increment to which the member would have become entitled had the member remained in the former rank, pay level and trade group as a non-commissioned member; and
if the member was a former Regular Force member who re-enrolled or a member who transferred from the Reserve Force to the Regular Force, at the rate of pay, including any upward adjustments to the rates of pay, in CBI 204.30 (Pay – Non-commissioned members) for:
the rank, pay level and trade group that they would have received had they enrolled directly as a non-commissioned member as determined in orders or instructions issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff, at the pay increment determined by CBI 204.015 (Pay Increments); or
any higher pay increment to which the officer would have become entitled under CBI 204.015 (Pay Increments) had the officer remained in the former rank, pay level and trade group as a non-commissioned member.

now, I am trying to decipher it.

thanks again

Now that I've read it couple of time, it has started to make sense. I think I will be paid at reg force Cpl pay scale  after transition to Reg force O cadet.

how many years in do you have? I had 6 before I came to the ROTP I could share a round-about guess and some financial upsets to prepare for aswell

Back