• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CT -- Reserves into ROTP/RMC (merged)

I am a Reserve Naval Cdt. (Officer)  27 years old, I am looking to get into the ROTP program (Marine Engineering Officer). I have completed my BMOQ and MARS II and I also have completed most of my Engineering degree with only about two years left. I would like to know what pay scale I will fall under if I go to school under the ROTP program. I see on the pay scale:

A - ROTP (former CBI 204.2111 & 204.2151)
B - OCTP-NFS (former CBI 204.2113 & 204.2153)
C - DEO (former CBI 204.2114 & 204.2154)
D - UTP-NCM / OCTP-FS (former CBI 204.2112, 204.21135, 204.2152 & 204.21535)
E - CFR (former CBI 204.212)

I  cant find what each means exactly , so I am hoping for clarification. I hope I fall under the B - OCTP-NFS, as the "A" will be like a little bit more than a week pay for me, which is not viable.  This is an important fact for me because I am a professional Engineering Technologist with an established career in the in the privet sector with all my experience coming form supporting the Navy and I am confident ill be an asset in the Navy. I understand  I will be taking a large pay cut if I go ROTP but, I also want to finish my degree and be apart of the awesome organization that I came to like more and more through out my time in training at the fleet school. so can some one please tell me what I am really getting into here when it comes to the finances, I am confident that I understand other aspects of the sailors life, its just this pay thing that is stopping me from leaving the office and running away to the navy.

Best regards,
Adam

It will be indicated on your Msg informing you of your offer to join as to what Pay Scale you will be brought in under and what IP you will have. 

Right away you can eliminate the following:

E - CFR ..... as you will not be getting promoted from the ranks.

CBI 204.211(3) (Rate of pay – ROTP) An officer to whom the ROTP applies shall be paid, for each month after the month and year specified in the table, at the rate of pay established for the officer's rank and pay increment as follows

b.  subject to QR&O 203.20 (Officers – Regular Force – Limitation of Payments) , if an officer cadet with no former non-commissioned member service, in pay level A of Table A to this instruction.

Simply put, the same rate of pay that a newly hired ROTP applicant would be paid.

Also, factor in that while in the ROTP program, you won't have to pay tuition or any other education expenses (books, supplies).

Depening on where you live and are going to school, you would receive PLD. That's anywhere form 0 (Kingston) to something like $1500 in Toronto.

If you live with your parents, bonus!

Where are you going to school?

Hello,

Thank you for informative replies.

I have the choice to go to school in Thunder Bay, ON, or Cambridge, ON. Yes, if I am going to be under the class A pay which is very little I would like to choose the location that will have a PDL rate. I am from Ottawa originally and I heard the PDL is zero here. 

Adam0216 said:
Hello,

Thank you for informative replies.

I have the choice to go to school in Thunder Bay, ON, or Cambridge, ON. Yes, if I am going to be under the class A pay which is very little I would like to choose the location that will have a PDL rate. I am from Ottawa originally and I heard the PDL is zero here.

Call me a pedant, but there's a difference between what you would be paid and Class A pay.

My mistake "level A" pay. Not class A.

Unfortunately I am married and have a family, I mean unfortunate in this context. So $1500 a month will not cut it for me at all. If I were to get some thing like $3000 a month we can still live with not much of a drastic change in lifestyle.

I guess this ROTP is a freshmans game. 

It sad that the military can't recognize my qualification in the privet sector even though it's directly related.

If some one has any input to guide me to a positive outcome please share.

Thank you

Adam0216 said:

You may find this discussion of interest,

CT -- Reserves into ROTP/RMC (merged)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/19204.0
7 pages.

For future reference, perhaps "NAVRES to ROTP" and "CT -- Reserves into ROTP/RMC (merged)" will be merged.

Adam0216 said:
My mistake "level A" pay. Not class A.
Unfortunately I am married and have a family, I mean unfortunate in this context. So $1500 a month will not cut it for me at all. If I were to get some thing like $3000 a month we can still live with not much of a drastic change in lifestyle.
I guess this ROTP is a freshmans game. 
It sad that the military can't recognize my qualification in the privet sector even though it's directly related.
Thank you

Your options are rather limited here.  It's a good thing that you don't already hold a commission, because if you did, it would make you ineligible for a Component Transfer to ROTP.

that's  a surprise,

I will get Commissioned end if this summer with the successful completion of MARS 3. I was thinking that is a good thing for my ROTP as I might get a higher pay? are you saying officers who are commissioned cannot be in the ROTP program to get their degree?

if this is the case then what can a commissioned officer do to complete there degree with in the military? is there another program?

best,

If you don't have DWAN access, then you want to pay a visit to your Unit Orderly Room and ask for a copy of CANFORGEN 002/14.

The Readers Digest condensed version is........

OVER THE PAST DECADE, THE COMPONENT TRANSFER ROTP APPLICANT POOL HAS SEEN A SHIFT FROM RES F NCM S TO MORE SENIOR COMMISSIONED OFFICERS APPLYING FOR FULL-TIME SUBSIDIZED EDUCATION. AS THE PLAN WAS NEVER INTENDED TO ATTRACT COMMISSIONED OFFICERS, IT IS NECESSARY TO CLARIFY AND ESTABLISH ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA WITH RESPECT TO THE TYPES OF APPLICANTS WHO MAY APPLY FOR THE ROTP UNDER CFAO 9-12. EFFECTIVE 1 SEPTEMBER 2013, APPLICATION TO THE ROTP IS LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING TYPES OF APPLICANTS:

(A) CIVILIAN APPLICANTS

(B) RES F NCM S OR

(C) RES F OFFICERS WHO ARE HOLDING THE RANK OF OFFICER CADET/NAVAL CADET AND ARE UNQUALIFIED IN THEIR CURRENTLY ASSIGNED MILITARY OCCUPATION (I.E., WHO HAVE NOT REACHED THE OPERATIONALLY FUNCTIONAL POINT OF THEIR ASSIGNED MILITARY OCCUPATION)

OFFICERS HOLDING THE RANK OF SECOND LIEUTENANT/ACTING SUB-LIEUTENANT WHO HAVE NOT YET OBTAINED A DEGREE AND WISH TO APPLY FOR COMPONENT TRANSFER TO THE REG F MUST DO SO THROUGH THE CONTINUING EDUCATION OFFICER TRAINING PLAN - REGULAR FORCE (DAOD 5002-6)

I must Admit this forum is very good.

It might be wise for me to not do MARS 3 then, as I am not trying to be a MARS offer in the RegF anyway, I enjoy doing in the reserve and the actual  training is awesome for a hobby. Does any one know what are the chances of an applicant qualifying for ROTP and when they might find out of that fact? is it going to be before September? I have qualified for ROTP in 2013 but I decided to just join the reserve instead. this time I know I would go for it but, Unsure what the acceptance rate is for MSE officers as its no longer in demand.

Adam0216 said:
I must Admit this forum is very good.

We try our best and when in doubt  --->  http://www.ask8ball.net/

Thank you for the email, I did apply online already before the closing date now its me gauging how much time I have before I will have to leave work and what kind of saving I need to make till (If) I get accepted etc. I wonder If RegF will allow me to start school in the winter semester etc.

Adam0216 said:
Thank you for the email, I did apply online already before the closing date now its me gauging how much time I have before I will have to leave work and what kind of saving I need to make till (If) I get accepted etc. I wonder If RegF will allow me to start school in the winter semester etc.

In which case, you need to maintain contact with your Transfer Broker at DMCPG 5-2.  I trust you were already sent the link for the RMC Portal to complete your application and upload your current transcripts???

yes, I first requested a component transfer filled out the DWAN questionnaire then I received the link and I followed it and uploaded the transcripts but, I do not know nay thing about a Transfer Broker at DMCPG 5-2. no one contacted since I uploaded by transcripts. should I be looking for this broker?

Adam0216 said:
yes, I first requested a component transfer filled out the DWAN questionnaire then I received the link and I followed it and uploaded the transcripts but, I do not know nay thing about a Transfer Broker at DMCPG 5-2. no one contacted since I uploaded by transcripts. should I be looking for this broker?

YES, you need to get in touch with your Broker as soon as possible to find out what the results of your Academic Assessment were and just where your file stands.

For reference,

DAA said:
As an "active" serving NCM member of the PRes and if you wish to apply for ROTP, it is now considered to be a Component Transfer (ie; Res F to Reg F).  As a result, you won't be applying through your local Recruiting Detachment but rather online through the DMCPG 5-2 CT Portal, which you can do at your own leisure and through a DWAN Computer.  Your ROTP Application will be managed by DMCPG 5-2, who will provide you with the details and requirements after you have applied.

Your local Recruiting Detachment can't help you.

My son, currently in Gr 11, has applied to Reserves (infantry) and the process is moving along, just awaiting an interview.  His long term plan is to apply to RMC after his senior year to study military psychology. 

I have found an old thread regarding whether it is a mistake to apply to RMC as an reservist due to the length it takes for the component transfer. It apparently can either make the process longer or no problems whatsoever.  The posts were from 2010 so I am wondering if the component transfer delay is still an issue. He will be talking to his recruiter about it as well, but thought I would ask here while he is waiting to hear back.

These boards have been a fountain of information. Thank you. 

Back