• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CT -- Reserves into ROTP/RMC (merged)

Erik

Inactive
Reaction score
G'day folks I am Erik Bezpalko and I am 15.
After grade 10 I will be joining the army reserves as infantry.
Now, here is where my questions start.

Will there be any problems that you can forsee from going from the reserves to RMC or would I just have to tell whoever is in charge that I am going to RMC. Then too, graduating from RMC (as a officer combat engineer) would I still be considered part of the reserves and have to transfer or do I just go straight from RMC to the regular force? Thank you for reading this thread and even more so if you can answer my question.

P.S In the reserve, I need a clarification, I am 90% sure I can take basic training on the weekends or will I have to wait a year till next summer when I have plenty of spare time. (B-day is August 10 so basic training that summer would not happen)

Yes, there are coarses run on the weekends. You join the regular force before you even get to RMC.

Erik,

you are actually asking about a number of different programs. I will try to respond to the different issues you have raised.

You are considering joining the Reserves once you meet the eligibility requirement while you are still in high school.  You may want to read through threads of interest in the Recruiting Forum for a better understanding of the recruiting process and possible issues you may meet:

Recruiting FAAQ - http://army.ca/forums/threads/17073.0.html

Joining the Reserves as a soldier while in High School is a good way to get an introduction to the military. Many Reserve units do run Basic Military Qualification (BMQ) training on weekends through the school year, and you can attend other training course during the summers.

Once you get to the senior year of high school, if your intentions are to attend RMC, then your military career path will be changing significantly. Officer candidates at RMC are members of the Regular Force (not the Reserves). You will have to return to the Recruiting centre and repeat the Recruiting process as an applicant for the Regular Force. Keep in mind that being a serving Reserve soldier does not speed up this process, if anything it can slow the process because of the requirements for a Component Transfer. See the Recruiting FAQ links on Component Transfers and on Officers for more information to start your research with. Be prepared to start your application for the transfer and consideration or RMC very early in your senior year, to allow the Recruiting System to complete the steps it must put your file through.

Remember that your Reserve service will not be a significant factor for your selection as a candidate for officer training and attendance at RMC to the point where other perceived deficiencies would be waived. Your scholastic abilities and your general presentation as a well-rounded citizen with leadership potential and a variety of personal and inter-personal skills will be more important. No matter how much you may enjoy and wish to dedicate time and energy to your Reserve service, don't let these other factors slip to the point where they might undermine your application.

Good luck with your plans.

Michael OLeary said:
Officer candidates at RMC are members of the Regular Force (not the Reserves).

Actually, you can attend RMC through the RETP:

http://www.rmc.ca/admission/plans/retp_e.html

Okay then, thank you all for the replys.

So I in the first month of grade 12 I will go to the recruiter and apply for RMC and the regular force at the same time. I assume I will have to take BMQ again and that I after all is said and done that there is a good chance that I would not be finished BMQ by the time RMC time rolls around.
Actually, would I not just take BMQ with the rest of the 1st year RMC students?
If I was in BMQ while it was time to go to RMC would I have to wait to join next year and re-apply?

BMQ is for NCMs, I don't know what the new officer basic training is called but you'll do it the summer before you start 1st year so after grade 12. Just ask the recruiter about RMC and time frames when you should apply, etc when you go ask about the reserves.

Cheers

When applying for ROTP you can go straight to your nearest CFRC for application, you don't have to do a component transfer request through your unit.  The difference is that the CFRC initiates the application, bypasses the unit and you move through the system as fast as a civilian applicant.

How am I clearing out of my unit when I transfer to ROTP? I need to have this all done by 21st June, and they called me this week and didn't actually specify how I clear out (and I can't get a hold of my recruiter).

Am I quitting the reserves or doing a CT?

According to my joining instructions, ROTP candidates who were previosuly in the CF need to bring their issued kit with them. So that wounds like I'm clearing out of my unit as if I was doing a CT to the reg force. Or am I quitting and rejoining?

It sounds like a stupid question, but its two different processs and I don't want to bugger it up (I have less then two weeks to do this).

If anyone can actually tell me what I need when I clear out of my unit for ROTP, it would be appreciated (what forms am I bringing etc). Because no one can tell me SFU.

Your unit will have to advise you. There are general guidelines, but nothing nationally that determines what you have to do. For example, some kit is held by the unit, the type of which is different for PRes than Reg - i.e. in the Reg force your ruck may be something that is personal issue, but in a PRes unit it may be a Temp Loan as the kit is "owned" by the unit.

Basically, anything you signed on a temp loan card will have to be turned in. Fitted and "next-to-skin" (uniform stuff usually) items will probably be retained, but only your unit can tell you what you can keep.

Acorn

Phone the clothing stores where you were actually issued and signed for your kit. Discuss the problem with them.
Ask for a certified copy of your clothing documents. That way you can both check it against what you have now, and you
can bring it with you to show both what you already have, and what you were not issued.

If memory serves, there is (was) a way for them to transfer the clothing docs to the new supporting base/unit. Basically
striking off your clothing from their account and adding your card to the recieving units account.  Things may be different
now.

As already mentioned, items from your unit QM stores and on temp cards will have to be returned.  Ensure you return them
and have the cards torn up or zero'd off. You don't want a wayward temp issue card coming back to bite you later on for
kit you don't have anymore.

Your unit should have some form of out clearance procedure or card.

You don't CT and you don't quit.  Clear out of the unit and provide proof that you have done so to your CFRC/D.  During the ROTP enrolment ceremony you will not be sworn in again but given a certificate indicating your acceptance into ROTP.  Going from the reserves to ROTP is not a transfer.

Get someone at the CFRC to call your unit and tell them to clear you out of the unit and provide you with an update 1007.  You have to turn in all loan card kit then.  If you are going to be in the same element in ROTP as you were in the reserves then you can keep your clothing.  However, if you are not then you have to get rid of your element clothing now because St Jean does not have time to freak around with clothing transfers.  If you unit is such a pain in the ass then tell them you want the CT clearing out done then.

And as to the swearing in thingy, they said I am getting sworn in (asked me if I wanted a bible or not) and, this is cool, my dad gets to swear me in.

Impossible you can't be sworn into the CF if you are already in it.  Ask them to clarify.

Okay, I can only tell you what we do in my own unit for pers going to the Reg F.  When someone needs to clear the unit because they are transferring (be it to the Reg F or another unit) they need to return their Regimental kit only.  The other kit stays with them and as clothing docs are electronic now, the docs will follow them.  For the rest of the unit, you should be given an outclearance sheet (preferably the same one you cleared in with).  It will have the places you need to clear out of, such as the Coy, Ops and Trg, Pam Library, Finance, Kit Shop etc.  So, what you need to do is see those people and get them to sign off that you don't owe anything to those areas.  That you don't have keys, Pams etc that belong to the unit.  That you don't owe the kit shop money.  Make sense?  When you go to get sworn in, you will bring a copy of that outclearance sheet and your 1007 with you.
Hope that helps.

kincanucks said:
You don't CT and you don't quit.   Clear out of the unit and provide proof that you have done so to your CFRC/D.   During the ROTP enrolment ceremony you will not be sworn in again but given a certificate indicating your acceptance into ROTP.   Going from the reserves to ROTP is not a transfer.

When I went to Reg force officer from the reserve NCM side, I was told by CFRC Vancouver that I had to get out of the forces. I literally had to have my sec clearance cancelled, ALL my kit was turned in, and I cleared out of my old unit one day, just to be sworn in the next day by CFRC Vancouver.

Feral said:
When I went to Reg force officer from the reserve NCM side, I was told by CFRC Vancouver that I had to get out of the forces. I literally had to have my sec clearance cancelled, ALL my kit was turned in, and I cleared out of my old unit one day, just to be sworn in the next day by CFRC Vancouver.
And this was through ROTP?

When I transferred (or whatever), from reserves to ROTP, I was sworn in again.  On 25 Aug, I was in the navy reserve, 26 Aug I was reg force.  I had to return all my kit because I was changing elements. 

Well so much for Standardized Processing.  As far as I am concerned there is no need for Reserve members going to ROTP to be released and re-enrolled again.  I have not done that in four years of ROTP processing but I can see that it is happening elsewhere and it is definitely something that I will/need to  check out with CFRG HQ about.  Whatever I learn, I will post here for future reference.

I will be posting a poll (if I can figure it out) to determine how prevalent the re-enrolment of reserves going to ROTP is.

On a previous thread it has been mentioned that some reservists were required to release from the reserves and turn in all their kit in order to be sworn in again for ROTP.  The policy in my CFRC/D (and what I thought was the CFRG wide policy) is that the reservist must clear out of their reserve unit, turn in all non-environmental kit, turn in all environmental kit if they are not going to be in the same environment in ROTP and to obtain a up-to-date CF 1007.  During the ROTP Enrolment Ceremony, the member is not sworn in again but is publicly acknowledged that they are now in the regular force vice the reserve force. 

If you were a reservist and have gone to ROTP I would appreciate your feedback and if I have missed a poll choice please let me know. Also could you please post what CFRC/D you went through.  Cheers.

The Unit is not necessarily bypassed. My experiance is that CFRC will tell you to do a normal release through your unit, with the release being effective the day before your swearing-in ceremony is scheduled. This disables the long wait times for component transfers as you will be applying as a civilian for you will be civilian for 24 hours before becoming reg. force.

As for reserve experiance...it can show the recruiters that you can indeed handle military courses, as they can lose a lot of people who simply quit due to a sort of 'culture shock'. Personally, I was still accepted, even with sub-par grades (below the recommended 'minimum' standard). However, this came with quite a bit of leadership experiance through school and the community, as well as sports, coaching and reserve experiance.

I handed in my application in October and had all my testing done by December. The deadline I believe is early February. In any event your CFRC will nicely walk you through everything like the lovely maternal organisation they are. ;)

cheers

It was hinted to me that one of the reasons I was made to release and re-enroll is so that there is no more vested right to pay. Therefore they pay OCdt wages instead of what you used to make. Not first hand info mind you but it makes sense.

Back