• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Communicator Research

Mud Recce Man said:
My other question is how many people wash out or tap out during the MOC course??  Is there lots of people that don't like it or can't do it??

I know one guy who washed out, good guy, but he just really didn't have a head for it.  The rest of us did fine.  It's really a multi-faceted trade, if you want to sit in front of a computer you're good to go.  OR... if you love the field there are lots of possibilities as well.  Some of subject matter is a little meaty, but it's not hard hard.  The cool thing is the instructors are all really good, they can dumb things down a whole lot.  The course is very passable. 

Sneaky147;

I’ve got a few questions kicking around that I’d love to have answered.

I’m currently sitting around waiting in PRETC until my course begins. What would you best suggest for me to study for preparation?

Also

I’m am exclusive to the English language and I want to go to language school once the opportunity presents itself. Do you think it would be better for my career to maybe put my attention towards maybe learning a foreign language opposed to French.

Thanks for you’re time

cl

_cl_ said:
Sneaky147;

I’ve got a few questions kicking around that I’d love to have answered.

I’m currently sitting around waiting in PRETC until my course begins. What would you best suggest for me to study for preparation?

Also

I’m am exclusive to the English language and I want to go to language school once the opportunity presents itself. Do you think it would be better for my career to maybe put my attention towards maybe learning a foreign language opposed to French.

Thanks for you’re time

cl

Hey,

Ahhh, PRETC... I did 9 months there myself... me heart goes out to you dude...

Math and morse code... here's why.

They should be giving out your math packs soon if they haven't already.  Make sure you get it down.  You'll need at least an 80% to stay in the trade.  Don't panic, the math isn't that hard... it just might need more attention from some than others.  If you don't get an 80% they'll givce you one retest, mess than and you're out of the trade.  Take it seriously.  WO Jackson (I think he's still there) has the math packs.  Get one from him.  If he doesn't know what you're talking about, let me know and I'll see if I can get you one. 

Second, Morse Code.  It is not a trade requirement anymore.  That means they teach it at the school but they can't kick you out for not knowing it anymore.  All the better reason to know it.  It's a huge pain in the ass... I'm talking an island-sized pain in the ass, but if you can get a headstart you'll be golden.  I'm serious, it WILL pay off.  Plus, you'll have a better chance of getting a good position sooner if you can prove you can work the morse bay.  There's still a good chance you'll end up there.  I was good at the morse bay and I got an awesome position in a different section very early. 

Don't worry about the language thing.  English is the working laguage of the trade, and not knowing French isn't going to hurt you in the short term.  Don't listen to what anyone at PRETC says, they don't know a thing about the trade.  At least no one who was there when I was.  If you want a language course there are plenty of resources after you get on station to get one done. 

How long have you been in Borden, and when are you due to start your 3's?  Another suggestion, MAKE SURE YOUR CLEARANCE PAPERS ARE IN ORDER.  It could mean having your clearance when you get to Kingston, or waiting 2 years.  Make sure it's done correctly. 

I'd be happy to help you with anything you need help with.  Any questions at all, just email me and I'll help you if I can. 

Take it ez and welcome to the trade...

sneaky147,

I've been accepted as a Comm Rsch Op. I leave on the 3rd of July for BMQ at Saint Jean and 13 weeks later or so I start MOC training in Kingston. I was approved very quickly and rushed into a 'surge' BMQ course. In the last month I've been sworn in and completed my Security Clearance Form. It checks out at CFRC which brings me to my questions; Is my Lvl III complete? Does it have to be complete before Kingston? How long on avg. does it take to clear? Am I mothballed after BMQ or MOC until it does before my posting upon completion?

Thanks

Hey Sleepy,

It takes a really long time, unfortunately, to get your lvl III.  I hate to be the one who breaks it to you, but you're looking at least a year.  That's just the time it takes right now to get a lvl III.  You can start your QL3 (MOC training) without your lvl III, but you need it to start Phase 2 of your QL3's.  Don't worry, they'll keep you busy until then.  Just focus on your BMQ.  Until then, if you have any questions, just let me know.   

I definitely agree with Sneaky147. Study the Math and Morse code while at PRETC.

As far as failing out of the Phase one, it is mostly handled based on the individual. If you have the drive and are putting in the effort, then they'll give you a chance to improve where you're having trouble, ie. math.

The course is now approx 53 training days for phase One. Three weeks of math. (STUDY THE PACKAGE if you're not too comfortable with the subjects in it)
and the rest is typing and Morse and a few days of General Communication (Unclassified version). We're the 2nd class going through this shortened time frame.
The new Morse code standard is 10 WPM. and typing is 21wpm.

And try and learn your Morse alphabet from those flash crads they give you at PRETC. It'll REALLY help!

It takes a really long time, unfortunately, to get your lvl III.  I hate to be the one who breaks it to you, but you're looking at least a year.  That's just the time it takes right now to get a lvl III.

Unfortunately, youre right.  A couple of years back, it was decided that the Sig Op trade only needed Secret when they left their 3's.  When they got to their units and tried to start playing with TCCCS, a large majority required Top Secret.  This created a  huge back log in getting the clearances completed on time.  Even for an update it takes a crazy amount of time.  My last update is still processing and im at 4 months in waiting.  Most trades understand the backlog and shouldnt hold you back on any courses, provided the paperwork is in.

Sneaky147 said:
No, I promise that you won't all go crazy from weird radio waves. 

So just some? I want a percentage.

I have never seen any 291 below Cpl deployed, are they deploying Pte's now too? So with PAT, clearances, promotion etc wouldn't it be a few years at least till you go overseas?

I appreciate the info gentlemen. If Phase One is 53 days and I need Lvl III for Phase two that must explain the 45 week training period in Kingston after BMQ. I can stand to languish in Kingston. Got a thing for sailing and I look forward to the math and I learned morse code in high school.

Thanks again.

To echo Sneaky's comments, this trade rules....I'm getting ready to deploy right now as a 29 weiner...should be fun.
Here's some good advice though:
- Don't come off your QL3 expecting to deploy right away, get your QL5 done, then volunteer.  We're not in the habit of deploying non 5's qualified folks unless we have to.  It happened in the past because the QL5 package was only recently offered. 
- Don't believe everything you hear about the trade and Leitrim....develop your own opinions.
- Though we are called secret squirrels, don't go around thinking that we're James Bonds....we do an important job for the CF and you should'nt expect credit for it, as most of the public will never know what we do.

My two cents

The recruiter told me that this trade would be a good choice since I know 5 languages. Was he right or are languages merely a minor part of the job?

Temoid said:
The recruiter told me that this trade would be a good choice since I know 5 languages. Was he right or are languages merely a minor part of the job?

If you know 5 languages then this may very well be the trade for you.  I know some people who have been given some very nice taskings because they knew a few languages.  The biggest thing I'd remember is that being multi-lingual may open a few doors for you, but it doesn't entitle you to anything.  I've seen a few people attract lots of unecessary attention to themselves because they figured they'd just go be a linguist and skip all the entry jobs that privates get.  For sure let people know that you have linguistic abilities, but do your job. 

I'd consider this trade, it may really give you a chance to do your thing.  I know quite a few linguists, and they're all good to hang with.  If you have any questions, fire away, I'd be happy to help you.

Inspir said:
What do you think about the new Communicator Research Operator recruiting video:
http://64.254.158.112/videos/high/291_en.wmv

Gives the trade justice?

Hard to say.  It's definitely not BAD... much much better than the last one.  Problem is that the only thing that has any meat to it in the video is that it IS a real hush-hush trade.  If you like figuring stuff out, and doing stuff that 99% of people never get to do, than I'd give this trade an honest shot. 

I look at it like this...

I asked myself "Do I want to look back and think that I passed up the chance to do top-secret work for the military in a secure facility?  Or do I want to look back glad that I it?" 

After that it was easy.  I'm very glad I did.

How many people are working at Wal-Mart making $7.00/hr who would kill to do this kind of work?

Any clearer?

as an LCIS, ill be repairing that equipment that the Comm. Researchers use, correct?

Maybe.....Maybe not.  They sometimes have custom built stuff that you would not be qualified to tinker with.

techie said:
as an LCIS, ill be repairing that equipment that the Comm. Researchers use, correct?

It's possible, I don't really know for sure.  I haven't met any LCIS techs around the station.  Lots of other techs.  But that doesn't mean they aren't there... LCIS is still a really good trade whether you fix our stuff or not, if you're an LCIS Tech, good on 'ya!

I was a tech in comm research for over twenty years and yes we fix most of the equipment. You may even have a hand in building certain projects. I had the pleasure of building and installing in Alert the first remote system to Leitrim. You will never run out of things to fix.

Regards OLD F of S

hahahaha yeah us 291ers are very good at breaking things too :)  but hey, someone has to keep those crafty techies busy... :warstory:

Back