• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Communicator Research

Sneaky147

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

If anyone has any questions about becoming a Communicator Research Operator, let me know.  I've been one for 3 years, and I find there are many, many misconceptions about this trade.  It's a really great trade and I enjoy it a lot.  I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about it.

Cheers

Is it true that you all go crazy from the weird radio waves?  >:D

291ers 4 eva

We do work in partnership with the CSE in some ways I guess, it would really depend on who you asked as to what answer you got.  It's not uncommon for 291ers to retire and you end up seeing them there.

Good question though...

Is there ample opportunities for deployments overseas?

Yes there definitely are.  Right now I have quite a few friends in Afghanistan, and several other areas in theatre.  I also have friends who were in Haiti and Sudan. 

In your first post you mentioned that there are many misconceptions about this trade. What misconceptions would you be referring to?

Mostly that we don't deploy, we sit and copy morse code all day, and that we go up to Alert all the time, among others.  Truth be told, we deploy a lot (I'm TOLD we're the 2nd most deployed trade per capita in the forces right now), we do very, very little morse code these days (it's been phased out as a trade requirement), and we don't go to Alert at all anymore.  

In your opinion, what skills and attributes are required to be a successfull communicator research operator?

Sneaky147 said:
and we're using some very sexy kit to do it. 

Such as...?  Or as much detail as you can talk about with it.

The recruiting site still has morse code on it.  Has it been officially phased out yet?  And I assume by that speed that it was by sound?  As well, it mentions "signals intelligence math".  WTF ???  Obviously more to it then subtracting 1.8 to get the window frequency. LOL

*edited to add more questions.

What clearance level do you have to have minimum?  I have looked at your trade some, currently in the process of CTing to 226 but, I have looked at yours as well.  Just curious, I have a Lev II and would probably have to go to atleast Lev III or higher I bet.

Many 291'ers posted to Air Force bases??

Inspir said:
In your opinion, what skills and attributes are required to be a successfull communicator research operator?

A good 291er, in my opinion should have a good head for concepts lending themselves to linear thinking.  There is a lot of analysis in the job, and I think it's extremely important to be able to think logically (i.e. - "If I do this, than THIS should happen.  If it doesn't, why?)  I think the most valuable trait a good 291er has is inherent curiosity.  Just having the drive to stick your nose into something and figure out who's talking or what's going on would carry somone a long way in this trade.  Having a drive to know makes the learning easy...

Also, a good sense of humor is great.  Many of us are shifty's and being able to crack a joke makes a midnight shift a lot easier!  I don't think I've met smarter funnier people anywhere like in the 291er trade.  You get everybody...

navymich said:
Such as...?  Or as much detail as you can talk about with it.

The recruiting site still has morse code on it.  Has it been officially phased out yet?  And I assume by that speed that it was by sound?  As well, it mentions "signals intelligence math".  WTF ???  Obviously more to it then subtracting 1.8 to get the window frequency. LOL

*edited to add more questions.

Unfortunately, most of the systems are classified.  I'd really be hesitant posting something on the net about it.  Sorry.

Morse code is still taught in the school, but I understand that now it's not something they will normally fail you on.  It used to be a course requirement to receive 16wpm by sound.  Taught yes, required no.  Bear in mind that if someone is a thorn in their side, that might be their ace to turf them. 

Signals intelligence math is a math package that is largely self-taught right at the very beginning of training.  It consists of very basic math (fractions, exponents) to mid-level algebra, geometry, and logarithms.  It's not that bad, I know people who struggle with math and they all pass it.  It serves 2 purposes.  One, to weed out those who just aren't going to hack the analytical aspect of training, and two, when learning radio theory and what a signal is the mathematical component of it is beneficial.  If you aren't a math geek, don't worry, instructors do their best to make sure training aids and help are available.  Plus, most classes have a few guys who can do math in their sleep.   

Sneaky147 said:
Unfortunately, most of the systems are classified.  I'd really be hesitant posting something on the net about it.  Sorry.

Figured as much, but thank you for the rest of the information.  Sounds like a great trade, I'm just not big on the IT stuff, and that's one of the reasons I'm CTing out of my current trade.

Mud Recce Man said:
What clearance level do you have to have minimum?  I have looked at your trade some, currently in the process of CTing to 226 but, I have looked at yours as well.  Just curious, I have a Lev II and would probably have to go to atleast Lev III or higher I bet.

Many 291'ers posted to Air Force bases??

All 291ers who work in OPS have at least a level III with caveats.  With security being what it is, I won't go into what the caveats are or what they're called.  It's the same level of security, but provides access to different areas of classified information.  It does take longer than a normal lvl III to get, sometimes considerably longer.  If you do need a clearance like this, get your paperwork in as early as possible and make sure it's complete and filled out right the first time.  

I don't know of any 291ers who are posted to any Air Force bases.  We don't do much with the operation of aircraft.  I'll ask around and see if their are billets in Air Force Bases.  

My other question is how many people wash out or tap out during the MOC course??  Is there lots of people that don't like it or can't do it??

Back