• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Communicator Research

Darien said:
any information i have posted can be found on google if you search hard enough, just in responce to the message above about OPSEC.

As you may say, but the WARNING is there to ensure that what you do post is within the guidelines of OPSEC in case you should stray outside of what is posted as OPEN SOURCE.

BE WARNED to watch what you post.

(PS.  Don't try to be a smartass with the Staff.)

sigtech said:
Just so you know Comm. Research do not handle Network Support that is spread threw the Sig Op and LCIS trades on the army side and ATIS on the air side. This is also true with computer repair datacomms and most things dealing with direct support for computer systems.

As for what Comm. Research members do other then wait for their clearances I haven’t a clue :)

Aye, I understand completely ;).  I am looking forward to waiting for clearance.

Sneaky147 said:
Hey all,

If anyone has any questions about becoming a Communicator Research Operator, let me know.  I've been one for 3 years, and I find there are many, many misconceptions about this trade.  It's a really great trade and I enjoy it a lot.  I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about it.

Cheers

When I asked my recruiter if the position was open, he said that there was 0 for air, something like 5 for army and 25 for Navy.  I didn't realize you had to apply for a specific faction.  I'm interested in the Navy, so would I still be given the Soldier Qualification training or would they replace that with something more geared for the Navy like Basic Military Occupational Training?

I'm wondering if you could go into more detail what the Navy faction would be like.  Would I be assigned to a ship briefly or would it more likely be long term?  Would I live either in Halifax or Esquimalt?  Would I go out to sea like everyone else would on the ship? 

Thanks!

tempest77 said:
When I asked my recruiter if the position was open, he said that there was 0 for air, something like 5 for army and 25 for Navy.  I didn't realize you had to apply for a specific faction.  I'm interested in the Navy, so would I still be given the Soldier Qualification training or would they replace that with something more geared for the Navy like Basic Military Occupational Training?

I'm wondering if you could go into more detail what the Navy faction would be like.  Would I be assigned to a ship briefly or would it more likely be long term?  Would I live either in Halifax or Esquimalt?  Would I go out to sea like everyone else would on the ship? 

Thanks!
You don't apply for an element, you apply for the trade.  They may give you the option of which element you want to serve in, I wasn't given a choice but I know of someone else who was.

All 291's get SQ training and pretty soon all new recruits will be getting SQ regardless of their trade,  due to SQ being absorbed into BMQ training (if I recall correctly).

Once we are done waiting for clearance and finished training we are assigned to CFS Leitrim (outside Ottawa).  I can't say to what extent we are deployed, going to have to wait for someone more in the know than I.

Unless all 291's are Army(which they aren't) then your statement about SQ  is completely wrong. SQ is for ARMY trades, not specific trades.

When you put in your application, you are given the option of which element you wish to be in. If you choose Army(and there are openings in the army element of your trade), then you will do SQ, if not, I'm sure there are other element specific training that you will have to do.

291 is a purple trade, a support trade. Which element you are has little to do with where you do tours or soon, which training you do. I have 3 friends in Astaan right now and none of them are army and i have one army friend on nato tour on ship. Where you go depends on what you are trained on, not what element you are.
As far as training, we just had a CM briefing last week and every 291er will do AT LEAST 2 tours with 2 EW before your SGTs, and all will do military SQ and JLQ.
Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers.

Former291er said:
...every 291er will do AT LEAST 2 tours with 2 EW before your SGTs, and all will do military SQ and JLQ.

I stand corrected...

Yep being purple a 291'r can go to any base and be placed in any position that is required for there trade if they are trained on the equipment needed

sigtech said:
Just so you know Comm. Research do not handle Network Support that is spread threw the Sig Op and LCIS trades on the army side and ATIS on the air side. This is also true with computer repair datacomms and most things dealing with direct support for computer systems.

As for what Comm. Research members do other then wait for their clearances I haven’t a clue :)

I am pretty sure I was on course with some 291'rs from CFNOC on some pretty "network support" courses.  Recently too...as in...the last year.  Did this change??  This was Enterprise NOS type stuff too.  Curious...

Oh.  Pretty sure means...ya they were 291'rs.... ;D

Mud Recce Man said:
I am pretty sure I was on course with some 291'rs from CFNOC on some pretty "network support" courses.  Recently too...as in...the last year.  Did this change??  This was Enterprise NOS type stuff too.  Curious...

Oh.  Pretty sure means...ya they were 291'rs.... ;D

Mud Recce Man is absolutely right. We have different places you can work within leitrim, and i'm sure other places, where a member is heavily involved in the networking side of things.
Cheers.

I have never seen any 291'er course loaded on any Network courses here at CFSCE, also I know a few techs from CFCMU that go to Ottawa on a regular basis to conduct Network maintenance.

I could be wrong but from what I know from the tech side it isn't part of there job description.

Now when it comes to network work there is a huge peeing match bettween sigops LCIS and ATIS, who does what , who is suppose to be doing what etc etc etc , so could 291'ers be doing this kind of work, sure they could , should they well that is best left for a different thread.

Not to belabour the point but:

A Communicator Research Operator has the following primary duties:

-  Collect, process, analyze and report on electromagnetic activity (including communications) throughout the spectrum of radio frequencies, using an extensive array of highly sophisticated communications and direction-finding equipment;

Work in a computer network environment as a System Manager or System Administrator with UNIX, Windows and NT systems, and on occasion with the
hardware components of local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs);

-  Apply security and communications knowledge in the information technology field;

-  Serve aboard ship and on overseas deployments; and

-  Use and maintain records and publications.

Straight from:  Comms Research Op. Overview: Recruiting Website

ummmmmmm that is recruiting site isn't it .

BTW they lie

I put this out here how many guys from the RcR do people know that when they first got in were asked:

Hey you like to go camping and hunting right?
Sure do I love that stuff?
Then you don't want to join the Air Force you want to join the combat arms, they go camping all the time...............

What is my point ,oh ya what you read on those sites or are told at the recruiting center is passable what you will be doing.

I have never once seen "sweep the parade square" or stack 6' tables on one poster or website  ;D

Then blame the managing authorities for the shitty info.  All the info on the websites, RIAs and videos at CFRCs are originally from each managing authority.  So if the comms stuff is all lies, then blame the comms guys cause they came up with what they wanted on that stuff.

C'mon Sigtech, read the boatswain info monograph.  Brutally honest about painting and sweeping the ship  ;D 

Hey now I didn't say it was all lies

I am saying don't swallow it hole and expect it to be all true

What the managing authorities write could be true in a perfect world but we are steering off topic I believe

My main point is this as far as what I have seen and know to be truth is there are allot of people with there fingers in the pie when it comes to Network stuff.

Wiring , Techs set up network wiring and such, Linemen say it is their job
Sigops act a system admins, techs say it is their job
Some Network shops depending on who is in charge only want ATIS Techs stating let the LCIS guys handle the green stuff
And So on and So on
There is no clear line on who handles what when it comes to Network Admin side of things
There in-lies the issue, it all depends where you end up
Take at 2EW who handles the 291's equipment repair etc etc LCIS techs.
I am sure there are places where the security level is such that they handle administration locally I am saying it isn't the "norm" .

that is all

Sorry if it came off a little defensive.  Not my intent.  Actually you do have a valid point.  A few years ago I visited the school in Kingston on a PD trip.  I learned more there than I ever did through videos or info brochures.  The biggest beef was the math requirement for Comms Research types.  The complaint was that the grade 10 requirement didn't cut it anymore.  I also learned that linemen do as much if not more PT than CBT arms types on their course and that the fear of heights was big factor in people getting RTUed.

Very eye opening.

Not true for Boatswains.  Most of the Naval techies that fail their training end up getting that  ;D

I initially spoke with a recruiting officer back at the start of November. My initial interests were Comm Research and Sig OP. The Recruiting Officer said that if I wanted to be deployed, and have a trade that was "exciting and active", that I would not enjoy Comm Research. I ended up applying for Sig Op, I am currently Merit Listed and anxiously awaiting "the call". I wonder if the Recruiting Officers just try to suggest the trades with the most need, as I am very suprised to hear that Comm Research is the 2nd most deployed trade, what would be the first? Infranty?

hmmmmmmmmm 1st most deployed trade I don't know Sigop

I didn't think 291'ers deployed that much

I know that sigops are deployed all the time and if you end up at JSR in kingston expect to be gone alot alot alot

Guys, what is the Variable Initial Engagement duration for this trade? (I hope I stated that correctly.)
Thanks.

Back