• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Communicator Research

The trade is still in the back of my mind, not letting the thought die out completely yet.  I guess a couple of things going for me: already have a level III, and I can type about 85 WPM.  Question though, how easy is it to transfer your knowledge of morse code by light (10 WPM) to sound?

Hard to say, you start out by learning it on cards, so I suppose it would'nt hurt......10 wpm is pretty slow anyhow, you should be alright.....It's a great trade, just get through the QL3 and you're laughing, so many different things to do in this trade, it's amazing.

I don't have time to get the math pack before i go on course in kingston, what type of math is on the test

randyh81 said:
I don't have time to get the math pack before i go on course in kingston, what type of math is on the test

Hey,

Know fractions, scientific notation, trig, algebraic equations, logarithms... I think that's it.  Anyway, if you have at least a basic knowledge of these which most people do then you're laughing.  The book they give you in Kingstonis pretty good and it lays things out fairly well. 

Good luck!

navymich said:
how easy is it to transfer your knowledge of morse code by light (10 WPM) to sound?

There's a ex-NavComm on my course, and he was doing 16wpm by light. With a short break at PRETC, and a few weeks here without doing Morse, he started at around 6wpm easily, and is wokring on 9wpm now all within 4 weeks. He has mentioned that since he knew the alphabet it helped, but it's different because you use completely differnet senses.

Sneaky,

Does Leitrim have any Comm Rsch Reservists or are they all with 763? (Not that they are that far from me, just curious)

I'm looking to apply over 6 years of IT experience to a trade in the Reserves and have had a bit of trouble finding info on the trade. (Well, actually, for some reason Sig Op was suggested to me.) I was told by the recruiting centre a while back that I could go in semi-skilled as a Sig Op but that didn't seem to be as much of an IT trade as Comm Rsch. It sounds like Comm Rsch is much more IT orientated or am I wrong? (Forgive my lack of knowledge, just trying to find out which one is a better fit for someone with my experience.)

Thanks in advance.

MikeG said:
Sneaky,

Does Leitrim have any Comm Rsch Reservists or are they all with 763? (Not that they are that far from me, just curious)

I'm looking to apply over 6 years of IT experience to a trade in the Reserves and have had a bit of trouble finding info on the trade. (Well, actually, for some reason Sig Op was suggested to me.) I was told by the recruiting centre a while back that I could go in semi-skilled as a Sig Op but that didn't seem to be as much of an IT trade as Comm Rsch. It sounds like Comm Rsch is much more IT orientated or am I wrong? (Forgive my lack of knowledge, just trying to find out which one is a better fit for someone with my experience.)

Thanks in advance.

Hey,

There are no reservce 291ers in Leitrim.  With the shift system it just wouldn't work.  As far as the IT goes, SigOp IS more of an IT trade in one facet, as there is some IT training on their 3's.  291ers have no IT training save for some basic UNIX segments done.  Now, that being said, there is a segment of the 291 trade that looks after our IT sector, and yet another that does 'other stuff'.  You would'nt just walk in with an IT background and rock out with these guys though, specialized training would be necessary.  This is why an IT background would qualify you as 'semi-skilled' as a SigOp but not as a 291er.  291ers are more operators than anything, but if your chain of command finds out you are capable of writing scripts and that kind of thing, you'd get brownie points, but we are more or less operators and we don't mess with settings or software. 

Hope that answers your question.

Furthermore to Sneaky's comment....the idea is to eventually get reservists from 763 at Leitrim to backfill certain positions.  The problem being, first they'll have to get trained up over 3 summers, and secondly, they'll have to get their clearance, so this is more of a long term goal.  I could see it happening.  One exception, reg force 291ers who retire and become reservists, thereby retaining their skillsets and clearances.  There is one such 291er working at Leitrim (CFIOG) right now in this capacity. 
Whether these reservists will compliment the shift system, that remains to be seen.  I suspect so, we'll get reservists on class B contracts, and they'll have to work shift work throughout the summer.  It would certainly help with summer leave blocks as well.  I think it will be a good thing in the long run, once we get it off the ground.  It's still in its embryonic stages now, but hopefully we'll see some progress in the near future. 

The first group of 291 Reserves is going through their first summer - started a couple of weeks ago. According to the recruiting site, it's supposed to be a 2 summer program. Some of this batch already have their clearance and some of them were to be Sig Op Res, but hadn't done their 3's yet. The curriculum seems the same as Reg, without the Morse Code.

Thanks a lot for the replies; I'll head to the CFRC Monday and discuss it with them. Although I might be out of luck for this summer or this year for that matter. I thought 763 only offers Basic in the summer or am I wrong?

Cheers and thanks again everybody.

Mike

Are all 291's employed in the Ottawa Area, or is there other  places to be posted? My family lives in the Ottawa area and I would like to stick around there once I'm done my course in kingston (Re-enlisting after a little over a year out of Infantry).

Is the Course in Kingston full of stuff like kit/room Inspections, parades, and other superfluous tasks, or is it pretty easy going for that stuff?

Nice topic, glad it got bumped.  This is the trade I was offered today and to be honest it was my second choice and I just pulled it off the wall without really looking at it so my knowledge of it isn't that great.

I was a little bummed out about not getting my first choice but I am actually finding this one piquing my interest.

@ Gelan:  From what I can gather all newbies are sent to the Ottawa area.

I understand that "new guys" get sent to Ottawa(Leitrim) but what's the chances of sticking around there? or in the area? I was all over the place in the Infantry, and just want to know what kind of stability there is in this trade...

Off topic:

What was your first choisce, Mithras?

First choice was "Water, Fuels and Environmental Technician".  I spent three + years studying Environmental Protections so I was gunning for that position (would have helped me finish my co-op too).

I have education in Network Support and extensive knowledge with regards to computers so parts of Comm. Research shouldn't be too foreign to me.

From what I hear you can spend your entire life in Ottawa if you really want to.

Mithras said:
First choice was "Water, Fuels and Environmental Technician".   I spent three + years studying Environmental Protections so I was gunning for that position (would have helped me finish my co-op too).

I have education in Network Support and extensive knowledge with regards to computers so parts of Comm. Research shouldn't be too foreign to me.

Just so you know Comm. Research do not handle Network Support that is spread threw the Sig Op and LCIS trades on the army side and ATIS on the air side. This is also true with computer repair datacomms and most things dealing with direct support for computer systems.

As for what Comm. Research members do other then wait for their clearances I haven’t a clue :)

Darien said:
actualy, on the note of network support, we happen todo network support, it all depends on which section they are in within leitrum.  A communicator research operator can get lots of chances todo network support, CFNOC is a good spot for that.

Ultimatly, it all depends on where you get put when you are in the trade, though you have to be CPL or above to get into CFNOC.

I am relatively knowledged in this manner as I have had allot of dealings with people within the trade (once again, i'm related to people in the trade, and have met plenty of people within it)

Feel free to ask me questions, and i'll try my best to answer

So are you "in" the trade?

And I am sure that you people have all read the Rules of conduct for this site........and have a good knowledge of the following:

From OPSEC for CF Operations:

OPSEC is defined as the process, which gives a military operation appropriate security, using passive or active means , to deny the enemy knowledge of the dispositions, capabilities and intentions of friendly forces. 

As a member of army.ca you have agreed to the conduct guidelines as outlined by the owner.  They can be read here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937.0.html

Army.ca restrictions are not meant to restrict your freedom of general discussion.  For example,

a.  HUMINT - The requirements for HUMINT (CANFORGEN), its use on previous CF operations (Army Dispatches) and its employment (CF Doctrine) are readily available for all to see.  What is missing is its use on current and future planned operations.  This is the vital ground of OPSEC.

b.  ROE - ROE for specific operations are classified and the release of any information pertaining to ongoing or future operations is a breach of operational security.  We have members of the Canadian Forces deployed and the release of this information, intentional or otherwise, could place their lives at risk and potentially place your life at risk the next time you are deployed overseas.  Discussion should remain general in nature on what ROE are and why are they used and should avoid references to actual events. 

If you notice a questionable post, feel free to use the "report to moderator function".

Failure to adhere to army.ca policy could result in the issuing of warnings or if your actions are serious enough, it could be turned over to the military police to investigate.

Cheers

any information i have posted can be found on google if you search hard enough, just in responce to the message above about OPSEC.

Back