• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NavRes (NavCom) or ArmyRes (IST)

JSoff

Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey folks, it's been awhile.

I left RegF last April and went straight to SuppRes, I was originally waiting for an OT to go through for IST however I released prior to receiving an offer (I literally got an offer a month after releasing). During this time I was recovering from an injury, and wasn't prepared to do the FORCE test, fast forward to this year, I felt like I was still missing the military, and decided I'd get back in but this time just stay a Reservist (I am going back to school for another degree).

I applied at a local NavRes unit for Naval Communicator, did the FORCE test and interview, and now I am just waiting for someone at NavResHQ to sign the paperwork, however with the delay it's causing me to ponder on the Army Res and the IST trade.

There's a couple things that are making it a tough choice for me. Prior to leaving the RegF I submitted two PLAR requests based off of my current bachelor's degree in information technology and management, one was for IST and the other was for NavCom.

IST I was granted the Fol with successful xfer into trade:
Sig Fundamentals - Mod 1
RQ-IST-SIGs - Mods 1-5

NavCom I was granted the Fol:
a. Nav Comm QL3 mod 1 (122328); and
b. Nav Comm QL5A mod 1 (122501).

After speaking to someone in the NavCom trade they informed me at the reserve level, they just do a lot of DLN, and really not much IT work, the only time you get to enjoy yourself is on deployments (which I cannot do while during full time classes)

Where's I don't know anyone who's an IST and have no idea what they do at the unit level as a Reservist.

If I decided I want to go IST I would also be stuck doing an ATR position while waiting for the OT to go through. (As per the Sgt I spoke to at the local Sig regt)

Tldr: can't figure out if I want to do NavCom or IST

Only advice I’ll offer is: don’t get too concerned about OJT / pre-OFP time. Keep your eye on the prize and ask yourself what you want to be doing as a qualified member of the trade, and as a junior leader in what will probably be a few short years. Look at the three-to-five year horizon, not the one year one.

Hey folks, it's been awhile....

Only advice I’ll offer is: don’t get too concerned about OJT / pre-OFP time. Keep your eye on the prize and ask yourself what you want to be doing as a qualified member of the trade, and as a junior leader in what will probably be a few short years. Look at the three-to-five year horizon, not the one year one.

What brihard is saying is, DO NOT, go NavComm.

Hey folks, it's been awhile.

I left RegF last April and went straight to SuppRes, I was originally waiting for an OT to go through for IST however I released prior to receiving an offer (I literally got an offer a month after releasing). During this time I was recovering from an injury, and wasn't prepared to do the FORCE test, fast forward to this year, I felt like I was still missing the military, and decided I'd get back in but this time just stay a Reservist (I am going back to school for another degree).

I applied at a local NavRes unit for Naval Communicator, did the FORCE test and interview, and now I am just waiting for someone at NavResHQ to sign the paperwork, however with the delay it's causing me to ponder on the Army Res and the IST trade.

There's a couple things that are making it a tough choice for me. Prior to leaving the RegF I submitted two PLAR requests based off of my current bachelor's degree in information technology and management, one was for IST and the other was for NavCom.

IST I was granted the Fol with successful xfer into trade:
Sig Fundamentals - Mod 1
RQ-IST-SIGs - Mods 1-5

NavCom I was granted the Fol:
a. Nav Comm QL3 mod 1 (122328); and
b. Nav Comm QL5A mod 1 (122501).

After speaking to someone in the NavCom trade they informed me at the reserve level, they just do a lot of DLN, and really not much IT work, the only time you get to enjoy yourself is on deployments (which I cannot do while during full time classes)

Where's I don't know anyone who's an IST and have no idea what they do at the unit level as a Reservist.

If I decided I want to go IST I would also be stuck doing an ATR position while waiting for the OT to go through. (As per the Sgt I spoke to at the local Sig regt)

Tldr: can't figure out if I want to do NavCom or IST

But I can tell you really want to go Infantry, right? ;)

200.gif

Thanks folks for the answers 🤣 though it looks like for now (because I'm so far in the process for NavComm) I've been advised to wait until my TOS comes down from NavRes HQ, sign it for NavComm and then request a VOT for IST.

Back