• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Communicator Research

Always depends on what unit your part of, whats going on in the world, if there is a demand for your specialty and whether or not our political masters decide to send us. You will in your career be part of 6 month deployments that get cancelled and your home after a month and on the flip side you could be on week long deployment and be gone 6 months.

I read something else after making my first post this afternoon that said something about it being normal to be sent away for up to 3 months every 3 years. Something to that affect, at least. So, could that mean then that I would be away for 3 months (let's say), but then I would be on a posting at home for the rest of the 3 years?
Can you provide a source?I have been away for 6 months home for 2 months and then gone for 7 months.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Always depends on what unit your part of, whats going on in the world, if there is a demand for your specialty and whether or not our political masters decide to send us. You will in your career be part of 6 month deployments that get cancelled and your home after a month and on the flip side you could be on week long deployment and be gone 6 months.

Well, I do understand that you go where you're told. I know that's part of the deal-- My father was Navy and he was off on ship quite a bit. I was just hoping to avoid certain parts, you know? <laughs> Naive, probably.
I don't want my kids growing up without me, you know what I mean?

Ex-Dragoon said:
Can you provide a source?I have been away for 6 months home for 2 months and then gone for 7 months.

Hmmm, no, sorry, man. I can't remember where I read that, or even whether it was an "official" source. Perhaps it was just a generalization?

Okay, one more question: Based on your own experiences or things you've heard, would you be any more or less likely to be tapped for long-term deployment based upon which branch of the service you join? Army, Navy, Air, I mean?

Comms Research is a "purple" trade, so it doesn't matter what element you're in to be deployed somewhere. You can be an Army guy on a Boat with the Navy, or posted to an Air Force unit, or stuck in the dusty tents with the infantry if you're an Air Force.

Again, If you're looking to not be deployed or be away from your family for a long period of time, this trade isn't for you. You could see anywhere from 2-3 years until you have a permanent posting(being stuck in a Single Quarters room with 4 other dudes in Kingston or Borden while on course or waiting for course). I think you may want to look at police forces as an option before you commit to the CF.

gelan said:
Comms Research is a "purple" trade, so it doesn't matter what element you're in to be deployed somewhere. You can be an Army guy on a Boat with the Navy, or posted to an Air Force unit, or stuck in the dusty tents with the infantry if you're an Air Force.

Okay, that makes sense. So, depending on my posting, I could be wearing a Navy uniform while on a ship or fatigues while in a "dusty tent?" It sounds like you're saying there is no "standard" uniform, but that doesn't make much sense to me-- Am I understanding wrong? Please excuse me if this is a silly question; I'm learning as much as possible.

gelan said:
Again, If you're looking to not be deployed or be away from your family for a long period of time, this trade isn't for you. You could see anywhere from 2-3 years until you have a permanent posting(being stuck in a Single Quarters room with 4 other dudes in Kingston or Borden while on course or waiting for course). I think you may want to look at police forces as an option before you commit to the CF.

I see; that's discouraging news! So, what you're saying is that I would, after the BMQ, be in group housing (I don't want to say orphanage, but. . .) for anywhere up to 3 years? It was my understanding that after BMQ, once I'm sent to where ever I go to train for the 45 weeks (approx.), the military would move my wife down and we could either buy or rent a place while I train. It sounds like you're saying that isn't the case?

The police is a good career, I'm sure. I'm not sure that would be the one for me, though. I have this thing where I don't like to get shot at. I don't mind violence and the general requirements of "fighting crime" and war, of course, but prefer to be in a position where I am guaranteed a win-- Which is why the 291 appeals to me-- It's sneaky and gives our guys the advantage over the other guys with guns.

Intentionalcyn said:
Okay, that makes sense. So, depending on my posting, I could be wearing a Navy uniform while on a ship or fatigues while in a "dusty tent?" It sounds like you're saying there is no "standard" uniform, but that doesn't make much sense to me-- Am I understanding wrong? Please excuse me if this is a silly question; I'm learning as much as possible.

No, what I'm saying is that if you choose Army as your element, wherever you go, you'll be dressed as army. If you choose Navy, wherever you go, you'll be dressed as Navy. BUT Army guys can be posted to Naval and Air Force units interchangeably, and vice-versa. Hope that's clear enough

I see; that's discouraging news! So, what you're saying is that I would, after the BMQ, be in group housing (I don't want to say orphanage, but. . .) for anywhere up to 3 years? It was my understanding that after BMQ, once I'm sent to where ever I go to train for the 45 weeks (approx.), the military would move my wife down and we could either buy or rent a place while I train. It sounds like you're saying that isn't the case?

From when you enroll, until you are finally posted to your first "permanent" unit, you will be living in Single Quarters. While in BMQ, you'll be living in St. Jean for however long BMQ is now.

Once you're done BMQ, you will be posted to Kingston, but subsequently Attatch Posted to a unit in Borden called Post-Recruit Education and Training Centre (PRETC), which is the dumping ground for people after they're done BMQ and such while they wait for their actual Trade course to start who are headed to either Borden, Kingston, or Trenton(i believe). Your stay there could be anywhere from 3months to the extreme of 3 years, depending on circumstances, but usually less than a year. THEN you are off to your course in Kingston. The first phase of the course is unclassified, and you can do this at your initial Clearance level. This phase is relatively short, I gather. Once you're done the first phase, you are sometimes sent back to PRETC to wait for your Security Clearance to be upgraded to level 3(Top Secret) so you can continue with the training. OR you may be kept in Kingston for On the Job Training(OJT). This limbo period can take a year or more while CSIS gets your clearance taken care of. Then the rest of the course. About another 8-10 months( I don't remember how long Phase 2 is).

This whole time, if you want your family close to you, you will have to move them to you on your own dime. You will be staying in the Single Quarters though. You won't be eligible for a military-funded family move until you're out of training and posted somewhere(usually Ottawa). I think while you're in PRETC, you can apply for on base housing for your family where you can live with them, but again that move is on your own dime.

The police is a good career, I'm sure. I'm not sure that would be the one for me, though. I have this thing where I don't like to get shot at. I don't mind violence and the general requirements of "fighting crime" and war, of course, but prefer to be in a position where I am guaranteed a win-- Which is why the 291 appeals to me-- It's sneaky and gives our guys the advantage over the other guys with guns.

Keep in mind that when you are deployed, you usually are "outside the wire" and in just as dangerous situations as anyone else. If you're worried about getting shot at, the CF definitely is NOT for you.  There is more chance for you to be a casualty in the CF than in a police force. Sorry, but that's the reality.

[Mods:I don't think any of that is OPSEC related, if it is, please remove]

gelan said:
No, what I'm saying is that if you choose Army as your element, wherever you go, you'll be dressed as army. If you choose Navy, wherever you go, you'll be dressed as Navy. BUT Army guys can be posted to Naval and Air Force units interchangeably, and vice-versa. Hope that's clear enough

That is perfectly clear; thanks for clarifying!

gelan said:
From when you enroll, until you are finally posted to your first "permanent" unit, you will be living in Single Quarters. While in BMQ, you'll be living in St. Jean for however long BMQ is now.

---snip---

Keep in mind that when you are deployed, you usually are "outside the wire" and in just as dangerous situations as anyone else. If you're worried about getting shot at, the CF definitely is NOT for you.  There is more chance for you to be a casualty in the CF than in a police force. Sorry, but that's the reality.

Well, now *this* is definitly not the way the recruiter made it sound. <laughs> I suppose that happens a lot. I can understand the military not paying for the move, though, until I've completed training-- There would be a certain percentage of people who don't pass, and they wouldn't want to spend money on someone that can't hack it. I would hate to be that guy.
I can see why they do it the way they do it, but just the same, they certainly make it hard for a guy with a family, don't they? Did you have any problems along my lines, Gelan? Not wanting to be far from your wife if you could help it?
This is certainly something extra to consider, that's for sure. So, supposing that we pay for the move and get her housing and all that off-base, am I able to live with them? Or do I have to live on base the entire time during this waiting period (whether it lasts 3 months or 3 years)? I've read that I would be doing general duties (helping out where ever I'm told, basically) while waiting for my Security Clearance, and getting paid of course, but am I confined to base?

I would imagine most everyone would be worried about getting shot at. The trick for most is not letting that worry consume them. <laughs>

Thanks very much for continuing to answer my questions!! How long have you been in this particular track? (I have trouble calling it a trade. I'm an HVAC guy, and I think of that as a trade; plumbing, heating, drywall, etc. Military work seems to be to be a higher calling than "just a trade.")

Intentionalcyn,

your advice on this board has been bang on.

I've just finished 20 years as a 291'er (Comm Rsch), and retired as a MWO at Leitrim.  Three six month'ers overseas, three six month'ers in Alert in the high Arctic, more three month trips than I want to count, and a minimum of two years away from my home unit taking training courses.  I will tell you up front. Do not pick this trade if you are not willing to commit to deployments.  There are a number of Comm Rsch who work in jobs that won't require them to deploy but they are now the minority.  The CF doesn't need folks who can't deploy, or who get promoted to such a level that they are useless in the field, or on board ship when they do get deployed.  The career manager now looks for the future talent of the trade, and tries to make sure they get field time.  For the first time (regardless of uniform colour) the chances of promotion in Comm Rsch are directly tied to deployments.  As for why the three uniforms, don't get me started .......

It is a great trade, you don't get to talk about it, but you can get immense job satisfaction.  As for 'always winning ...."  Sorry, not so.  We have our 'Tom Clancy'esqe' moments, but this is real world.  We play to win, and so do those who wish to hurt us.  We win some, we lose some, fortunately we win more than we lose.  The good NCO's take it all very personally.  I've attended ramp ceremonies and shed my quiet tears and always walked away more driven then ever.  In our Electronic Warfare (EW) capacity we deploy outside the wire.  Our folks aboard ship see their share of deployments as well.  I was fortunate to have been one of the ones who had a mixed technical and Army EW background when 9/11 happened.  That is the future of Comm Rsch, technically savvy, but able to do their combat support role alongside the infantry/recce/armd/etc.  Enough said. 

I wish you well.  Do some soul searching and if you are ready for the challenge than I'll see you in the mess at Leitrim at some point.  We need good men and women in the "trade."  If not, then I wish you luck in whatever you choose. 

EW said:
Intentionalcyn,

your advice on this board has been bang on.

I've just finished 20 years as a 291'er (Comm Rsch), and retired as a MWO at Leitrim. 

--snip --

I wish you well.  Do some soul searching and if you are ready for the challenge than I'll see you in the mess at Leitrim at some point.  We need good men and women in the "trade."  If not, then I wish you luck in whatever you choose. 

Rarely do you read something and get a very real sense of the pride someone has for their job. I completely got that when I read your post, EW. Thank you very much for your frank explinations. It's an interesting thing to read things you don't know if you can handle (long deployments will be harder on my wife than I, but when she hurts, I hurt, which I'm sure you understand), but with each sentence, you want it even more. Damn frustrating is what it is.

Silly of me to expect it to be an easy decision. <laughs & shakes head> I wish I was the type who could sign up, run through the initial 5 years, then quit if I didn't like it. Unfortunately, I'm more of a play for keeps type which means more thinking and planning.
My concerns are, *I think,* the same as anyone else's before enlisting, and you're right, there's a great deal of soul searching invoved.

Seriously, thanks very much for taking the time to answer this guy's questions!!

A.

Sorry to bring another topic-from-the dead, but I thought it would be wiser to post here than start a new thread (Mods can correct me on this if they please).

I've received my job offer for COMM RSCH 291/00120 and can hardly contain my enthusiasm! I will be sworn in 25 Oct 07 and BMQ set date is 14 Dec 07 (no idea on serial until Swear-In).

I'm 20 years old, a pretty curious kid, and have spent much of my time on the computer and other IT systems. I took a lot of time deciding which trade I would apply for, and I'm happy I switched 1st choice from Sig Op to COMM RSCH. If all goes well on my 1st contract, I wouldn't hesitate signing up for my 2nd. I have many questions, but I know, bounded by OPSEC, many can't be answered until I achieve my LvIII.

Therefore, I will ask as many questions as I can pertaining to base-life, and do invite any 291'ers to post details on why they joined, what their preconceived thoughts were about the trade, and afterthoughts after their 3's and 5's:

Regarding demographics, what is the mean age for 291s? Is it predominately tech-savvy people as well?

Any base-specific comments about the shacks? Comfortable/not, cozy? On the economy today, is it worth renting elsewhere? I'll look to buy after my VIE.

Same with meal plans, Rat Card or PAYG?

To anyones knowledge, has the CF lost any COMM RSCH operators from any recent OPs? I really haven't seen much talk about casualties trade-specific, even though 291'ers are deployed frequently? (Seems safer than the norm.)

Any idea with the sudden surge in recruitment for the trade? Has it to do with something specific, the baby-boomers retiring, an expansion of the trade? Any info here would be great!

In regards to DEUs what is the majority out there?

I know a few of these questions can be answered with my own experiences when I start my 3's and hit my posting, but as you can see I'm quite a curious recruit and love to research as much as I can about anything significant to my life or interest. The decision to join the Canadian Forces has to be one of my most important decisions in life. I look forward to serving with you all, and can't wait to get to CFS Leitrim.

PteR L.

I've just started my phase 1.

jmlz87 said:
Regarding demographics, what is the mean age for 291s? Is it predominately tech-savvy people as well?

You will find people from all walks of life, lots of age ranges, and a huge range of skills when it comes to computers/tech.

Any base-specific comments about the shacks? Comfortable/not, cozy? On the economy today, is it worth renting elsewhere? I'll look to buy after my VIE.

After your BMQ, you will go to PRETC in borden and rot for a few weeks(at best, more likely it'll be months). Don't let the monotony and BS get to you there though. Keep your kit in tip top shape though, it'll help you once you actually get on course. While you're on PRETC, try and get an SQ course, no matter what element you are, you have to have it in our trade, so you might as well get it on your "down time" in Borden.

Once you get to kingston, you will be in the shacks for the entirety of your Phase 1, and guaranteed you will be sick of them before then. I have 3 years experience in the RCR, and these shacks even get me frustrated at times with how high the cleanliness standard is. Shacks are shacks. Take them for what they are.

After phase 1, you can put a memo in to request to move out, and a lot of people do, and they usually want you to. The shacks have to have room for students on course, so they will "encourage" you to GTFO ;)

Don't forget that you will need to wait to get your clearance, so chances are you may be 3 years into your contract before you finish your 3's. Be prepared for long waits and little information haha.

Same with meal plans, Rat Card or PAYG?

Every base i've been to is you pay a flat fee every month, usually around $400, and you get a meal card that you can go to the mess with, eat as much as you want.

To anyones knowledge, has the CF lost any COMM RSCH operators from any recent OPs? I really haven't seen much talk about casualties trade-specific, even though 291'ers are deployed frequently? (Seems safer than the norm.)

I don't know for sure, but I don't think any of the deaths have been 291ers. Can someone correct me?

Any idea with the sudden surge in recruitment for the trade? Has it to do with something specific, the baby-boomers retiring, an expansion of the trade? Any info here would be great!

Both. Recent and upcoming retirements are going to strip the trade of a lot of people.  With the world climate, our skills are becoming more and more valuable to commanders all over the world, so there needs to be more of us to fill those new jobs.

In regards to DEUs what is the majority out there?

What about the DEUs? DEUs are dependent on your element. You can find a lot of info on the uniforms all over this site, and the web in general.

Good luck!

Hi all, i have applied for Comm Res as my first choice, i have read alot of information as well as talked to a Op that has been in the trade for 23 years. i do have a couple of questions. first, i was told that after BMQ and SQ(if i choose army element) that they will have me start my QL3, although that the second part can take some time to start due to the long wait in getting clearance. is this correct? or will i still be put into PRETC for a long period of time?

Also, i was told that while in kingston if i wish to stay in kingston i can request that my first posting be in kingston, is this also correct? if so can someone give me an idea of what MQ's are like on base? and what the rent is for a 3 or 4 bdrm MQ, or what the relative rent off base. I have a wife and 2 young children and that is why i ask. I was also told that as soon as i start my training in Kingston that i can have them come out and stay with me and that i can get MQ's instead of single quarters, is this also true? 

as far as what the trade does, being deployed and the such i have no problem with any of it and the actual job itself appeals greatly to me.

thanks in advance to anyone that replies

Thank you for that link Shamrock.

Is there anyone else that could help answer my other questions?

JBoyd said:
Thank you for that link Shamrock.

Is there anyone else that could help answer my other questions?

You will be posted to Kingston so you will be entitled to have your family moved with you and live off-base or in MQs.

niceasdrhuxtable said:
You will be posted to Kingston so you will be entitled to have your family moved with you and live off-base or in MQs.

will i be able to have them move there when i start QL3?

Is there any way to get one of the 3's math packages before entering the trade? Would it be possible/OPSEC for someone to scan me the package electronically? I'm not the best math guy out there, so I want to see if I can do the job before wasting my time, and the CF's...

Cheers.

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time in PRETC to do the pre QL3 math pack. The CQ at PRETC issues them to all comms research.

So where is PRETC for Comm Res and how long can I expect to be there for? Approx.  If it is in Kingston, Ont. then im stoked.

Back