• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Communicator Research

lateralus said:
I'm kinda surprised i'm hearing about this on here and not by my recruiter. Guess he doesn't really know much about this trade.  Anyways, how long have you been a 291?  I'm kinda happy they at least ask for your preference of where you'd like to be.  Where have you spent most of your time so far?  And yea, the uniforms are nice aren't they? :)

pm inbound

How much time do you spent in front of computers?
Does the work vary from day to day?
What kind of skills to you use everyday?

mear said:
How much time do you spent in front of computers?
Does the work vary from day to day?
What kind of skills to you use everyday?

I'm just wondering if someone could give a general overview of what the job is actually like.

Does Comms Rsch open the door to Intelligence?

mear

You are just too "innocent" (to be polite).  Why not click on this LINK and see if you can figure out if and when someone in the know will answer all your questions.

CDN Aviator said:
They'll ask but don't expect to actually get your choice.

And when you get Army and your sitting in Halifax on your navy indoc course thingy...

The only Benefit to the Army uniform is you can wear combats.Last time I was at leitrim the Naval pers and Air force were forced to stop wearing combats and start wearing dress uniform.

(this is dated info..about 2 years)

Thanks for all the great info on this tread, I have a few questions, hope you guys can answer.

I just turned 33, previous Reg Force Nav Comm, currently transferring from Reserve to Reg Force, long story short.  This is my 12Th year in the Navy, Reg Force and Reserve.
I guess it is a early mid life crisis.  Civy Life, I am a Network Admin at a University.

What I getting too is Comm Research or ATIS Tech, which one to pick?

I have passed all the recruiting center stuff, Recruit School By Pass, Don't have to do SQ but I am starting over again.  My better half is currently in Basic, getting ready to become a Traffic Tech.

Suggestions/Recommendations 

Just a little update.

Still here in the glorious St-Jean Garrison, 23 weeks now. Had a little run in with a knee injury that ended up recoursing 4 weeks back. I'm now beginning week 8, which is test week and workup to Farnham. Finally, just one more week and I'll be out of Garrison. I've seen a few COMM RSCH graduate, I'm wondering if any of them are on here, typing away from PRETC in Borden? (R0099 and up?). If there are, give me a heads up what to expect when I board that bus to freedom after the next 5 weeks?

Just on the last leg of the training, knees keeping up and I hope to be in Borden sooner than later (really the MEGA is just driving me nuts).

Would a COMM RSCH Op be involved in the placing of any surveillance equipment or would they only receive the transmitted information? If not, who would do so? An LCIS Tech? I'm interested in doing both field work and office work, but not strictly one or the other.

You're testing the waters into some security issues that won't get discussed here. However, as a 291er most of your work is at a desk, but you can be posted to 2 EW Sqn in Kingston and ride a desk that's attached to a Bison in the field.

I apologize. I'm not looking for any further information other than a yes, no or a career path in the CF. I'm very interested in the field work aspect and was wondering what I should be applying for to do so. I do realize that it would likely take many years to get to this level, but would be more than happy to put in the time to get there. I've tried searching the internet for over 2 weeks and asking friends that are in the military to no avail. Nobody is sure.

On a different note, what is a Bison? Sorry, I'm very new to all of this.

Also, do the 291er's have a PT element like infantry and combat engineers or is it once a year like the recruiters?

Wow my last post was from the MEGA at the Bistro... that was a while ago.

BMQ done May 08, SQ done June 08 with 2 stints (before and after SQ) in glorious CFB Borden - PRETC. Finished QL3 PH1 in Oct and now ATT POSTED to CFRC Vancouver working as an FM in Processing. Now I know why it took me 8 months to get in!

Hoping to get my TS/SA sometime this summer/fall, then back to CFSCE for PH2 and then put in my request for 2EW. Ottawa wouldn't be bad but the CM will make you go to 2EW at sometime in your career so it's IMHO the best choice.

Finished my QL1 Phase 1 on 12 December.  Been sitting around waiting for SQ since.  Being sent back to PRETC on Monday to continue to wait, and make more money.

Theres no such thing as QL1 an I don't think there ever has been. I think you meant to say your finished your BMQ.

I think he meant QL3 PH1... but I could be wrong.

Yeah all my navy buddies had to await SQ courses, some did it in Meaford some in Valcartier. Lucky me got it done while I was on PRETC.

Hi..My Name is Keith and I'm 18 years old

I enjoy long walks and.... errr nevermind  ;D :p

Seriously though, I have a few questions about this trade..

Can an 18 year old join it?
What are the requirements to joining it?
How do I go about applying?
How long does the training and other things take before I do the trade full time?
How long does one have to be in the trade?

The trade sounds really good. I get to sit infront of computer, I like figuring out things, I'm quite interested in the trade and from what I've read, it can be a fun job. I'm hoping that I can get into it.

Thanks for anyone who answers my questions. I appreciate it very much :).

Keith; don't expect to be hand fed this info.. if you were really interested in this trade you'd search for info about it.. search this site.. or maybe check out the Canadian Force Recruiting website, etc

I did search the site but it doesn't tell me much about requirements or age..I know to join the army you must be atleast 17 with parents permission.

I know how to apply to the army but maybe there is a different procedure on going about this.

I thought I was able to ask questions and get answers. That is what the point of this topic is about. I don't know much, I didn't find out much, maybe I was looking in the wrong place. I came here for my questions to be answered.

Kanadian-Keith said:
I did search the site but it doesn't tell me much about requirements or age..I know to join the army you must be atleast 17 with parents permission.

I know how to apply to the army but maybe there is a different procedure on going about this.

I thought I was able to ask questions and get answers. That is what the point of this topic is about. I don't know much, I didn't find out much, maybe I was looking in the wrong place. I came here for my questions to be answered.

Your questions have been answered.  You just haven't read them yet.

Kanadian-Keith said:
I'll have to look through this topic to find my answers. I hope I can find them.

Don't just go through this topic, Keith.  Also look through the recruiting and medical threads as well.  As a hint, the most commonly asked questions (and other good info) are usually "stickied" at the top of each sub-thread.

Kanadian-Keith said:

CF Recruiting site
http://www.forces.ca/html/communicatorresearchoperator_reg_en.aspx
Also; calling/visiting your nearest Recruiting Centre would be good aswell.

An what I find after doing a search... only took a couple minutes to search through the threads an find some good ones with info.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/78481.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/45501.0.html - this the link to page one of this thread

Back