• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Carrying non military issue knives

Dkeh said:
My SOG seal pup got stolen from my kit on the G8  :mad:

The other problem with non issue kit. Some people are attracted to it and /or if it gets lost the CQMS can't get you an new one.

Too true. It was very handy for the time leading up to it's theft. I killed a lot of 550 cord with it. I also sharpened a stick to make it pointy, and carved my initials into a tree while on an OP (which I later got yelled at for).

Yup, sure was useful.

Danjanou said:
The other problem with non issue kit. Some people are attracted to it and /or if it gets lost the CQMS can't get you an new one.

How true.

Not only that, lose your knife (or chest rig, boots or other "Gucci" kit you have purchased) and the Crown has no responsibility to replace it.

Jim Seggie said:
How true.

Not only that, lose your knife (or chest rig, boots or other "Gucci" kit you have purchased) and the Crown has no responsibility to replace it.

But the member  does have a responsibility to replace it often enough.

I'm quite the knife savy person, I pretty much live and breath knives. I'm no "mall ninja," with the need to have a knife to cut people and look cool. However I am incredibly accustomed to carrying a knife on my at damn near all times.

Would I be able to get away with a decent cheap small pocket knife? The Ontario Rat 1 I've heard is a popular choice, with about a 3 inch blade. It would just sit in my pocket and may never see light as I've understood through reading part of this thread. Would that be ok?

Rafael said:
It would just sit in my pocket and may never see light as I've understood through reading part of this thread.

Then it would make as much sense to carry one as me taking a chainsaw with me, even though it'd never get used. 

Couple more knives;

The Dawn Warrior and  Cuma Tak-ri 2 (what?) from Tops Knives.

The latter looks a little crazy but I'm considering the former to replace my Seal Pup- they seem to be about the same size.

TP33.jpg

TPCUMATK02.jpg

Micarta handles?  Looks like a Kydex sheath, thoughts on if those are worth the $?

The Warrior looks awful lot like the ESEE 5 handle on a Becker 7 blade to me  :nod:. 

Anyone have any opinions on the Gerber Silver Trident? I'm on the market for a new knife, my Seal Pup met an untimely demise at a Wildfire. . . The Cuma Tak-Ri, I can't help but be consistently reminded of a Kukri. . .

BadgerTrapper said:
Anyone have any opinions on the Gerber Silver Trident?

Aside from my issued multi-tool, I've stayed away from Gerber.  The steel on some of their stuff (7Cr17Mov) is coming out of China and is junk IMO (the Bear Grylls line and that new hunter one, for example).  I was looking at the LMF but you can't get one without a serrrated edge.  I think they need to re-think some of their product line on the knife side of things.  :2c:

Eye In The Sky said:
Micarta handles?  Looks like a Kydex sheath, thoughts on if those are worth the $?
From personal experience I would sat definitely.

The Warrior looks awful lot like the ESEE 5 handle on a Becker 7 blade to me  :nod:.
Huge resemblance for sure.  The Dawn Warrior seems a little more aggressive though

I'm going to guess Tak-Ri is one of those oh so clever hybridizations of "tactical"  and "kukri".  I wouldn't buy it just on principle, lol.

;D  that made me laugh Kat, I went to their site earlier as I'd never heard of it before.

http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=381

"Introducing the CUMA TAK-RI (Tactical Kukri) fixed combat/sportsman/survival/camp knife with FULL Woodsman-Style handles."

Where does the grenade launcher mount on it?

Eye In The Sky said:
Aside from my issued multi-tool, I've stayed away from Gerber.  The steel on some of their stuff (7Cr17Mov) is coming out of China and is junk IMO (the Bear Grylls line and that new hunter one, for example).  I was looking at the LMF but you can't get one without a serrrated edge.  I think they need to re-think some of their product line on the knife side of things.  :2c:

Agreed 100%, I like to think that the Silver Trident is their attempt to get back into the good graces of AVID knife collectors/Military/Law Enforcement/Basically anyone who needs to use the knives on a rigorous or just daily basis. I loved SOG Seal Pup for the fact that I could do just about anything with it. . . Owned it for 2 1/2 years, sharpened it once.

BadgerTrapper said:
Agreed 100%, I like to think that the Silver Trident is their attempt to get back into the good graces of AVID knife collectors/Military/Law Enforcement/Basically anyone who needs to use the knives on a rigorous or just daily basis. I loved SOG Seal Pup for the fact that I could do just about anything with it. . . Owned it for 2 1/2 years, sharpened it once.

IMO, it is a nice blade, but alittle pricey for the average Joe (or Jane).  But their 'affordable' stuff like the BG Ultimate knife, they could have skipped the things like the probably useless whistle, the sharpening stone, etc and used better steel.  Kinda takes away from the company "credibility" to me so I looked elsewhere and picked up a Ka-bar BK2 and (aside from the crap out of the box sheath I had to mod) I was happy and felt I got my $90 CAD worth of steel.  It's like a freakin pry-bar with a handle (1/4" wide blade).

Back